Morphological search mi verbs

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4
JP | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2016 4:55 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for all "mi" verbs in Mark. Is it possible to make a lemma search including all mi verbs? or all "ao" or "oo" verbs?

Or should I do it through all individual mi verbs I know?

I'm doing like this: Lemma:didomi, then lemma: istemi, etc... but I only the most common verbs.

Regards,

JP

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2016 6:00 AM

I don't know of any in-built ability to do this. My suggestion would be to use existing lists of the types of lemmas you are looking for such as what can be found here:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Concordance:New_Testament_Greek#-.CE.BC.CE.B9_Verbs

(Note that if you go back up that page, you will find other types of verbs as well).

I'd suggest copying the column in which the lemmas are written, use Microsoft Word or whatever else can do it to quickly convert the column to text. Then search lemma:(firstterm, secondterm, etc) using that list (I am not sure whether the search would work that way. Others could fine tune or correct this. 

I know it is not as neat as what you probably looking for but unless there is an actual way of doing this directly, this at least is one way to get it done if you must. 

Posts 27979
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2016 4:08 PM

JP:
I'm doing like this: Lemma:didomi, then lemma: istemi, etc..

Try lemma:*μι 

where * is a wildcard

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2016 10:58 PM

JP,

The method for finding all of these instances is exactly as Dave mentioned. If you use "lemma:*μι@V" as your search syntax, this will find every lemma that ends with μι that is also a verb. You can also take this one step further to get a full report on which lemmas appear by going to the "Analysis" view and sorting by the lemma column as you can see in the image below.

I hope this helps.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 12:19 AM

Dave Hooton:
lemma:*μι

What??!!!! I tried that first yesterday and it did not work when I did and so I had concluded it could not be done. I don't know what I did wrong. I am sure I tried both * and ? with lemma. Works today. Oh well.

Posts 36071
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 12:25 AM

Francis:
I don't know what I did wrong

There is always search history so you can see what you did.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:28 AM

My search history is too crowded (and only so many entries are shown per day) but the History tool did the trick.

Somewhat odd that this functionality only works in morph search and with a morphological specification (e.g., @V). It did not occur to me to try that after it failed to work in the search above. It would be good to add that functionality to Bible search. Do you know why it's not there but in morph?

Posts 36071
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:41 AM

Dave would know for certain but I suspect it is related to the lemma not being the Bible text - the manuscript/surface text is.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:46 AM

I had tried it on interlinears in hopes it would pick up the lemma column. It worked on full words (e.g., eimi) but not with the wildcard.

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:20 PM

Francis,

I think the issue here is that Bible search and Morph search use different search syntax to find the same results. In this instance, the search syntax "lemma:*μι" works in a Morph search, but this same syntax does not work for a Bible search. Instead the syntax that must be used is

"<Lemma ~ lbs/el/*μι>". You can see a quick image down below. Hope this helps explain what is going on.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:23 PM

Francis:

Dave Hooton:
lemma:*μι

What??!!!! I tried that first yesterday and it did not work when I did and so I had concluded it could not be done. I don't know what I did wrong. I am sure I tried both * and ? with lemma. Works today. Oh well.

I suspect that the reason your search didn't work is that you used the wildcard "?" rather than "*".  This is because "?" replaces only one character whereas "*" replaces all.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27979
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 6:08 AM

Mike Meiser:
I think the issue here is that Bible search and Morph search use different search syntax to find the same results.

Bible search and Basic search require the morphology to be specified e.g. <Lemma ~ lbs/el/*μι> where lbs is Logos morphology and el is Greek language. If you specify lemma:*μι in Morph search the parser infers the morphology from the resource(s) and clicking the header for Basic search or Bible search will translate the format to <Lemma ~ lbs/el/*μι>.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 10
Samuel Lamerson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 9:44 AM

This was exactly what I needed to show my class the mi verbs.  Thanks Mike.Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS