Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26
John Grub | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 1 2016 3:25 PM

What would be the best way to search for all terms or phrases used to describe sin in the bible?

Posts 3538
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:07 PM

John Grub:
What would be the best way to search for all terms or phrases used to describe sin in the bible?

Not knowing what your aim in this exercise is presents a disadvantage. However, because sin is a major topic in the bible I would begin by doing Bible Search on the word "sin" searching the whole bible. If you choose Match all word forms you will get 763 hits (I used the ESV). Additionally, I would do a second Bible Search on the word "error," in this case I would select Match case. This search on the whole bible returns 13 hits (again using the ESV). 

Just in case you are unfamiliar with where Match all word forms and Match case are, they can be found by the Search icon on the tab on the far left. You select the downward pointing grey shaded triangle (red arrow).

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 36098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:40 PM

Do a Bible Word Study on the English word "sin"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:42 PM

The Bible Sense Lexicon should also help but I'm having problems with it at the moment.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3538
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 5:41 PM

You know John, after reading MJ's response to your question I realized that I misread your question, so I owe you an apology, forgive me. Let me see if I can redeem myself with a better answer. 

The Topic Guide found under the heading Guides is also a helpful tool in finding words and phrases that are used for sin in the bible. The Bible Sense Lexicon is a section in its report. I was dissatisfied to find that the word "error" does not occur any where in Bible Word Study, Bible Sense Lexicon, Topic Guide or even among the results returned when I searched my collection of Language Books.

So, I must say your question exposes what I see as an inadequacy in the reach of this fine tool. I think the best answer is the one given by MJ. If you want to know how words are used in the bible, Bible Word Study is your best bet. However, it has its limitations and I cannot find a resource or tool that completely answers your question satisfactorily. You must let your own knowledge of the bible and the available tools be your guide.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 26
John Grub | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 5:57 PM

Thanks for your quick reply, no apologies needed. 

I owe an apology for not explaining better, here it goes and I hope it makes sense.

What I really want to search is more of the phrases used in place of the word sin

• throat is an open grave
  • their tongues keep deceiving
  • they have the poison of asps under their lips
  • mouth full of cursing and bitterness
  • feet swift to shed blood
  • no fear of God

I just was wondering about all the different clauses to describe sin with out using the word sin...

Posts 36098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 6:21 PM

Referred to as section would give you a start ... but no, metaphors and similes are not tagged with their commonly accepted "referent". Wondering what the real term was for "referent" I found in wikipedia:

The Philosophy of Rhetoric (1937) by I. A. Richards describes a metaphor as having two parts: the tenor and the vehicle. The tenor is the subject to which attributes are ascribed. The vehicle is the object whose attributes are borrowed. In the previous example, "the world" is compared to a stage, describing it with the attributes of "the stage"; "the world" is the tenor, and "a stage" is the vehicle; "men and women" is the secondary tenor, and "players" is the secondary vehicle.

Other writers employ the general terms ground and figure to denote the tenor and the vehicle. Cognitive linguistics uses the terms target and source respectively.

Now I can tell you pedantically that tenor is not coded for vehicles.  Wink

Posts 26
John Grub | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 6:27 PM

Thanks for all the info. This is great even though we can't always accomplish what we set out to do.

Blessings

Posts 3538
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 6:48 PM

John Grub:

What I really want to search is more of the phrases used in place of the word sin

• throat is an open grave
  • their tongues keep deceiving
  • they have the poison of asps under their lips
  • mouth full of cursing and bitterness
  • feet swift to shed blood
  • no fear of God

Fascinating John!

I'm truly excited. You see, I love the Psalms. Our Lord used them repeatedly and they speak of the deep things of both God and man. The phrases you reference are found in the New Testament Letter to the Romans. But, most have parallels in the Psalms!

Now, I know your not interested in me rambling on. You want to know how to use Logos. Well here's what you do. Make a collection of bibles. I recommend you use the AV, ESV, LEB, NASB, NIV and NRSV. If you need direction on making collections see wiki

Do a Bible Search of each phrase. When you search a phrase you must use ""s e.g. "throat is an open grave"

Some of your phrases are off a bit. I searched them all and was very impressed with the results.

• "their tongues"
  • "the poison of asps"
  • "full of cursing"
  • "swift to shed blood"
  • "no fear of God"

I hope you have as much fun mining the gold of your question as I have had.

Posts 36098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 7:07 PM

A search on sin in the following resources might be a good starting point.

• Beck, John A., ed. Zondervan Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011.
  • Ryken, Leland, Jim Wilhoit, Tremper Longman, Colin Duriez, Douglas Penney, and Daniel G. Reid. Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.

Factbook is also promising as it it curated.

Posts 26
John Grub | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 7:31 PM

One door closes and another one opens.

You guys are great !

Posts 3538
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2016 7:52 PM

John, 

I found what I believe to be an affordable and useful book which addresses sin topically it is Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary Topic Finder it's only $9.99 and it is a treasure. But, even it omits the obvious word "error" from it's analysis. Nevertheless, it's really quite good.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS