ESV Permanent Text Edition 2016

Page 1 of 6 (113 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 112 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 4 2016 5:45 AM

I noticed this while scrolling my Twitter feed today. Any plans for Logos? 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 9:42 AM

John Kight:

I was under the impression that textual edits were already being incorporated into the ESV.

(bonus if you get the reference)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 10:55 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't do impressions :)

mm.

Doc B:

John Kight:

I was under the impression that textual edits were already being incorporated into the ESV.

(bonus if you get the reference)

mm.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 2:06 PM

Doc B:

Would someone from FL confirm this assertion?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 5020
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 2:15 PM

There was a fairly recent discussion on the forums about someone having a different text in their print edition in comparison to their logos version and it was highlighted in that edition Logos does release updates to the text of ESV without a separate resource being created that we have to purchase.

Making an assumptio, that is of course not binding on FL, I expect these edits will flow through to our copies of ESV at some point.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 2:58 PM

In my Library the last update to the ESV was Feb 18 2015, so I doubt it contains any updates from the Permanent Text Editionb 2016.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 4 2016 3:10 PM

Beloved:
Would someone from FL confirm this assertion?

I don't work for FL, but I can confirm that FL, per licensing agreements, has kept the ESV "up to date." This DOES mean that the copy you have in Logos may not fully match your print edition. 

Some translators / publishers release small updates and consider it "the same translation." Other times, they release a "new" translation. The NIV84/NIV11 would be an example of the latter. The ESV, up to this point, would be the former. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2016 9:03 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
There was a fairly recent discussion on the forums about someone having a different text in their print edition in comparison to their logos version

That thread was exactly where I got my impression. I just don't know how to find a link to it.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5020
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 2:16 PM

Doc B:
That thread was exactly where I got my impression. I just don't know how to find a link to it.

This is the thread Doc B: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/127869.aspx 

Posts 565
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 5:25 PM

The Logos version of the ESV is not the Permanent Text Edition 2016. The current version of the ESV in Logos is the 2011 text edition.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 5:58 PM

Can anyone find any "official" source which talks about changes to the ESV text in 2016? I haven't been able to find any. 

In any case, if there are changes made, you should expect an update at some point in the future to your ESV text within Logos. 

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:43 PM

alabama24:
Can anyone find any "official" source which talks about changes to the ESV text in 2016?

No, which is really odd. The only thing that I found was here https://www.accordancebible.com/2016-ESV/ 

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:46 PM

Download the PDF at his link:

http://www.inearthenvessels.com/in-his-image/the-esv-permanent-text-edition-2016

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 7:16 PM

Thanks! Smile

Posts 3
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 8:49 PM

I have been unable to find anything official about it, and I have tried my hardest. In addition to accordance, I noticed the Grace to You app also mentions the ESV permanent edition. Beyond those two sources I haven't found anything else.

The In Earthen Vessels website that was mentioned is the most comprehensive information that I am aware of at this point.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 9:09 PM

Bible hub references it http://biblehub.com/esv/psalms/117.htm 

Posts 455
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 9:50 PM

Brad:

I have been unable to find anything official about it, and I have tried my hardest. In addition to accordance, I noticed the Grace to You app also mentions the ESV permanent edition. Beyond those two sources I haven't found anything else.

The In Earthen Vessels website that was mentioned is the most comprehensive information that I am aware of at this point.

I didn't know that duplicate usernames were possible on these forums.  Is this unusual?  Welcome, Brad!

Posts 109
Gavin Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2016 1:08 PM

I talked to someone @ Logos about this. They won't update the ESV 2011 text. It'll be a new 2016 version for purchase.

I asked when they will be updating the ESV 2011 text and the guy exclaimed, "the publishers just can't give out free Bibles". LOL

Logos is a little disappointing. Especially the iOS app. Can't change font, etc. There are free eReader/Bible apps that let you do a bunch that you can't do on Logos.

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2016 1:11 PM

Gavin Murphy:
I talked to someone @ Logos about this. They won't update the ESV 2011 text. It'll be a new 2016 version for purchase.

I find that hard to believe.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 18 2016 1:13 PM

Wow they shouldn't charge for a handful of changes...disappointing 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Page 1 of 6 (113 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS