John Piper's Missing Sermons

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 40
Brandon | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:29 PM

Below is a link to a personal book that includes every John Piper sermon available from Desiring God that is not included in the John Piper Sermon Archive. There are over 250 such sermons spanning from 1971 to 2016.

The John Piper Sermon Archive available in Logos includes only the sermons he preached at Bethlehem Baptist Church. The sermons in the personal book I have created consist almost exclusivity of those preached at outside events. 

I spent considerable time crosschecking the official list provided by Logos to make sure I wasn't including any sermon that is available officially through Logos. All of these sermons are publicly available from Desiring God.

The appropriate tagging has been done to make sure these show up properly in Logos. There is some tagging that is incomplete (non-recognizable scripture references) but all-in-all it's very functional. Make sure when you're building the book to choose the type as Monograph. Also please list this in the copyright field: © Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org

Special thanks to Colin Burcombe for testing this and even providing some edits and ideas. 

Download HERE

Posts 2763
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 4:03 PM

Thanks for sharing this! On my install, I got 12 errors and 184 warning - the most egregious seems to be images were not compiled into the document because of this error:

[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document. To use this embedded image, open the document in Word, select "Save As...", and deselect the "Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option. Then rebuild the book.

In Word 2016 I resaved and compatibility was not selected, but I still got these errors. 

Posts 33
Chaoyu-Bian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 6:11 PM

Good, thanks very much.

Posts 40
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 8:04 PM

Don Awalt:

Thanks for sharing this! On my install, I got 12 errors and 184 warning - the most egregious seems to be images were not compiled into the document because of this error:

[Error] Document contains an unsupported VML image which will not appear in the final document. To use this embedded image, open the document in Word, select "Save As...", and deselect the "Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option. Then rebuild the book.

In Word 2016 I resaved and compatibility was not selected, but I still got these errors. 

I can't figure out what's causing the errors. There are no images in the file. The important thing is the errors don't seem to effect the end result at all.

Posts 1061
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2016 9:09 PM

Brandon this looks excellent! Thank you for the work you put into it!

Posts 154
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 12:45 AM

Hi Brandon

Can only download first page of document and then I get an error message saying oops there is a problem. Can you help please? Using Win 10. Thanks

Gerald

Posts 2763
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 4:42 AM

Brandon Tucker:
I can't figure out what's causing the errors. There are no images in the file. The important thing is the errors don't seem to effect the end result at all.

Probably not worth worrying about then, I was afraid images were lost. Thanks Brandon, I have already started using this. It shows up in the Sermons section of My Passage Guide perfectly!

Posts 8066
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 6:13 AM

Thanks for sharing all your work to compile this Brandon. What a blessing!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1355
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 6:29 AM

Greatly appreciate this collection Brandon and Colin!

Logos 7.15  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X 

Posts 40
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 8:06 AM

Gerald Rodgers:

Hi Brandon

Can only download first page of document and then I get an error message saying oops there is a problem. Can you help please? Using Win 10. Thanks

Gerald

Hi Gerald, I'm not sure what the problem could be. But if you click HERE and provide your email address I'll send the file to you directly.

Posts 2205
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 8:10 AM

I also received the error message, but when I clicked the download and open in Word, I received the entire document.

Posts 368
Calvin Habig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 9:07 AM

The charts at the beginning of the sermons most likely come across as "pictures".  I have had that problem before.  The warnings can (in this case) be ignored. Over 2,000 pages?  Wow. Thanks. 

Posts 78
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 10:46 AM

Many thanks Brandon!

Posts 1061
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 1:06 PM

Just compiled. Doc looks great and shows in the sermons tool. I've often looked for a message in his manuscript library only to find that it was one he preached on the road. Some of his best sermons were on the road!

Thanks again Brandon! Looks like you did a ton of work on this!

Posts 3469
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 6:03 PM

Brandon Tucker:

Below is a link to a personal book that includes every John Piper sermon available from Desiring God that is not included in the John Piper Sermon Archive. There are over 250 such sermons spanning from 1971 to 2016.

Thank you!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7.0

Posts 340
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 1:38 AM

Thanks Brandon !

Posts 831
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 4:42 AM

I compiled this book on one computer and all went well. I went to another computer, it was not showing in my library, clicked it in the Personal Book pane and it said "You don't have a license to view this resource."

Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

Posts 2205
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 5:12 AM

You have to complile the personal book on your other computer as well. 

Posts 831
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 6:55 AM

Oh. Then, personal books do not sync across desktop installations? I knew that they did not go mobile. That is disappointing but I can work with it.

Thanks

Posts 2205
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2016 7:16 AM

I've not had them sync across installations.  I know it's been discussed, but I don't know where Faithlife is at with implementing this.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS