Books Are Back

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6884
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 9:35 AM

The only advantage I see to a dead tree book is that it doesn't run out of batteries, but then again, if the lights go out and you don't have a flashlight a book is useless too. Other than that an ebook is better and lasts longer in the long run. Better note taking and highlights; which you can edit as you please :) go green and save a tree...buy an ebook!

DAL

Posts 28125
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 10:28 AM

George Somsel:
You didn't by any chance mean "I wonder what they think about the tissue," did you?

I did. It was a typo. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2894
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2016 7:16 AM

But wait, there's more...(or should I say, 'Moore')?

http://www.russellmoore.com/2016/07/15/signposts-prefer-books-e-readers/

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 28125
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2016 7:39 AM

I would have skimmed an article, but I'm not going to take the time to listen. Care to give the highlights?

I did think this was humorous: 

Russell Moore:
Recently I read that sales of e-readers like the Kindle had slowed, and that sales of physical books had risen. This made sense to me, since over the past couple of years I’ve realized that I almost totally prefer bound books to digital versions.

What "makes sense" to him, is fallacious two ways:

1. the sale of kindle devices can't be contrasted with the sale of print books
  2. his personal preference (and shopping habits) don't cause sales numbers to rise 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2016 7:45 AM

I have three children (27 to 22). The oldest is the most likely to use e-books. The youngest firmly prefers print books. He has avoided whenever possible e-books at college. I have read in the past that there is a return to print books in the millennial age bracket.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2016 6:26 AM

A couple of data points:

1. Major publishers have raised ebook prices to match physical books. This has had an easily anticipated effect of reducing ebook sales.

2. The primary reporters of this data is... the major publishers. Who have no incentive to report in ways favorable to their preferred business model, right? Cool

Posts 2835
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2016 5:57 PM

There are some books I want in paper, though most of those I would like an electronic copy, too, for reading.

One example is the new critical edition of Wesley's Works.  As released I am buying copies in hardback format, but I also bought Abingdon's terrible electronic format.  If Logos ever publishes it, I will buy the Logos version, too.

There are hardback books that I am sentimental about, even though I no longer use them.  These are books that I literally bought with blood - well plasma.  While in seminary over 40 years ago I sold plasma to buy special books that I could not afford any other way.  These books include my set of Kittel's "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament" and Moulton and Geden's Greek Concordance.   If you buy a book with blood, it will always be special to you.  They will always have a proud place on my bookshelves.

There are many nonreligious books that I prefer in paper.  I collect old copies (some 90 years old) by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  I collect some of the classics, and some not so classic books.  I collect old children's books written from 1900 through the 1930's.  I collect books of folktales - especially those by Joel Chandler Harris.  I collect books about history and biography.

But my Bible library and related books I prefer in Logos!

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS