Bart Ehrman books

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1583
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 8:28 AM

James C.:

Until Faithlife gets Ehrman's books in Logos/Noet/Vyrso, you can do what I did and buy the one book that Logos has and create PBs for the ones they don't have.

How do you do this? Did you make these from Kindle Books? How do you make them into personal books?

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 10:26 AM

Are you able to create linked footnotes somehow, automatically? 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 418
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 2:03 PM

No, no auto linked footnotes. 

Posts 418
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 4:54 PM

Yes, I converted most of these from Kindle, but I also converted at least one from a PDF.

Here is a video I created for a friend showing what program I use to convert Kindle to rtf and then edit and create Personal Books in Logos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmSZ9GYTGo

Posts 670
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 10:59 AM

Ben:

Yes, I very much look forward to the Bart Ehrman vs. Robert Alter matchup. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103549/716151.aspx 

Is there a scheduled debate?

I would like to see Kruger take on Ehrman myself.  Now that would be a great debate!

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 26 2017 11:34 AM

Altar isn't the kind to do a debate. He's more of a scholar than a theologian. I meant in some future March Madness wherein Logos carries lots of their books.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 27
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 6:28 AM

Put him up and let people decide for themselves. I hate this dogmatic sheep fencing from cocksure Christians who think they have it all nailed down.

Posts 3763
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 7:32 AM

LOL, but totally agree with you.

mm.

DogWarrior:

Put him up and let people decide for themselves. I hate this dogmatic sheep fencing from cocksure Christians who think they have it all nailed down.

Posts 1583
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 8:15 AM

Agreed.  I'd love to see more diverse perspectives on Logos than just conservative Evangelical and conservative Catholic.  Even if you are conservative it doesn't hurt you to interact with other people's arguments/perspectives, so at least you actually know what you're disagreeing with.

Posts 3763
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 9:32 AM

It's interesting as well. I like to read other points of view so I can intelligently dialogue with those who may not agree with me. Of course while reading others I always have to question myself to see if I'm incorrect about a teaching etc.

Personally I like reading diverse views on spirituality. My theological training came from a Southern Baptist seminary and I consider myself a reformed Baptist. I was labelled an apostate simply because I wanted to learn more about other strands of spirituality. The naming isn't a big deal, sticks and stones - whatever.

So all IMHO.

mm.

Posts 1583
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 9:52 AM

Well I'm a non-liberal at a self-identified liberal seminary, and it would be nice if there were more books that my professors assign on Logos.  I love the software and it would be great to have everything in one place.  My NT professor actually "warned" us against using bible software because most of the resources in the libraries come from an almost exclusively conservative perspective.  I don't think she was against any and all conservative perspectives, just the fact that the libraries would be too one-sided. Some of my bible professors have assigned readings and recommended commentaries written by Evangelicals. My OT professor actually identified as an Evangelical himself. I think my professors would be more likely to recommend the software if the libraries were a bit more diverse. Maybe Logos could expand it's user-base a bit.

Posts 3763
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 10:51 AM

Excellent points.

Posts 2393
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 11:04 AM

I watch the news and feel sad to see so many colleges where conservative points of view are being squelched because the far left wants safe spaces free from opposing viewpoints, and then I come here and see the same thing from the other perspective.  Bart Ehrman provides a viewpoint which many in academia hold, and he presents his views in a very engaging manner.  This is EXACTLY the type of opposing viewpoint we should have in Logos.  Just because you read it doesn't mean you have to agree with it!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1172
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 12:26 PM

Kiyah:

Well I'm a non-liberal at a self-identified liberal seminary, and it would be nice if there were more books that my professors assign on Logos.  I love the software and it would be great to have everything in one place.  My NT professor actually "warned" us against using bible software because most of the resources in the libraries come from an almost exclusively conservative perspective.  I don't think she was against any and all conservative perspectives, just the fact that the libraries would be too one-sided. Some of my bible professors have assigned readings and recommended commentaries written by Evangelicals. My OT professor actually identified as an Evangelical himself. I think my professors would be more likely to recommend the software if the libraries were a bit more diverse. Maybe Logos could expand it's user-base a bit.

One underlying problem is the sheer number of books in print. Even if you go to a conservative seminary, many of the books you're assigned to read won't be available in Logos.  It seems to me that FaithLife has expanded its offerings significantly since the Libronix days. But even with as massive a catalog as FaithLife has, I suspect they still have to be careful about where they invest their efforts. Striking the right balance in selecting which works to add has got to be difficult.  My guess is that they started by adding those more liberal works that are most often assigned by the conservative schools they're already working with. Doing something like that would allow them to gradually expand their offerings over time to include a more liberal perspective, while still feeding their existing customer base.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 1:38 PM

James, I am not sure Logos offers a humor section (for surely Ehrman's arguments are a joke) but perhaps he may soon be combined with Heiser's laugh inducing work at a discount.

God bless your day. 

Joshua

p.s. I liken an Ehrman book (in particular) to listening to an argument about how many angels dance on the head of a pin...pointless, trivial and a complete waste of time.

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 2:05 PM

I've found it's best to learn about opposing views by those who hold them instead of those who refute them.

Posts 27
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 4:38 PM

You realise your comment says nothing. Erhman could say just the same, the exact same words, about your POV also. And I'm sure many who hold his view would say those exact words.

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 7:07 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying.  I totally agree with you.

If I want to know what Ehrman believes then I would read something by him and I would hope that those who hold his views who want to know what I believe would come to me.

This is why I would like to see Ehrman's books in Logos. 

Posts 2393
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 7:43 PM

Ronald Quick:

That's exactly what I'm saying.  I totally agree with you.

If I want to know what Ehrman believes then I would read something by him and I would hope that those who hold his views who want to know what I believe would come to me.

This is why I would like to see Ehrman's books in Logos. 

I think DogWarrior was directing his comment to JoshInRi, not you.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 7:52 PM

Thanks - my mistake.

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS