Question for Experienced Reformed Conservatives

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 179
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:54 PM

Does anyone know if there are any "liberal" works in Logos 4 Platinum that I should be extra cautious about?

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 6:40 PM

Liberal can be a relative term. Some would say Calvin was liberal because he believed regeneration was an ongoing process. )even though historically it was held that way(  I am sure there are liberal works in platinum, but as long as you are grounded in the truth you will be fine. I read both liberal, and conservative works.. I read every perspective I can. A wise man has many counselors.

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 7:21 PM

Blair Laird:

Some would say Calvin was liberal because he believed regeneration was an ongoing process.

Are you sure about that? All I could confirm was the total opposite. Calvin held a "Monergistic Regeneration" while Arminianism holds a "synergistic" view but I'd like to know if I'm wrong since I am studying Calvin and am right now reading B. B. Warfield's "Calvin and Calvinism"

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 7:40 PM

John Hapgood:
Are you sure about that? All I could confirm was the total opposite. Calvin held a "Monergistic Regeneration" while Arminianism holds a "synergistic" view but I'd like to know if I'm wrong since I am studying Calvin and am right now reading B. B. Warfield's "Calvin and Calvinism"

Sure I actually started a topic on this subject in my forum. I have been going through Calvin 500 and finding very good stuff. You can follow the link on under my post it goes to my forum. If I was to quote the info here this discussion will get off topic. Look under the general section there is a post on "calvin and regeneration" also a post in soteriology under "calvin and justification". Blessings in your studies, feel free to respond to those quotes...

forum.divinesoteriology.com

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 7:53 PM

Blair Laird:

Sure I actually started a topic on this subject in my forum. I have been going through Calvin 500 and finding very good stuff. You can follow the link on under my post it goes to my forum. If I was to quote the info here this discussion will get off topic. Look under the general section there is a post on "calvin and regeneration" also a post in soteriology under "calvin and justification". Blessings in your studies, feel free to respond to those quotes...

forum.divinesoteriology.com

OK I found it just a few minutes ago in the book Repentance and Remission on page 242. I'll take a look at your forum . . . Oops I found the Fourm but I cant find the topic.

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:11 PM

Those commenting on Calvin say he held the same view as Luther but if you read what he says himself he seems to go both ways. It's as if he uses the word in more than one context/definition. I'll figure it out in a year or two when I've read a lot more. It took me three years to read John Owen. I'm sure it will take me longer than that to read John Calvin. I get distracted easily.

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:17 PM

John Hapgood:

Those commenting on Calvin say he held the same view as Luther but if you read what he says himself he seems to go both ways. It's as if he uses the word in more than one context/definition. I'll figure it out in a year or two when I've read a lot more. It took me three years to read John Owen. I'm sure it will take me longer than that to read John Calvin. I get distracted easily.

Calvin saw justification and regeneration to be very similar doctrines. See his contention with Osiander... God justifies but it is not just a matter of him declare us righteous. But he also conforms into the righteousness of Christ. (regeneration)

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:18 PM

John Hapgood:
OK I found it just a few minutes ago in the book Repentance and Remission on page 242. I'll take a look at your forum . . . Oops I found the Fourm but I cant find the topic.

There are a few topic on it.

http://forum.divinesoteriology.com/index.php?tid=25

http://forum.divinesoteriology.com/index.php?tid=26

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:20 PM

This thread was kind of derailed.

To the OP, I'd say that there is nothing theologically liberal that I am concerned about. Furthermore, there is a good balance of material, so consult multiple references and you'll be fine. Has anybody come across works that you'd like to bring to the attention of the OP?

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 8:21 PM

GarrettHo:

This thread was kind of derailed.

To the OP, I'd say that there is nothing theologically liberal that I am concerned about. Furthermore, there is a good balance of material, so consult multiple references and you'll be fine. Has anybody come across works that you'd like to bring to the attention of the OP?

Thanks for bringing it back on topic.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 9:13 PM

I think you should be extra cautious about everything you read Smile Every writer will have various biases and its important to interact with what they actually say rather than what label they may wear.

To answer you question more helpfully, be careful when reading bible dictionaries and encyclopedias - they have a broad range of contributors and you may not even know who's writing a particular article; it's useful to look at more than one and see if they're saying similar things. Most commentary series have a range of authors and there can be variety within any commentary series in the views of the authors, this is particularly noticeable in some of the more scholarly commentary sets like Word, Anchor Yale Bible, Hermeneia (popular Logos titles, but not in Platinum); whereas BECNT, Pillar, NICOT/NICNT tend to be consistently conservative.

Don't be afraid to read broadly, it's important to be able to benefit and learn from the insights of scholars of any persuasion, even if you might ultimately come to different conclusions...

Posts 41
Ron Christensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 9:35 PM

Be extra cautious of Arminian Spammers also! Wink

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 10:44 PM

I have the same collection.  I have read a lot of books from it and will read a lot more.

I would  be wary of every single one of them with the exception of the Bible.  Yes

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:32 PM

Ron Christensen:

Be extra cautious of Arminian Spammers also! Wink

Wow!

Bohuslav

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:48 PM

Calvin sounds pretty Arminian in the sense that he believed baptism washed away our sins.  The Bible says we're justified by faith, not baptism.  I'm glad we could simply be Biblicists and neither Calvinist or Arminian! Confused

"We ought to consider that at whatever time we are baptised, we are washed and purified once for the whole of life. Wherefore, as often as we fall, we must recall the remembrance of our baptism, and thus fortify our minds, so as to feel certain and secure of the remission of sins."  Institutes of Christian Religion IV, xv, 3

Jason Saling

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:58 AM

Hermeneia, Anchor, and ICC are all liberal generally but that does not mean they have nothing to offer. Quite often liberal scholars have great insights into the technical grammar of the texts they are commenting on.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 1:12 AM

dereklbrowning@yahoo.com:

Does anyone know if there are any "liberal" works in Logos 4 Platinum that I should be extra cautious about?

Derek,

If you just want something 'safe', then probably Platinum is not for you. What makes Bible study exciting is finding out truth for yourself. Doing that always brings the danger that you will come up with bad ideas, possibly influenced by other 'bad' theologians, possibly just influenced by your own weaknesses and sinful nature.

However, I believe Bible study was intended by God to be public. Many early Christians couldn't read, it took more than 1,500 years of Christian history until it was normal for Christians to own even part of the Bible themselves. That's why I always recommend studying the Bible as a corporate activity - either corporate in that you teach publicly what you learn privately, or in that you study as part of a group. That way we can learn from one another and others can help is be discerning where we need it. If we study alone, we'll probably be led astray by our own prejudices and sinfulness. After all, that's one of the reasons God gave us churches Smile

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 179
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:46 AM

Hey All,

I'm actually just ranking some of the books as I'm exploring which ones will suit me the best as I begin my Logos Platinum Journey.  I agree with reading material from all angles and affirm Sola Scriptura, I would never put Calvin, Luther, Spurgeon, Carson, or Piper, or any theologian above the Bible.

I'm just not familiar with the majority of the works/contributors in Platinum, and when staring at 1200 resources, I'd like to prioritize my efforts to know what levels of caution I use on various texts.

IE: if there has been liberal contributions to a resource (liberal in the sense they deny the infallibility and sufficiency of scripture, and perform poor exegesis/hermeneutics) I may read those when I'm on top of my game and able to better discern error from truth, or have the time to investigate deeper, but when I'm just perusing some resources before I go to bed and just want something solid to chew on with less discernment and limited time to dig into...

Are there any resources to look at more critically than others?

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:49 AM

Jon:
Don't be afraid to read broadly, it's important to be able to benefit and learn from the insights of scholars of any persuasion, even if you might ultimately come to different conclusions...

Well said - thank you.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:52 AM

As I peruse this thread I too am interested in how many of those "godless" liberal authors are in the products put out by Logos.  

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS