New Feature: Sermon Editor

Page 7 of 13 (257 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 256 Replies | 27 Followers

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 3:56 AM

Bob Pritchett:
When you give people unstructured free-formatting editors, they hack everything up with their own conventions -- which is a win for human freedom and creative expression (yay!) but a loss for automatic processing.
 Even here there are workarounds, but I don't need them. I think what we need rather are just a few more items.  

I personally don't' need a great deal of formatting.

• (smallest, smaller, small, normal, big, bigger, and biggest) is fine for me.  I'd much rather have numerical font choices from say 8pt to 20pt which should be sufficient for anything that's not a header anyway.    But the vague offering would be doable.

• I do need to export/print smaller text though, and right now NOTHING changes that, even setting the scale slider in the menu to smallest does nothing at all - in opposition to every other area of the program where this is how I change font size.

• I love Jonathan's idea above of letting us mark an "Illustration" with a nice button so that it becomes a recorded illustration in the database.(Shoot make it a public or private illustration and add the public ones to a massive logos database of illustrations.

• Colors: Make it so that a predefined pallet shows up on the TEXT tab, but not on the proclaim/powerpoint export (make sure you spell that out).

Basically every sermon I write has at least:

• quotations (got it)
  • Heading based hierarchy (got it)
  • Illustrations (don't have)
  • and a few basic text styles like bold, italic, underline (got it)

But I'm also pretty particular about the font I like to read, and the font sizing (12 pt please).  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:39 AM

I'm with Thomas. We discussed this during the beta and the suggestion to create a fixed number of different styles (which I suspect is already being worked onWink) would probably be fine, as long as there is a style I like Smile. Possibly some additional color controls, though I seldom use color, that is apparently something others would use.

I have to stress once again the need for these documents to be included in the ios and android apps. Read only is fine. I understand the SoundFaith work around, but that does not serve those with an unreliable internet connection, or no internet at all.

Posts 1210
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:46 AM

Bob Pritchett:
For example, if people can control fonts and size, they often skip things like choose H1, H2, or H3 and just make headings bigger, or bold, or in a different font (or all three). And then the software has a harder time detecting that that was a header, which is important when you want to write features that preserve headings across Questions and Handouts, or cause them to automatically generate slides, etc.

This makes a lot of sense. Yesterday I took some time and copied a recent sermon into the sermon editor and adapted it to it's own terms and I think I can work within it's structure. I really like how my sermons will be searchable.

The absolute must have is some ability to read it on my iPad without sending it to pages/word to decrease font or make it look better. If I have to do this I might as well continue using Pages.

In fact I hope there is no exporting to pages/word at all. We have documents in our Logos mobile app, it would be great to open it from there in a full page, continuous scroll screen and preach.

Posts 32
Kevin M. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:57 AM

I've used this tool twice this week (for a chapel message Wednesday with handouts and as I'm prepping for Sunday's message). I absolutely LOVE it (handouts were great - after re-formatting the HUGE fonts that were output, lol) BUT as I've mentioned previously related to media access improvements, here's what just happened...

Basic sermon is done and I send it to proclaim. Well, I've got 3 weeks left of a 30 week series (Zondervan Believe) where every slide is formatted the same with background images that match the weeks theme. So everything I just did in Sermon editor is pretty much useless bc I can't change the background properly. The default verse slide had white text on gray background. I changed it to black on gray to stand out more and moved the verse reference because it was interfering with the weekly icon on the slide. Thus I always had to duplicate the slide to retain proper formatting (unless there's another way I don't know about). Not sure how to render this.

In the future I can use whatever is in sermon editor except I'm planning another long series (Zondervan Story probably) and will end up with the same problem, especially if the media added to proclaim is not available in Logos Sermon Editor. We need to be able to customize and add media to the sermon editor - and it should be able to pull in any media from within Logos as well.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:28 PM

Fredc:

Randy Radke:
Another helpful addition would be spell checking.

Spellcheck was also discussed during the beta period. FL said this would be added in a future release.

I just ran into this and was on the way to start a thread.  If the goal of handouts and questions is to make this sermon something more than I can see, then we need spellchek just for those moments when I miss the obvious.

^^^^^^^^ like that.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 32
Kevin M. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:33 PM

Is this a glitch - I use the HCSB and that's what shows up in sermon editor but when it sent the slides to proclaim they are all in ESV??? I notices this while editing all of the slides due to previous issues mentioned. This is getting very frustrating at this point. It seems to me some minor tweaks would relieve a lot of frustration from the end user experience. I won't be able to use this (and I love the editor and the idea - it's a must for the FL suite) without a fix (is there an export setting I missed somewhere?).

Posts 2
Rev Ian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 7:11 PM

The export to PowerPoint feature is less than ideal. The slides are exported as images so I can't edit them or add animations etc. How about making it so that they are not images but editable?

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 11:01 PM

Kevin M. Adams:
Is this a glitch - I use the HCSB and that's what shows up in sermon editor but when it sent the slides to proclaim they are all in ESV???

Do you mean that after export the ESV is selected in Proclaim as below?

I can reproduce that - but the exported slides contain the text of the HCSB. Do you see the same?

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Graham Criddle:

Kevin M. Adams:
Is this a glitch - I use the HCSB and that's what shows up in sermon editor but when it sent the slides to proclaim they are all in ESV???

Do you mean that after export the ESV is selected in Proclaim as below?

I can reproduce that - but the exported slides contain the text of the HCSB. Do you see the same?

I can also reproduce the problem that Graham describes and have reported it to the team.

Posts 19
Chris Sipes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:43 AM

Is there spell check in the sermon editor? If so where is it found?

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:09 AM

Chris Sipes:

Is there spell check in the sermon editor? If so where is it found?

Not currently but it has been requested 

Posts 19
Chris Sipes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:45 AM

Why would a person request a spell check in a word processer? would that not be a standard feature?

Posts 19
Chris Sipes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:50 AM

I just found that we do have spell check in the "key topics" tag but not in the body of the text. So maybe they will add it soon.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 8:59 AM

Chris Sipes:

I just found that we do have spell check in the "key topics" tag but not in the body of the text. So maybe they will add it soon.

Thats less a spellchecker but rather the tag having to march one already defined in the software.

Sorry!

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 10:43 AM

Chris Sipes:

Why would a person request a spell check in a word processer? would that not be a standard feature?

Yes

Check the Wiki

Posts 26
Eric Bentz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 10:46 AM

When I select a portion of a commentary text how do I bring it into the Sermon Editor? I see it done in the video. I have tried selecting the text and hitting the blockquote button but nothing happens. Please let me know thanks.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 10:47 AM

A standard copy and paste should do it

Posts 26
Eric Bentz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 10:58 AM

That will bring the text over for me but if you notice in the video there is a link produced taking you back the actual reference. in a general copy and paste that doesn't seem to happen.

Posts 26
Eric Bentz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 12:22 PM

Thanks Graham you were correct. I was doing it incorrectly. Thanks Again.

Posts 32
Kevin M. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 3:08 AM

Thank you Graham and Bradley. I had not checked the actual text, I assumed that since it was now marked ESV in Proclaim and it was saying ESV on the slide it was ESV!! My bad if it wasn't I guess (go figure, lol). If that is the case then I can just turn off the "show version on slide" toggle and not add confusion for the people. Seems it's been reported so let's hope it's a quick fix and taken care of. 

Page 7 of 13 (257 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS