Advice on New Sales Representative

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 25 2016 8:25 AM

Hi all:

For quite a long time I have been with Mark Wheeler of Verbum.  We all know he left and is doing great by the way.  We still keep in touch regularly. Quite a ways back he recommended me a sales rep named Tom Boyer.  I called and he is no longer with the company.  Of you veterans and regulars who I trust who would you recommended for my new sales representative?  Your experiences with him/her?

I would prefer a Catholic based sales representative, but I am not sure those exist anymore.  Still happy to know that Verbum as a brand is doing great though.

I appreciate any feedback and recommendations given!

Peace

Matthew

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 8:54 AM

I've always wanted to ask this, but never have...can particular sales reps find/give better deals than another? I'm just wondering what are the benefits from using a single sales rep verses calling in and having a random rep help.

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:00 AM

I moved from Mark Wheeler to Tom Boyer and I'm now with Brayden Brookshier.

(360-398-5429) Direct Line
Brayden.Brookshier@faithlife.com
10am - 6pm PST Tuesday - Saturday

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:02 AM

Josh:

I've always wanted to ask this, but never have...can particular sales reps find/give better deals than another? I'm just wondering what are the benefits from using a single sales rep verses calling in and having a random rep help.

I've not found big differences between reps. I think the benefit of sticking to one person is that (a) they may occasionally email you with unadvertised offers they think you'll be interested in, and (b) you know the person you're dealing with and whether they reliably respond to email, etc.

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:05 AM

To be very honest, I have gone through 4 new sales reps since Dave left.  I have been disappointed each time;  they wanted to sell me instead of meet my needs.  

To be very frank, if I need something from a sales rep I just call and ask for the first one available. This isn't very often.  And with the change in payment plans, I just pay cash for my purchases now, they very small ones I still do.

I tell you this just to give you a perspective on the experience on relationships with sales reps I have had.  I don't have much desire, or reason, to develop one with a new sales rep.

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:06 AM

Mark Barnes:

I've not found big differences between reps. I think the benefit of sticking to one person is that (a) they may occasionally email you with unadvertised offers they think you'll be interested in, and (b) you know the person you're dealing with and whether they reliably respond to email, etc.

This would be my thought as well.  But I have had to wait a couple of days for repsonse at least from all my sales reps, hence just calling in.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Josh:

I can see that. I always call in before I buy something. I never trust the price given in the online store. I seemingly always get a better offer than what is posted online.

I still don't understand why a sales rep can give me a better deal than what is posted online. I feel like this is unfair to the common consumer. Most people probably don't know they can save money from calling in. The price online should be the best price period. Calling in should make no difference. I think this is poor policy. 

Posts 6743
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:19 AM

Maggie Segar or Zachary (don't know last name)

DAL

Posts 499
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 9:22 AM

Josh:

I've come to view it similar to walking into a brick and mortar store - most the time I can walk in and get what I want.  But if I have a vague idea and am unsure about a purchase or can't find what I'm looking for, I look for a professional to help me make a decision.  And if I frequent the store enough, I know which people to go to and which ones to let pass by based on their knowledge and helpfulness.

From what I've gathered on a couple of these kind of threads in recent history, it seems like "deals" given are fairly similar across the board for sales reps.  I'm blessed to have access to the academic discount, so I see that oftentimes, I regularly get great deals on most resources already.  But it never hurts to call or email a person just in case they can work a sales-miracle.  I make small or sales purchases on my own via the website, and larger bundles or base packages I usually call in.

FWIW, I've found Cliff Kvidahl (Cliff.Kvidahl@faithlife.com) to be very helpful in the handful of times I've called. He helped me make some decisions and worked with my budget. But I'm not sure how well versed he is in Catholic Resources.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 3375
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 4:00 PM

Matthew, what role are you looking for a salesperson to fill? This will affect which ones will be best for you.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 5:52 PM

Josh:
The price online should be the best price period.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Posts 4818
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2016 8:16 PM

Everett Headley:
To be very honest, I have gone through 4 new sales reps since Dave left.  I have been disappointed each time;  they wanted to sell me instead of meet my needs.

Dave Kaplan was a peach. Great guy--bent over backward to make you happy. I never purchased anything online if I could get it by going through Dave. Yeah, it occasionally took longer, but I'm rarely on a deadline and I liked helping him out since he helped me out so often. Faithlife has an easy five-figure$ in their coffers they would never have gotten otherwise if not for Dave Kaplan. My Logos purchases have now dried up almost completely. Severely bummed he's gone. 

Posts 6743
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2016 3:26 PM

Kelvin Niblett:

Josh:
The price online should be the best price period.

I agree wholeheartedly!

There should be a discount code given to Logos users when they buy a base package (or already own one) that would work only with the resources that have discounts available (Maybe make the discount bigger depending on the base package you own). That way, we get the best price available online right away and Logos in return gets happy customers that will keep coming back clicking "place order" again and again 😁 But then again, that might put more people out of work 😕

DAL

Ps. Or maybe have a yearly membership "discount" code that you can purchase and be entitled to 15% off any purchase and 20% to 25% on larger purchases $500 and up -- come on, brainstorm! Hehehe

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2016 7:49 PM

David Paul:
Dave Kaplan was a peach. Great guy--bent over backward to make you happy. I never purchased anything online if I could get it by going through Dave.

Definitely agree! Tried several but haven't connected with one that works with me like Dave. Hopefully someone who understands your library and its direction will be found . . .

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2016 8:52 PM

Jerry Smith:

David Paul:
Dave Kaplan was a peach. Great guy--bent over backward to make you happy. I never purchased anything online if I could get it by going through Dave.

Definitely agree! Tried several but haven't connected with one that works with me like Dave. Hopefully someone who understands your library and its direction will be found . . .

Dave Kaplan built my library to 50,000 resources. No other Sales Rep will ever replace him. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS