Note to forum members tempted to save me via messages in Faithlife

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 21 2016 8:45 PM

Yes, I am trying to learn how to block anyone who becomes too troublesome. In the meantime, may I set some parameters?

1. Please know what I believe that you are trying to save me from. Sometimes, I can't figure out what on earth you think I believe. And don't you need to know what I believe to know that I'm wrong?
  2. Please recognize that nearly everyone on Logos takes the Bible seriously and tries in good conscience to actually understand and apply it. We could save lots of time if you would simply look up the Biblical support for my beliefs - we could actually discuss interpretation, context, hermeneutics ... you know those common interest that bring us both into the Faithlife fold.
  3. Please do not simply toss out a series of scripture quotations (or theological assertions). Give me a hint as to what you think they are relevant to. I am absolute horrid at reading minds at a distance - actually I'm not very good at mind reading in person either.
  4. Please do not make every other sentence "out of respect" or "out of love" ... if you are being respectful and loving, it will show. If not, your protestations undermine your credibility.
  5. Remember that I have the heart of a logician (and published poet). Don't give me a ball of unrelated sentences that you throw hoping some will stick. That test may work for pasta but it doesn't work for theology. Give me a set of related sentences setting forth an argument - whether formal logic or by effective image.

And, remember if I ever figure out how to block individual posters, violation of these guidelines may result in you're being blocked so that neither of us waste time better spent on scripture or the forums.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28027
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2016 9:20 PM

The best way to block users on Faithlife, is not to use it. That's my solution. Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2016 9:31 PM

Unfortunately, I signed up for the summer mobile ed series ... and there are some groups of shared resources that are useful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1407
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2016 10:41 PM

Well as the resident Mormon, I'm vaguely offended no one has tried saving me

Big Smile

...that's not an invitation. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2016 11:55 PM

Ben:

I'm vaguely offended no one has tried saving me

Big Smile

I'm so sorry ... but if you want me to I'm sure I could mangle Mormon beliefs for you ... I've seen a number of totally unreliable sources I can use to "educate" myself. Stick out tongue

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 5:58 AM

MJ one of the things I enjoy about Logos is the diversity of resources I am able to have in my library. I enjoy internally dialoging with diverse and different viewpoints. In reflection some of my favorite theological resources both in logos and dead-tree are Roman Catholic, I enjoy these as they help me challenge what is it I believe, and why. You are a smart person, and I am sure you have firm convictions in what you believe, people should not try and convert you to their view-point utilizing the faith-life ecosystem. If they had a personal relationship with you in the real world, or even in the cyber world, mutually dialing about your theological views is a healthy thing to do, but what you are enduring sounds more like harassment. Unwelcome and uninvited messages that are seeking to convert  from Catholicism.

Posts 1428
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:11 AM

I'm surprised Faithlife even allows/tolerates this kind of activity.  Not that I think they condone it, but if there isn't already, there should be a system in place to advise offenders that such behavior is not acceptable and that their access will be terminated if it continues.

Posts 1050
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:18 AM

To be fair to folks, trying to save people is pretty much baked into the DNA of Christianity. There are times and places where it's inappropriate, but for some of us it can be hard to turn it off.

Having said that, I completely agree with MJ's five parameters - they're pretty good rules for the real world as well.

I would go a bit further. Words are tools. All too often we, as people, just feel the need to "say something" - even though we don't expect it to accomplish anything, or even think it might backfire. That makes about as much sense as standing in the middle of a garage waving a socket wrench around in the air. At best we just look silly - at worst, we hurt someone.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:23 AM

Hmmmm...I wonder which denomination is the correct one. Surprise

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 8:37 AM

Josh, I will just say this much as for myself I am Reformed Baptist.

But I feel the denomination is second, the most important is to be a true Bible Believing Christian following in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 10535
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 9:58 AM

I think the issue of saving someone has much to do with the imagery.

The most frequent I've seen is a person drowning or stuck in the ditch. Saving becomes a moral responsibility (unless collecting worms in the ditch for fishing)  It's imagery presented as black/white, no greys.

Versus another image of lost in the woods. A person proposes to save by saying they know the way out. But their map/knowledge is smudged up, and their way could be disasterous, which quite often happens here in Sedona.

I don't think I've seen a Logos book on modern Christian imagery used to support logic.  Jesus, of course, with the parables.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1050
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 10:46 AM

Denise:

I don't think I've seen a Logos book on modern Christian imagery used to support logic.  Jesus, of course, with the parables.

Well, that would seem like the most natural touchstone for Christians to go back to.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 10:47 AM

MJ. Smith:
Please know what I believe that you are trying to save me from. Sometimes, I can't figure out what on earth you think I believe. And don't you need to know what I believe to know that I'm wrong?

I was in Costco one day years ago and entered an aisle where I was harangued by some fundamentalist nut who wanted to convert me.  As you note, they don't even know where you stand when they do this (for all he knew I might have completely agreed with him [I didn't and don't]).  I was very tempted to tell him where to go (ahem, out the door), but I restrained myself and attempted to find an opportunity to detach gracefully (I know, it's hard for you to imagine my doing that).  Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMutnstwcM 

Oops !  For some reason I had a brainf… and was thinking your name was Margaret.  Sorry, Mary, Melissa, Meghan, Moira, err, Martha !!  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 11:16 AM

Josh:

Luckily most of us know. We just don't agree. Wink

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 11:32 AM

Josh:

None. The denomination that 100% understanding, is the denomination that is not a denomination. Big Smile

Posts 1493
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 12:52 PM

George Somsel:
harangued by some fundamentalist nut who wanted to convert me.

If in a crowded place, you could pretend an atheist. Then some around join the discussion and when it is hot enough you sneak away

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 3:17 PM

MJ. Smith:

Josh:

Luckily most of us know. We just don't agree. Wink

Currently not know of any denomination that can loosen the belt of Orion.

Thankful for resources in Logos and Verbum not being alive (and in the same place) due to strongly held differing points of view.

Thankful for Bible studies, which prove my human tent has much more to learn and grow. Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

FYI: one person emphatically informed me that one denomination has the correct good news and for me to learn from them. My biblical understanding does not agree with that person's doctrine after my search & study of the scriptures (so am not going to that denomination).

MJ. Smith:
Yes, I am trying to learn how to block anyone who becomes too troublesome. ...

+1 Yes for Faithlife blocking, ideally with option for automatic reply OR silent discard (similar to a spam filter deletion without reply to sender).

MJ. Smith:
We could save lots of time if you would simply look up the Biblical support for my beliefs - we could actual discuss interpretation, context, hermeneutics ... you know those common interest that bring us both into the Faithlife fold.

Thankful for Faithlife creating Christian Discourse for discussion of interpretation, context, hermeneutics ...

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2028
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:24 PM

So you've had this happen from more than one person?!?  I don't remember you ever saying anything to warrant such...intervention (not that it would be appropriate behavior even if you had expressed non-Christian views).

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 6736
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:33 PM

Well, at least I know I'm not on that list...she knows better hehehe

DAL

Posts 27943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:48 PM

Joseph, this is the third one. The first has disappeared from the scene and was very short lived ... perhaps a troll without even a Logos connection. Second one eventually became quite reasonable on Faithlife and the forums - I chalk it up to cultural differences, not understanding the implicit rules and, perhaps, a bit of loneliness. This one is now blocked - which I asked for because there seemed to be no common ground upon which to reason with him especially given comments that the particular Faithlife employee he thought (incorrectly) I would contact would have no effect because he (the poster) was following God not man (Faithlife  employee).

As you can tell it isn't a high volume problem ... but I can see a church pulling out of Faithlife/Proclaim if it happened to wrong member of the congregation That is why I thought it should be taken very seriously. I suspect that Logos will find a way to let us block individuals rather than drawing them into it.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS