BUG? Is this standard use of punctuation

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 13 2016 1:36 AM

A comma is used both between surname and given name AND between names. I am used to either seeing a semicolon between names or an "and" ... with subsequent names usually in given name surname sequence. Did you really intend to make us count commas to figure out where one name ends and another begins?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 12307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2016 2:48 AM

MJ. Smith:
Did you really intend to make us count commas to figure out where one name ends and another begins?

It's common in most style guides (although many specify FIRST LAST, rather than LAST, FIRST, which makes it clearer). Using initials can help, too. See this example in APA: http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/11/the-proper-use-of-et-al-in-apa-style.html — Marewski, J. N., Gaissmaier, W., Schooler, L. J., Goldstein, D. G., & Gigerenzer, G. (2010)

But it would be most helpful if this tool respected the citation style preference in Settings.

Posts 1
Lianne Berens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 5:50 AM

Hi MJ. Smith. I just found this forum post through Google. I'd like to share this article on how to cite a source with multiple authors. It helped me a lot and it might help others who will find this post. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS