EBC good first "premium" commentary?

Page 1 of 6 (118 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 117 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:07 AM

"Premium" in the sense of being the first one I am purchasing outside of what came with my base package (Bible Study base.)  I'm looking for a conservative, evangelical commentary and the praise for EBC seems pretty universal based on the reviews I've read in various places.  A couple other sets I have on my "wishlist" are New American Commentary and Word Biblical Commentary among others, but those are out of my current price range...at least at the moment (tax time, yuck :-p )  In my base package, I really enjoy the Bible Knowledge Commentary, the Opening Up series, the "Be" series, and the Old Testament Survey Series if that helps.  I'm looking at a "premium" set for something a little more in-depth.  So do you think EBC would be a good first purchase?

Posts 13418
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:18 AM

EBC stands for Expositors' Bible Commentary? If so, it's varied - and more varied than most sets. Carson on Matthew is absolutely first class. Some of the other commentaries are disappointing to say the least.

IMO, the best commentary sets available at that level and price range are Bible Speaks Today (NT) and Tyndale (OT and NT). Tyndale is the deeper of the two, but both are excellent, and (I would suggest) some of the very best conservative, evangelical commentaries in the 150-300 page range.

These are Don Carson's thoughts on EBC, for what it's worth:

The Expositor’s Bible Commentary (/Zondervan) is a twelve-volume work of large pages and small print designed to offer exegetical and expository comment on the entire Bible, using the NIV text as the basis. The NT portion embraces vols. 8–12. The series is committed to evangelicalism but suffers serious unevenness—a flaw made worse by the fact that more than one NT book commentary is bound in each volume (e.g., the synoptics in vol. 8, John and Acts in vol. 9, etc.). It is usually more technical than the old EB (1887–96). In recent printings, individual commentaries have appeared in paperback or bound with others in paperback. The publisher is committed to bringing out a substantially revised edition of the series, and the first of the revised volumes, vol. 13 covering Hebrews–Revelation, has just appeared (so the series will become a thirteen-volume set instead of a twelve-volume set). All the contributors are new, and the typeface is much more pleasing.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:19 AM

Since you like BKC you will probably like EBC.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:34 AM

I would have to concur with Mark. While a very good reference, it does quite suffer from unevenness / variedness .

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:36 AM

I like to recommend the Tyndale set as a good first purchase beyond the base packages.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:39 AM

As Mark stated the Tyndale OT and NT set is a better option for the price range, this on top of the fact that the EBC is being revised and the revision is 80% completed and worth the purchase whenever the entire set comes out in Logos format. Many of the weaker volumes for the current set have been extensively revised or reassigned.  

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:44 AM

For what it is worth, as a minister who has a good working knowledge of the languages, I find both the Bible Speaks Today and the Tyndale series to be better than even more technical series like WBC.

Either of those (BST or Tyndale) would be a good choice.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:12 AM

Somehow I have never noticed BST is available in Logos. I am happy to find out. Thank you guys for that information.

Bohuslav

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:26 AM

I concur that the Tyndale Commentary series would be a better first purchase. The EBC is going through a major revision. THe Logos offering is the OLD edition that as has already been noted is quite uneven. I understand that this being corrected in the new editions. I would wait until the new editions are available before buying it in Logos.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:44 AM

Pastor Aaron Baldridge:
I would wait until the new editions are available before buying it in Logos.

The only thing I really use very often from the New Testament series of EBC I have in print is Carson's Matthew. It is just excellent. I am afraid it is not going to be part of the new edition. Or am I mistaken?

Bohuslav

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:05 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Pastor Aaron Baldridge:
I would wait until the new editions are available before buying it in Logos.

The only thing I really use very often from the New Testament series of EBC I have in print is Carson's Matthew. It is just excellent. I am afraid it is not going to be part of the new edition. Or am I mistaken?

All volumes are being revised

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:33 PM

I agree with the consensus here on the EBC.  For the money, the Tyndale series is probably your best bet for one that covers the entire Bible.  Personally I like the New Bible Commentary much better than the BKC for a one volume commentary. 

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 1:15 PM

Richard Crampton:

I agree with the consensus here on the EBC.  For the money, the Tyndale series is probably your best bet for one that covers the entire Bible.  Personally I like the New Bible Commentary much better than the BKC for a one volume commentary. 

Rick speaks for me, too (even if he knows it not!), on Tyndale over EBC, and NBC over BKC.

I have EBC in several formats (shout out to Tess for the "87 k . . . ." comment in another thread . . .).  I remember liking a few (Carson, some of Paul's Epistles, and Hebrews a bit).  Disappointed in Luke, John.

Tyndale can be (too) brief in some volumes too, but over all it is a much better series, and several have pointed out some (OT and NT) are exceptional.

Keep in mind you might snag the 2 volume EBC . . . although I have never used that, so I have no clue how they condense 12 into 2 . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:29 PM

In reply to Dan about condensed EBC:

If I remember right, they removed the footnotes and technical components. The mainstream text is reported to be the same I believe.

Posts 826
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:32 PM

EBC is not bad but, as someone else pointed out, some of the volumes are terrific whereas others are kinda thin w/r to content.  Tyndale has always been one of my favorites, too ... I think Derek Kidner is masterful at the ability of saying much with few words (a worthy goal for any seminary graduate).   Wink 

However, if I had to recommend just one top shelf set of commentaries for either a beginner or a pro, it would be James Boice.  Those volumes are wonderfully balanced with respect to tone, exegesis, discussion of the text, and application.  Boice died in 2000, but his legacy lives on in many ways including his commentaries and also The Bible Study Hour recordings available at http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/The_Bible_Study_Hour/archives.asp.  His commentaries are available from Logos at http://www.logos.com/products/details/2664.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:37 PM

Danny Parker:

In reply to Dan about condensed EBC:

If I remember right, they removed the footnotes and technical components. The mainstream text is reported to be the same I believe.

thanks.  However, that is a bit about what I wonder: take Carson, for example.  A lot of his "comments" could be construed at technical.  Especially compared to the style of some of the other contributors. But removing them would rip the heart out . . .

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:47 PM

Wow, thanks for all the comments folks.  I guess I'll be taking a closer look at Tyndale then as per consensus.  Is it true that the EBC pre-pub has no discount?  In other words, if I get Tyndale now and decide to pick up EBC later, I won't miss out on any kind of pre-pub discount?

Also, what is the consensus Tyndale vs Baker Exegetical Commentary?

Thanks again!

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:49 PM

Richard Crampton:

Is New Bible Commentary the one by Carson?

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:53 PM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:

Wow, thanks for all the comments folks.  I guess I'll be taking a closer look at Tyndale then as per consensus.  Is it true that the EBC pre-pub has no discount?  In other words, if I get Tyndale now and decide to pick up EBC later, I won't miss out on any kind of pre-pub discount?

Thanks again!

EBC has a massive discount, one of the few Z products.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:57 PM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:

The Baker Exegetical Series has FAR fewer resources, but is very good.  Perhaps you are referring to the Baker NT commentary?  Hendrickson/Kistemaker?  Well-respected, but you are limiting yourself to just two men.  Which is why I would not go for Boice, as mentioned above (no disrespect to Boice, nor the recommendation).  I'd rather get ones written by a variety people, presumably those who specialize in a particular book.

Page 1 of 6 (118 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS