14 Books about the East that you need to know about. Under $4 each.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 537
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 11:48 AM

I'm in Since Nov 2014 . Let's move it up! 

Posts 9710
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:15 PM

Matthew C Jones:
For about $4 per book you can get this in your library. Bid today.

Yes this deserves a push.

Fasil:
I'm in Since Nov 2014

Me too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:23 PM

What is the comparison of this set with the recently released The Sacred Books of the East (50 vols.)?

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 1:00 PM

Steve:
What is the comparison of this set with the recently released The Sacred Books of the East (50 vols.)?

I'm interested in a comparison as well

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 1:36 PM

James Taylor:

Steve:

MJ can give a better comparison but my initial overview is

--the larger set is very heavy on Vedic and other Indian religions. It also covers the Qur'ran, and a lot of Chinese material.

--this smaller set has Near Eastern coverage (Hebrew, Turkish, Egyptian, Arabian, Persian) and Japanese content as well as overlapping material such as Chinese and Indian writings along with the "Koran."

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 568
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 4:28 PM

Bid Placed.

Posts 2333
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 8:30 PM

Yes

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2016 10:50 PM

Matthew C Jones:
This Pre-Pub has 14 books of great importance to students of Eastern religion and history.

It looks good, especially -- as far as biblical studies are concerned -- the first 4. The others are interesting but for other reasons. Concerning the top four, however, beware of not buying what you already have in other resources such as Ancient Near Eastern Texts or The Babylonian Talmud, etc. For my part, I do have already most and probably all of these 4 and so it is less interesting to have such a collection (the titles I have are also much more recent).

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2016 5:05 PM

Francis:
beware of not buying what you already have in other resources such as Ancient Near Eastern Texts or The Babylonian Talmud, etc

Good thoughts.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2016 5:14 PM

This set is far better than the earlier one, and considerably better linked to the Logos side of the house (Christian vs Noet).  The intro's are quite good, and many tie into the second temple period. The reason is that a lot was lost as Islam spread both west and east.  So writers in the greek period speak to much of the earlier details.

If you're not east of the Tarsus range maybe take a pass. But early Christianity was 'eastern' (the way of thinking).

Recommended.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1507
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2016 6:03 PM

I added my bid. Thank you Matthew for bringing to attention! 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 5751
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2016 9:13 AM

Bid placed, but at a lower price. I might boost mine if the product page included more detail as to what each book contains (I do appreciate the detail that is already there).

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 34425
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2016 1:02 PM

SineNomine:
included more detail as to what each book contains

What sort of additional information do you need?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2016 1:49 PM

James Taylor:

Steve:

Comparison?

Posts 5751
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2016 2:09 PM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:
included more detail as to what each book contains

What sort of additional information do you need?

It would be nice to have entries of the formats "The XYZ people" and "The ABCGenre Stuff" spelled out a bit more. Which Jewish philosophers? What later teachings? Which fragments? Things like that.

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 34425
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2016 3:01 PM

Steve:

James Taylor:

Steve:

Comparison?

There's not much overlap in that all the Near Eastern Materials and Japan (8 volumes) are unique to this series as is all the literature - the sacred books has only sacred books and related philosophy/law.

Unique to this series: volumes 1,2,3,4,6,8,13,14

5 contains 3 unique works plus a duplicate Koran

7 duplicates the Zend-Avesta and adds 6 works or so

9 split evenly 3 new works; 3 duplicates

10 requires closer examination but has at least 2 new works and some duplicates

11 ditto 10

12 ditto 10

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34425
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 1 2016 3:09 PM

Incomplete 'cuz I'm feeling lazy but a more detail TOC for some volumes ... use Google books to find any others you want to know.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS