The Lexham Discourse Hebrew and Greek Bundle (12 vols.) Gone?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 7 2016 5:38 AM

It appears that you can no longer purchase the subject resource set.  Had it on my wish list and noticed it was grayed out this morning.

https://www.logos.com/product/47298/the-lexham-discourse-hebrew-and-greek-bundle

That seems odd to me being a Lexham resource.  Maybe it's being redone in some form.

??

Posts 2511
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 5:56 AM

I can't access the item you reference, is it much different than

https://www.logos.com/product/81252/lexham-discourse-bundle-15-vols-2-courses-with-datasets

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1011
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 6:45 AM

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  The 12 volume set has disappeared, evident when I click on the link in my wish list and get the "We're Sorry" page.  Here is what was on my wish list:

I had an academic discount in place so the price was slightly lower than the #349 USD you see in the screen shot.

The one you mention has at lease some difference - Mobile Ed resources and some others.  Not sure if the basic 12 volumes that was there before are in this one.

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:18 AM

The Visual Filter in my Logos Now say Discource Feartues...is this the same?

Posts 501
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:27 AM

When I clicked the link I get this which would lead me to believe that it is now part of the cloud.

Posts 25331
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:42 AM

SHotchkiss:
lead me to believe that it is now part of the cloud.

But also part of - for example - the Lexham Press Scholar's Bundle - https://www.logos.com/product/43657/lexham-press-scholars-bundle 

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 2:05 PM

It looks like a forced up-size on the discourse meal, if you want the bundle you now also have to pay for the mobile Ed. courses on discourse or buy one of the other even larger bundles or take up a cloud subscription - but there could be something else going on with reconfiguring of packages.  We'll have to wait and see if FL respond.

Posts 736
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 4:00 PM

Yeah, remember there is big release of "something" soon, so maybe it got swallowed up in some new base package or configuration. We'll find out soon enough...

Posts 1427
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 4:16 PM

The Hebrew and Greek Discourse material from Steven Runge and Josh Westbury, in its initial release form, was a separate resource laid over a separate version of the Hebrew and Greek texts (and the ESV Bible).

We wanted to "free it up" from being used with a particular text (this was always the original vision) so we turned it into a dataset with visualizations. The datasets (one Hebrew, one Greek) can lay over just about any Greek NT or Hebrew Bible; they can also be used with Bibles that have reverse interlinears. You can turn on bits and portions of the discourse annotations, or all of them. They are also easier to search in conjunction with those other texts (e.g., locate the metacomments in the LEB).

When did this happen? The updated datasets were released with 6.12 of Logos Now, but they are available for purchase outside of Logos Now as well.

So I believe the products that contained the old resources were discontinued, but there are a few different products that were introduced in their places.

The new datasets, with Steven Runge's Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament, is available here: https://www.logos.com/product/81254/lexham-discourse-bible (the least-cost option outside of Logos Now, I believe) and in the other collection mentioned elsewhere in this post. Other Lexham Press collections appear to contain the revised datasets as well.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 6:15 PM

Thanks for the response Rick, what does that mean for those who own the resources already? Does their being discontinued mean there will be any change in supporting them in the software? In other words, will we be forced to use the filters over other Bibles instead of the original resources at some point?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 6:57 PM

Not cool for those who already own the bundle and also have Logos Now subscription...

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 33762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 7:04 PM

EX:
Not cool for those who already own the bundle and also have Logos Now subscription...

I'm not sure why you think this. The function of the bundle is unchanged; and with Logos Now you have access to the new function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:26 PM

Because it was expensive? And resale value went down. You can get basically the same function without spending $350.

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 11:39 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

The Hebrew and Greek Discourse material from Steven Runge and Josh Westbury, in its initial release form, was a separate resource laid over a separate version of the Hebrew and Greek texts (and the ESV Bible).

So I believe the products that contained the old resources were discontinued, but there are a few different products that were introduced in their places.

The new datasets, with Steven Runge's Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament, is available here: https://www.logos.com/product/81254/lexham-discourse-bible (the least-cost option outside of Logos Now, I believe) and in the other collection mentioned elsewhere in this post. Other Lexham Press collections appear to contain the revised datasets as well.

I have to pay $21.99 (dynamic) for the Lexham Discourse Bible (8 vols.)  I thought I had them all. I find it very confusing.

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 7 2016 11:59 PM

I'm in the same boat. but no resource is starred as I dont have..  something is wrong.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 12:14 AM

Lee:

I have to pay $21.99 (dynamic) for the Lexham Discourse Bible (8 vols.)  I thought I had them all. I find it very confusing.

I am going to assume the $21.99 is for the new datasets Rick mentioned. To own the datasets outright is going to cost $21.99.

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:15 AM

An explanation of the $21.99 from FL would be appreciated,

Posts 2811
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:01 AM

Matt Hamrick:

I am going to assume the $21.99 is for the new datasets Rick mentioned. To own the datasets outright is going to cost $21.99.

Correct. It is a known problem that the datasets are not listed as separate items. This also explains why there are only 5 resources listed, but the package title states 8 volumes.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 1427
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:13 AM

Matt Hamrick:

Lee:

If you have all of the previous material and not the datasets, then my guess is that yes, this is basically the price for current owners to purchase the new dataset and visual filters — the dataset+visual filter material is essentially v2.0 of the discourse material.

If you missed it and just want to see more about the dataset and visual filters, here is the post (from May 2016 in the Logos Now forum) from May when the feature and dataset was released: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/125852/819567.aspx Lee, if you purchased prior to May 2016, then (again, my guess/deduction) the pricing difference would be due to the datasets and visual filters.

To address an earlier comment, the previous resources (LDHB and LDGNT information overlayed on interlinear versions of the Hebrew Bible and Greek NT) have not been deprecated or removed, and we have no plans to do such things. They are separate licenses and not directly related (outside of representing the same annotation) to the newer dataset+visual filter implementation. We have no plans to "force" current owners of the material to the newer implementation.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2016 7:28 AM

Whew! Dodged that bullet. Calm down, Silver.

I use LDB in its visualization format by testament. And grouped with my other 5 visualizations.  Quick glances do wonders, during study.

Plus I picked up the dataset minutes ago, just in case.

I feel sorry for the newer purchasers. Unless, Logos has an interlinear visualization in the works. That'd really cludge up the works, UI-wise.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS