Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2016 5:36 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SBXX3TI/ 

I wish it was in logos. $1.99 Kindle

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:21 AM

I guess I slept thru 2015 somehow. The cover of the book bounces off of 'post-Christian'.

I never really signed on to post-modern ... that seemed to be ego-istic ... modern is modern.  Only the end of the end time could be post-modern.

So, now, post-Christian. They have a list of characteristics and you have to get 9 or more to be post-Christian. My browser refused the quiz ... probably good thing.

I was surprised Arizona was in the running ... we have state-supported Christian universities. Turns out it was 'Tucson'.  Might have known .... which begs the question about the quiz, if you know Tucson (avoiding a theological cataclysm here).

Anyway Logos selling it for $2?  

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:34 AM

Not a sale for Canadians this is the first time I have ever been directed to the Canadian kindle store without a similar pricing I know the Canadian dollar is down but $1.99 us is not $14.57 can. Had it been a similar price I might have considered it.Thanks for pointing it out.

-Dan

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:36 AM

I am REALLY tempted to get it, but I'm not. A book like this has little value in Kindle and would be too difficult to turn into a meaningful PB. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:37 AM

Dan Francis:
the Canadian kindle store without a similar pricing I know the Canadian dollar is down but $1.99 us is not $14.57 can.

The normal Kindle price in the U.S. is just shy of $15. 

Posts 138
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:41 AM

It's unrelated but you guys do know that the ISBE is only $4.99 on kindle. It's the new and updated one (not the 1919 or whatever version). Then you can set it as your dictionary and whenever you highlight a word while reading it will magically look up the word in the ISBE and give it in a pop-up window. Crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Encyclopedia-ISBE-James-Orr-ebook/dp/B0047O2RNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470926498&sr=8-1&keywords=isbe+kindle#navbar

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:10 AM

alabama24:
too difficult to turn into a meaningful PB. 

what do you consider to be meaningful? As long as the largetext search works, its useful to me (For those who don't know, the base text must be 12 or less and the large text (headings etc.) must be 14 minimum for this to work.). Its very easy to do with the "select all text with similar formatting" function in Word.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1024
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:14 AM

James Taylor:
what do you consider to be meaningful? As long as the largetext search works, its useful to me

Personally, I would consider this kind of work to be meaningless without scripture links

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:17 AM

David Carter:
meaningless without scripture links

If you are referring to hyperlinks that Logos recognizes as Bible references, that provoke popups of the passage when the book is built, then yes it happens automatically as long as the reference is in the format that the system recognizes.

It only needs further tagging if you want milestone tagging, which this particular resource would not need (its not a commentary) or if the verse is mentioned without the chapter and book name (which is rare in a book like this, though there can be some instances).

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:29 AM

David Carter:
Personally, I would consider this kind of work to be meaningless without scripture links

As James mentioned, many/most scripture links are automatically created when you build a personal book. The more explicit the reference, the higher the percentage. 

Posts 30483
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:31 AM

James Taylor:
what do you consider to be meaningful? As long as the largetext search works, its useful to me (For those who don't know, the base text must be 12 or less and the large text (headings etc.) must be 14 minimum for this to work.). Its very easy to do with the "select all text with similar formatting" function in Word.

Did you get this resource? If so, did a TOC get auto created? 

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:37 AM

alabama24:
did a TOC get auto created? 

The ToC is pretty basic, it only has The Alphabet.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 9:48 AM

Mattillo:

From the copyright page of the book

"This book was adapted from The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics, published in 1999 by Baker Academic."

The original is available here: https://www.logos.com/product/26313/baker-encyclopedia-of-christian-apologetics

I am not sure what the differences are between those two.

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 9:50 AM

I did not know that. Good to know and thank you

I have this book in print and the one you sent in logos so I'll compare them later

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 9:58 AM

Matt Zimmerman:

It's unrelated but you guys do know that the ISBE is only $4.99 on kindle. It's the new and updated one (not the 1919 or whatever version). Then you can set it as your dictionary and whenever you highlight a word while reading it will magically look up the word in the ISBE and give it in a pop-up window. Crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Encyclopedia-ISBE-James-Orr-ebook/dp/B0047O2RNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470926498&sr=8-1&keywords=isbe+kindle#navbar

That's definitely the Public Domain version, the publication date refers to the Kindle version. That publisher has a lot of Christian public domain books he is selling on Kindle.

Posts 1024
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 11:38 AM

Bernhard:

Mattillo:

From the copyright page of the book

"This book was adapted from The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics, published in 1999 by Baker Academic."

The original is available here: https://www.logos.com/product/26313/baker-encyclopedia-of-christian-apologetics

Good news (for me) - I already own The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics so I've just  potentially saved myself $1.99 . It's actually included on a Geisler Apologetics Library CD which I bought as a Libronix CD-ROM a while back. According to the CD case it needs a minimum of Windows 98 to run which shows how old it is!

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 12:16 PM

Matt Zimmerman:
It's unrelated but you guys do know that the ISBE is only $4.99 on kindle

Illustrations (not included in Kindle version) ..., Maps (not included in Kindle version) ..., and Indices (not included in Kindle version).

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 12:21 PM

Matt Zimmerman:

How do we know this is the new edition? 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 1:00 PM

Bernhard:

Interesting, I didn't notice that.

Here's a comparison: some of it is word-for-word, but the A-Z resource is more concise in certain articles, it completely cuts out certain paragraphs, and then is word-for-word again

Posts 2910
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2016 7:54 PM

Dan Francis:

Not a sale for Canadians this is the first time I have ever been directed to the Canadian kindle store without a similar pricing I know the Canadian dollar is down but $1.99 us is not $14.57 can. Had it been a similar price I might have considered it.Thanks for pointing it out.

You can migrate your Kindle account back and forth between amazon.com and amazon.ca, and save a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201248840

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS