Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 23 2016 9:03 PM

So, I opted into the free trial period for Logos Now which is now over. I have since started paying for the service. The problem is that I don't ever use it. I have tried to use it at work to try and "get my money's worth" out of it. However, I don't know if it is just the security features that the network has, the fact that the computer at work is 300 years old, or simply the fact of that the Logos Now isn't all that great. When I opted in, I was under the impression that the functionality would be comparable to the installed program on my laptop and home computer. However, at work, the functionality of Logos Now is worse than horrid. It is actually quite frustrating. If I open up more than one resource, if I switch from one to the other, when I go back to the first resource, it jumps back to the beginning of the book instead of staying where I was when I switched. Also, I can't right click on a anything to do a search or study. Also, when I exit out of Logos Now and open it back up, it doesn't open with my last configuration, but always opens to....grrrrrrr!!! SERIOUSLY!!?? I can't even do a simple copy and paste!? I think I am going to cancel my subscription...Anyway, since I can't even do such a simple task as copy and paste here I will type the title out completely...Logos Now ALWAYS opens to "Preaching the Word: 2 Corinthians-Power in Weakness." I want Logos Now to open to my daily devotional which is "Connect the Testaments: A One-Year Daily Devotional with Bible Reading Plan." Either I don't know how to change a default setting in Logos Now, there is a glitch in the software, the problem has to do with this ancient computer with super security features, or Logos Now just isn't very good. As it stands, the layout and functionality of the free Biblia service is better than the paid Logos Now service. Now, my main questions are: Are my problems only from this computer and I am not giving Logos Now a fair chance? Since I have the Logos Program on my laptop and home computer, and Biblia is free, is Logos Now even worth the monthly fee, or should I cancel my subscription? Sorry for my candidness. Thank you in advance for your responses to my issues.

🖥 21.5" iMac; 2.7GHZ; 1TB HD🖥

💻 15" Macbook Pro Retina; 2.5GHZ i7; 16 GB; 500GB FSD💻

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 26138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2016 10:42 PM

Excuse me. Have you confused Logos Cloud and Logos Now? Logos Now is intended to primarily add features and resources to the desktop application and is intended primarily for people with a significant investment in Logos. Logos Cloud includes the desktop application but is anticipated to eventually be primarily a cloud application without ownership.

Yes, the cloud application is a work in progress - with recent work being more focused on the infrastructure which doesn't give the user new functions but builds the base for them. I agree that at the moment the value of the Logos Cloud is the resources added to you base package ... with the cloud app a future value.

For Logos Now, you need to look at the value of the multiview panel, a number of manuscript based and other interactives, the Concordance tool, ... to see whether or not it has value to it. https://www.logos.com/now has a list of the Logos Now features.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 4:02 AM

MJ. Smith,

Thank you for your response. What I am referring to is the Logos Web App (found at https://app.logos.com/books/LLS%3A1.0.710/references/2%20Peter%201%3A1) which, according to www.logos.com/now is an "exclusive benefit." If that is what you are calling the "cloud," then I guess you are correct in that I was confusing the "exclusive benefit" of Logos Now's Web Application with Logos Now itself. My understanding, however, is that a cloud is simply storage, while an app has functionality. The web app is basically the only reason I subscribed to Logos Now, and that only because I wanted to be able to do research (mainly for homework assignments) while away from my Logos Desktop enable machines hoping that it would have the same functionality as the Logos Desktop (otherwise, why pay for it?). As I already own over 7,000 resources, I do not see the benefit of Logos Now simply for a few "added features" that I either (a) already own, or (b) will never use. There is the possibility that I am actually using those "features" without knowing that they are Logos Now added features, because there is nothing (that I have seen unless I just haven't used any since subscribing) to indicate whether you are using regular Logos Desktop features or the Logos Now features. To be honest, this whole Logos Now thing is confusing. Or, perhaps, I'm just not very bright, in which case, I really don't need all of those "added features" because I don't know how to use them.

🎁Logos 6 Diamond; Logos 6 Anglican Diamond; Logos 6 Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold🎁

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 27447
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 4:08 AM

The web app is in a beta state. "Logos Now" is a service, with a number of different benefits. ONE of those benefits is access to the beta of the web app. Another benefit is early access to FUTURE features (including some datasets). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 4:43 AM

sooo...basically, if I don't mind waiting for Logos to release the software updates, and I am unhappy with the Web App, then I should cancel my subscription?

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 27447
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 10:32 AM

Dwayne Justice:
should cancel my subscription?

Perhaps, but for clarification: 

Dwayne Justice:
if I don't mind waiting for Logos to release the software updates

Many of the "new features" and "datasets" I referenced won't be part of a free engine... to acquire them in the future will require the purchase of a new base package and/or cross grade. If you prefer to "rent" (subscribe) to features at a lower initial price point, LN might be right for you. 

Also: If you like trying out new resources, taking free courses, getting bonus discounts, FN might be for you. Faithlife envisions LN to be a SERVICE. They have used the analogy of Amazon Prime as an example to describe how they view it. Amazon Prime began as an "all you can eat" buffet of free, 2 day shipping. Over time, Amazon added a Netflix style video service, a spotify style music service, early access to flash sales, etc. 

Personally, I am a "buy" person... So my motivation for LN continuing with it has to be more than just the rental component. 

Posts 26138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 3:39 PM

Dwayne Justice:
I am unhappy with the Web App, then I should cancel my subscription?

If you enrolled solely or primarily for the WebApp, then while it is in beta it probably is not worth a subscription. However, I would keep an eye on it as I would expect fairly quick development once a truly solid infrastructure is deployed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 8:49 PM

Thank you both for your input. With your help, I have come to a decision. My current base packages are: Logos 6 diamond, Anglican diamond, and Pentecostal & Charismatic Gold, so I believe I already have all of the features and datasets that LN provides. Basically, it seems that I am paying $9.00/mo for stuff that I already have. Since I am unhappy with the Web App, I will cancel my subscription before the new month and keep checking on updates to the beta version. If it ever gets to the point where it works just like the desktop then I may renew my subscription. If I  lose any features that I actually use that are exclusive to LN then I also may reconsider. However, if I ever do decide to re-engage with LN, I would just pay for the year instead of monthly. Again, thank you all for helping me come to this conclusion.

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 27447
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 8:58 PM

Dwayne Justice:
so I believe I already have all of the features and datasets that LN provides

...but you don't. As I said above, ONE of the benefits is early access to FUTURE features. You don't own ANY of the LN features and datasets. 

Posts 26138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 9:33 PM

Dwayne Justice:
If I  lose any features that I actually use that are exclusive to LN then I also may reconsider.

You will loose all Logos Now features - immediately upon the end of your subscription ... we've had to answer that several times when people failed to renew ...

Posts 1084
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 24 2016 11:40 PM

If you want to see what specific features Logos Now provides you, check this thread:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105147.aspx 

I also originally subscribed primarily for the web app. I've been disappointed with the general lack of usability and the glacially slow progress in development and implementation to the point that I don't even try to use it anymore. HOWEVER, Logos Now offers enough other good features to keep me subscribing, and I've thoroughly enjoyed some of the resources the subscription has given access to. Those are also listed on the page linked above.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 170
Dwayne Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:27 PM

Man, I gotta say, you guys are making feel a little "wishy-washy" right now. That being said, congratulations! You have convinced me to maintain my subscription to Logos Now. Thank you all for your guidance in helping me make my final decision.

🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:53 PM

I would keep it too man! For whatever my opinion is worth haha

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 1805
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:58 PM

Dwayne Justice:

Man, I gotta say, you guys are making feel a little "wishy-washy" right now. That being said, congratulations! You have convinced me to maintain my subscription to Logos Now. Thank you all for your guidance in helping me make my final decision.

Dwayne, we have some cool things in store for Logos Now members in the near future. I think you'll be glad you decided to keep it.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 10:43 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Dwayne, we have some cool things in store for Logos Now members in the near future.

And for Verbum Now subscribers? Hoping, hoping..Smile

Posts 1805
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 10:57 PM

Sue McIntyre:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Dwayne, we have some cool things in store for Logos Now members in the near future.

Yes. Verbum Now subscribers as well. :)

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2016 3:02 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Sue McIntyre:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Yes. Verbum Now subscribers as well. :)

WooHoo Thank You Big Smile

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2016 5:46 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Dwayne Justice:

Dwayne, we have some cool things in store for Logos Now members in the near future. I think you'll be glad you decided to keep it.

Yes

Posts 142
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 27 2016 2:22 PM

Thanks Phil.

Posts 72
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 5:22 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I tried a month when Logos Now was first released. Stopped it after the first month. About three months ago I decided to watch the help videos on Logos Now and decided to sign up again. There are a lot of cool features, but the one that I like a lot is being able to set it up so that the lexicons open to the word you want to study just by clicking it in the Bible text. I have an OT and a NT saved work space where I have the lexicons I want in a tabbed window next to the text. Makes is very easy to reference them.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS