NSBT Sale

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 111
Dave Couch | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:13 AM

"For a limited time individual volumes from one of the most respected series on biblical theology are $9.99 each. And when you get 12 or more volumes, you’ll receive a coupon code good for up to $50 off your next purchase!"

I've got the following in my basket so far:

Are there any others people recommend?

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:01 AM

I bought the set on prepub back in December - most are great.

(On a side note, I thought the prepub price was the best price one could get on a product from Logos. This current sale, just 7 months after the prepub shipped, is cheaper than the original prepub price. $349-$50(coupon) = $299. The prepub price was $320.)

Posts 10558
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:36 AM

David Couch:
"For a limited time individual volumes from one of the most respected series on biblical theology are $9.99 each. And when you get 12 or more volumes, you’ll receive a coupon code good for up to $50 off your next purchase!"

Thanks for telling! Looks great!

David Couch:
Are there any others people recommend?

well, one could go by what is bestselling: https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=%22new+studies+in+Biblical+Theology%22&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60&Series+%2f+Sets=New+Studies+in+Biblical+Theology+(NSBT) 

Personally, I think I'll go for:

https://www.logos.com/product/80736/return-to-me-a-biblical-theology-of-repentance

https://www.logos.com/product/80696/original-sin-illuminating-the-riddle 

and https://www.logos.com/product/80732/paul-and-the-law-keeping-the-commandments-of-god as well

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2041
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 7:59 AM

Thank you for point this out!  There were several volumes that I had been wanting, and it this price, I picked up thirteen.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2041
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 8:06 AM

As for suggestions, the main volume that I had been wanting to pick up, which I already own in paper, is Now My Eyes Have Seen You: Images of Creation and Evil in the Book of Job.  I will paste the TOC since it is not included in detail:

Series preface

Author’s preface
Abbreviations

1 Speaking what is right
The scope of this study
The approach taken
Is it a unitary work?
Varied readings of Job
The literary genre of Job
The poet’s use of imagery
Myth and theology
The shape of this study

2 An advocate in heaven?
The prose tale
Job 9:32–35
Job 16:18–22
Job 19:20–27
The third speech-cycle (chs. 22–31)
The Elihu speeches (chs. 32–37)
God and Job (38:1–42:6
The epilogue (42:7–16)
General comments

3 The tragic Creator
‘He also made the stars’
The tree of life
‘Where can wisdom be found?’
‘The world is charged with the grandeur of God’ (chs. 38–39)

4 The raging sea
Job 3:8
Job 7:12
Job 9
Job 26
Job 28
Job 38
The sea stories in the gospels

5 The shadowlands
The significance of Job 3
The womb of the earth
The vast reaches of the underworld
The powers of darkness

6 Yahweh, Mot and Behemoth
God as tormentor
How the images relate to each other
The figure of Behemoth

7 The ancient prince of hell
The scope of the study
A note on the prose tale
The significance of chapter 3
The significance of the rest of the poetic dialogue
The Elihu speech

8 Drawing out Leviathan
The challenge (40:25–32; Eng. 41:1–8)
Overwhelming fear (41:1–4; Eng. 41:9–12)
Description of the monster (41:5–21; Eng. 41:13–29)
His habitat (41:22–26; Eng. 41:30–34)
The other Leviathan passages
General comments

9 The vision glorious
Structure
Theological issues
Job and biblical theology

Appendix: Job and Canaanite myth
The significance of Ugarit for Old Testament studies
The relevance of the Baal sagas
Theological significance

Bibliography
Index of modern authors
Index of Scripture references
Index of ancient sources

Robert S. Fyall, Now My Eyes Have Seen You: Images of Creation and Evil in the Book of Job, ed. D. A. Carson, vol. 12, New Studies in Biblical Theology (Downers Grove, IL; England: InterVarsity Press; Apollos, 2002), 5–7.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 9:46 AM

Yes. This sale definitely again calls into question prepub value. Best to treat prepub as a real preorder now and not as a deal.

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 9:49 AM

Geo Philips:

Yes. This sale definitely again calls into question prepub value. Best to treat prepub as a real preorder now and not as a deal.

I'm thinking of cancelling a lot of my prepubs, because it seems I can get these things down the road for the same price (or cheaper).

Posts 28233
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 10:04 AM

Geo Philips:

This is definitely a new M.O. Personally, I am glad for it. If the publisher is going to have a sale, I want in! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 129
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 11:23 AM

JH:

(On a side note, I thought the prepub price was the best price one could get on a product from Logos. This current sale, just 7 months after the prepub shipped, is cheaper than the original prepub price. $349-$50(coupon) = $299. The prepub price was $320.)

Actually, with the sale, it's not $349-$50(coupon) = $299 because the coupon is for a future order. So, you would need to add in the price of whatever that future order is as well. In order to get $50 off, the future order would need to be at least $50, so the NSBT is costing you $349 no matter what.

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 12:03 PM

I bought Beale's Book - Temple - in Kindle because this set was not broken up. Then I saw that it was broken up in Logos and bought it at full price AND NOW I see it's on sale.

Wish they would at least let us know that a set "might" go on sale.

mm.

Posts 140
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 12:49 PM

Just to clarify, the $50 coupon is only when you buy the full set, you get a $15 coupon for 12+ books or a $30 coupon for 24+ books. See https://www.logos.com/nsbt-sale
Tempting deal though!

Posts 7069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 1:10 PM

Geo Philips:

Thank you! Where is Phil Gons now and all the other Logos employees that "honor" the prepub system? Why not say, "Hey, sometimes is convenient for the publisher and us to give you a better discount than the 'prepub price' and sometimes is not." But don't try to convince us of something that has been proven time and time again to be false and very subjective when is not convenient for the company.  Don't get me wrong I'm not angry but I believe this point needs to be address to be fair with all the customers.

DAL

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 2:03 PM

Tim Farley:

Actually, with the sale, it's not $349-$50(coupon) = $299 because the coupon is for a future order. So, you would need to add in the price of whatever that future order is as well. In order to get $50 off, the future order would need to be at least $50, so the NSBT is costing you $349 no matter what.

Actually, money is fungible, so the coupon counts as real money on a future order. Since I order from Logos all the time, it is the same as getting an actual discount. Therefore, the prepub "broken promise" still stands. It doesn't matter - I just don't believe Logos any more that when something is on prepub is will actually be the cheapest price - I have seen too many go on sale later for less. My only point is I don't need to fixate on getting something on prepub anymore because I think it is a better deal - it's often not. It's my issue, not Logos as a company (they do what they want).

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 2:47 PM

I picked up:

With the Clouds of Heaven: The Book of Daniel in Biblical Theology:  Many reviews and articles on eschatology and Biblical theology reference this work and it is the main reason I was glad to see the set broken up.

Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul’s Theology of Justification:  Read the review by Carson and pick this up if you are interested in justification or the NPP.

I would have probably gotten a few others, but the $100 Eerdman's Collection prevented me.  However, if the old payment plan was in effect...

Posts 7069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 5:14 PM

Everett Headley:

Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul’s Theology of Justification:  Read the review by Carson and pick this up if you are interested in justification or the NPP.

I can't believe I missed that one! I just picked it up too, so 7 cool volumes now :D 7th Son of a 7th Son Yes

DAL

Posts 1023
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 5:14 PM

Anyone own the set? Is it worth it?

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 3373
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:22 PM

Well get this!

After finding out that the set was now on sale as individual titles I 'chatted' with a sales rep and was refunded my initial full price for Beale's Temple and then picked it up for sale price and five other titles in that series.

THANKS FL for your generosity and the customer care that so many of us are getting used to, but not unappreciative.

mm.

Milkman:

I bought Beale's Book - Temple - in Kindle because this set was not broken up. Then I saw that it was broken up in Logos and bought it at full price AND NOW I see it's on sale.

Wish they would at least let us know that a set "might" go on sale.

mm.

Posts 69
JeremyS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:34 PM

any indication how long this sale is running?

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2016 6:43 PM

Can someone explain for me how "biblical theology" is defined in these works because it can mean different things to different people. I come to biblical theology from the perspective of Geerhardus Vos. Do these volumes reflect this perspective or something else?

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS