Search Syntax

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 48
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 19 2016 11:52 AM

Is there a comprehensive guide, preferably with examples, of how to properly search in Logos 6.  I am looking for something that explains what "Section" means, when to use <> or {}, what is the proper use of ~, etc.

I tried the wiki but frankly was overwhelmed due to the sheer volume of material and the brevity of the explanations for each entry.

Ideally I wish Logos would create a Mobile Ed course "How to Perform Complex Searches in Logos 6," but doubt that will happen any time soon if ever.

Any idea on how I can get a handle on this.  I have come to the conclusion that I don't get much out of my searches because my syntax is incorrect.

Thanks,

Posts 26874
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 12:14 PM

https://verbum.com/products/51655/verbum-advanced-search-training

And there was a series of tips of the day on searches and well as searches frequently appearing in "best answers of the week".

Best ways to learn:

1. Study the example that Logos builds - especially from the Context Menu (right click) and try modifying them to get precisely what you need
  2. Ask on the forums ... again and again ... how to build particular searches
  3. Go through the cookbook examples in the search panel ... a section at a time
  4. Go through the wiki in very small chunks, trying it as you progress.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2117
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 12:16 PM

Also, the documentation in the built-in help resource may be useful.

Posts 48
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 12:25 PM

Andrew,

Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't really looked in there since the days of Libronix because I found it absolutely useless at that time.

Logos has come a long way since then, so my assessment back then likely does not hold true today.

I appreciate the reminder.

Thanks,

Posts 48
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 1:42 PM

MJ,

I have tried to post a reply to you three times and keeping getting an error. Also it doesn't post as a reply to you.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am very impatient and that is part of the problem, but you make sense.

Does Verbum using the same underlying archeticture as L6?  I ask because I want to know if those searches will work exactly the same in Logos 6.

Thanks,

Posts 26874
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2016 1:50 PM

Yes, there is no difference between the Logos and Verbum searches.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 48
Maclen4 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2016 5:59 AM

MJ,

I just finished the Verbum search training and wanted to thank you for that suggestion. It answered the questions I had been trying to figure out.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS