Top Three Peave: Inactive Links

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 11 2016 6:59 AM

The following quote and the accompanying note introduce my topic (the dating of Job)...

• "The Babylonian Talmud preserves rabbinic speculation on the subject."7
  • C. Hassell Bullock, An Introduction to the Old Testament Poetic Books (Rev. and expanded.; Chicago: Moody Press, 1988), 72.
  • 7 The Babylonian Talmud, ed. I. Epstein. Baba Bathra 14b, 15b; Sanhedrin 106a; Sotah 11a.

The note references the Talmuudh, but the links are INACTIVE, which means I have to go slog through the process of finding them manually, which is a tedious and very time-consuming thing where the Talmuudh is concerned.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THESE LINKS ACTIVE...it is what I spent approximately $35K to be able to make use of.

Posts 1932
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 7:11 AM

Thank you for your excellent post.  Making such links active needs to be a priority, even if it means scaling back some of the ideas that are planned for future versions.  Faithlife can spread itself thin and forget the basic fundamental reasons for why the program stands in a class by itself.  But forgetting the fundamental reasons and spreading itself too thin can change that status.

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 9:17 AM

Mark:

Thank you for your excellent post.  Making such links active needs to be a priority, even if it means scaling back some of the ideas that are planned for future versions.  Faithlife can spread itself thin and forget the basic fundamental reasons for why the program stands in a class by itself.  But forgetting the fundamental reasons and spreading itself too thin can change that status.

It's not their priority, and there's no way of predicting whether even a new resource will have proper linking or not. Gustaf Aulen's Christus Victor just came out (yay!) two days. A cursory glance shows most links are there--except to Harnack's History of Dogma. I don't think I've ever seen a working link to this 7-volume work in any Logos resource citing it. And at this point plenty of people should have it--it was part of the Christmas Mega-Pack two years ago.

At this point I've gotten used to the disappointment.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 9:47 AM

Sean:
A cursory glance shows most links are there--except to Harnack's History of Dogma. I don't think I've ever seen a working link to this 7-volume work in any Logos resource citing it. And at this point plenty of people should have it--it was part of the Christmas Mega-Pack two years ago.

I realize that it's inconvenient to not have those links, but you must recall that most references to Harnack are in works which were either originally in German or were European and therefore most likely were quoting the original German edition so that the pagination would probably not match the English edition.  Had the author been quoting an English language work referencing the English language edition of Harnack, I imagine it would have been linked (at least I would hope so).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 3:32 PM

Sean:
It's not their priority

Well, I attempted to establish that I (as one example) have made a $35K investment in them MAKING IT A PRIORITY...which is all the more a cogent point considering said links are a MAJOR aspect of Logos marketing. At some point I don't think I should have to either beg nor be discontent. MILLION$ OF DOLLAR$ have been PAID to make this a priority--and it's good and well time for it to be viewed as such.

Posts 26123
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 3:40 PM

David Paul:
The note references the Talmuudh, but the links are INACTIVE,

As the Talmud has a standard reference system, I agree with you that everything released after the Talmud should have live Talmud links. Harnack is a different issue.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4877
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 4:06 PM

David Paul:

Sean:
It's not their priority

Well, I attempted to establish that I (as one example) have made a $35K investment in them MAKING IT A PRIORITY...which is all the more a cogent point considering said links are a MAJOR aspect of Logos marketing. At some point I don't think I should have to either beg nor be discontent. MILLION$ OF DOLLAR$ have been PAID to make this a priority--and it's good and well time for it to be viewed as such.

I agree there is a problem with the Logos marketing.  You have made a significant investment in this product and when combined with the significant investment many others have made their should be more priority to fixing up more of these links. And then they need to open up the line of communication with customers by providing information on what they have updated, whether that be monthly or quarterly I would be fine with either. This was once done through blog posts.  When you stop communicating with your customers discontent will rise. 

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 6:06 PM

George Somsel:

Sean:
A cursory glance shows most links are there--except to Harnack's History of Dogma. I don't think I've ever seen a working link to this 7-volume work in any Logos resource citing it. And at this point plenty of people should have it--it was part of the Christmas Mega-Pack two years ago.

I realize that it's inconvenient to not have those links, but you must recall that most references to Harnack are in works which were either originally in German or were European and therefore most likely were quoting the original German edition so that the pagination would probably not match the English edition.  Had the author been quoting an English language work referencing the English language edition of Harnack, I imagine it would have been linked (at least I would hope so).

Nope, this time it's the English edition.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 11:08 PM

Sean:
Nope, this time it's the English edition.

Bent uw er zeker van?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2016 11:42 PM

Quite sure.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 12:00 AM

Sean:

Quite sure.

While I'll concede that it seems that the English translation is referenced, I'm not sure that II, 274 is quite what Aulen had in mind (close, but no cigar).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 12:02 AM

George Somsel:
While I'll concede that it seems that the English translation is referenced, I'm not sure that II, 274 is quite what Aulen had in mind (close, but no cigar).

His point is made mostly in [Harnack's] note #3, which displays in the next page of the Logos edition:

"Here also Irenæus keeps sin in the background; death and life are the essential ideas. Bohringer l.c., p. 484 has very rightly remarked: “We cannot say that Irenæus, in making Adam’s conduct and suffering apply to the whole human race had started from an inward, immediate experience of human sinfulness and a feeling of the need of salvation founded on this.” It is the thoughts of Paul to which Irenæus tried to accommodate himself without having had the same feeling about the flesh and sin as this Apostle. "

But what exactly is your point?

Posts 44
Mikael S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 12:06 AM

It's about what the Talmud costs and the profit margin on it. I have this version: The Babylonian Talmud: Original Text, Edited, Corrected, Formulated and Translated into English (19 vols.) by Michael L. Rodkinson, it's from 1918. References to the Babylonian Talmud should point to this one, in my opinion! I got it at a fair price used in the Logos Resales group at Facebook. This version is also included in some collections and a base-package. I've never wanted Jacob Neusner's version.

The previous post I made, was in the BDAG/BAGD confusion -thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/7385/816320.aspx#816320

Personal: Two days ago I placed myself in the queue to rental apartments in Örebro. There's both a secular university, a pastor's seminary, and a relatively quite large Christian elementary school there, if I get to start a new family (progressing, but where the girl should live is unclear and will be for a period, only if someone really wants to rent to someone specifically like her she could get an affordable second-hand apartment, and over where I live at some distance from her by train or car all the prices for living somewhere are rather outrageous and even though my apartment is not too small I'm starting to doubt if we'll ever live together here even though there's nothing wrong with this apartment, 655.5 square foot = 60.9 square meters, is not that big if You're a couple and particularly not for very long when getting a child). We'd marry before intimacy, that's a must for both of us.

You can find me on Christianforums, even if I don't post all the time neither there nor here. /U

translatio-princpld...
10 Bibls.. Supporting the cause of the right for data

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 12:07 AM

Sean:
But what exactly is your point?

Just that in translations and footnoting therein "There's many a slip twixt cup and lip."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 26123
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2016 12:34 AM

Mikael S:
The Babylonian Talmud: Original Text, Edited, Corrected, Formulated and Translated into English (19 vols.) by Michael L. Rodkinson, it's from 1918. References to the Babylonian Talmud should point to this one, in my opinion!

For items such as the Talmud that have a standard referencing scheme and a datatype, the links to not point to any particular version. It should behave like a Bible and go to the highest priority Babylonian Talmud.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS