Targumist's Jesus - Mixing the NT, Targums, DSS, and the Talmud

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10959
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 17 2016 2:44 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/56740/from-jesus-to-the-church-the-first-christian-generation 

This just got shipped, but it's only $20 anyway, if you missed the pre-pub. It's by Craig Evans.  

If you're fascinated by the Targums, and want to see how they could be used to plug into Jesus, this book is for you. And if you have the Aramaic Bible (lucky you), the Talmud, and the DSS, you'll be in heaven (on earth). Evans mixes them all up, as if they're all pretty much at the same time!

Best of all, there is almost no hint they might be centuries apart.  You'll be so flabergasted, you can't stop reading, as the Jesus family takes on the .... well, I don't want to spoil it for you.

This is a Targumist's dream come true. I actually agree with his thesis ... I'd just not have the guts. 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2016 10:32 PM

Thanks Denise - It looks like a fascinating book indeed.  I have my copy and look forward to exploring this fascinating world. Keep well Paul  

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2016 2:43 AM

Just bought it and really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posts 1537
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 3:11 AM

Anthony Keating:

Just bought it and really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Same here Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 4:06 AM

I just read the blurb on the book's page.  Can anyone tell me what "the arly church" might be?  Wink

It does look interesting — perhaps almost as interesting as The Martian Chronicles

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1537
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 5:50 AM

George Somsel:
"the arly church"

I calculated that you are awake at 2 am in your local time. That's arly. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10959
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 6:20 AM

Maybe the blurb-ician is from Scotland.

Ignoring the Arizona desert of sources, one has to wonder how James (just one of course) became so influential, leaving almost nothing behind. And how the jews managed to successfully blow themselves up in the face of a talented army not too distant. The end-of-the-age timing clue had to be strong, and not believable by the jewish leaders.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2016 6:53 AM

Veli Voipio:

George Somsel:
"the arly church"

I calculated that you are awake at 2 am in your local time. That's arly. 

Unless it's late.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 560
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 1:10 AM

Grabbed it in Prepub and currently reading it - very good so far Big Smile

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2016 5:38 AM

One error on the product page: Evans is no longer at Acadia, but at Houston Baptist University in Texas.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS