note typing lag

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 138
Jeff Stephens | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:06 AM

I gotta tell ya, frustration is starting to set in. I have tried all the advice that I have been given to stop the lag in note typing. I am trying to study for a sermon and I have to keep waiting for the notes to catch up with my typing. It doesn't happen all the time. But in some of my layouts it happens all the time and some rarely. But now it is happening. When is there going to be a fix to this problem?

Thanks for listening.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:45 AM

JeffreyEStephens:

I gotta tell ya, frustration is starting to set in. I have tried all the advice that I have been given to stop the lag in note typing. I am trying to study for a sermon and I have to keep waiting for the notes to catch up with my typing. It doesn't happen all the time. But in some of my layouts it happens all the time and some rarely. But now it is happening. When is there going to be a fix to this problem?

Thanks for listening.

Typing lag in L4 has to do with video rendering of what's happening within the L4 program. Improvements are coming, and seem to be better in 4.0b beta 12 (which is pretty stable), but some may not see as much as they want until MS releases an update for .NET some time this year. I only say this because I'm not a programmer and don't know whether the main culprit is an L4 coding issue, or a .NET issue, or some combination. I do know that not everyone has this issue (I don't, e.g.), and it seems to be a bit of a mystery.

In the mean time, you may or may not have tried these, but I'll mention them anyway:

If you can work without the information pane open that will help (and may explain why some layouts work better than others). The info pane constantly updates, or checks for new information, and is a known source of slowdown for some (because of hardware, and/or some other issues not fully understood).

But the single most important way to improve time for notes reported here is to type set sync to no in the command bar and turn off "Use Internet" from the Tools>Program Settings panel.

Finally, a way around this is to type in another program (even Notepad) and either leave your notes there, or just copy/paste them into the note when you're done. You will loose (some/all?) formatting by copy/paste, but you're info will all be there.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 138
Jeff Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:30 AM

thanks I will try those things. I have tried turning off internet, but not the info window or not syncing.

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:52 AM

I will say, that I have it bad in beta 12.  I tend to watch what I am typing and it is frustrating to type and not see the words for several seconds.  Anymore, I look away when typing notes.  I am hoping for improved note typing speed soon.  That said, highlighting speed has improved dramatically over previous beta version.  In general, L4 has made vast improvements over the last several months and I am confident all the optimization issues will get worked out soon.

Posts 116
Matt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:51 AM

It is quite frustrating.  I would suggest that you make the layout you're using when this occurs available (a screenshot would be best).  Make it the most simple layout possible that reproduces the problem.  Then, hopefully, the kind users in this forum will attempt to duplicate the problem and post their feedback here.  Perhaps then, we might reach the secret quorum required to get Logos to provide feedback.

Matt

Specs:

• Windows 7 x64
  • Quad Xeon 2.83 GHz x2
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM
  • Logos 4.1 Platinum, SR-3, indexed
    Posts 5573
    Forum MVP
    Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:13 AM

Matt:

It is quite frustrating.  I would suggest that you make the layout you're using when this occurs available (a screenshot would be best).  Make it the most simple layout possible that reproduces the problem.  Then, hopefully, the kind users in this forum will attempt to duplicate the problem and post their feedback here.  Perhaps then, we might reach the secret quorum required to get Logos to provide feedback.

Matt

Check out the response from Bob in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12877.aspx

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3917
    Forum MVP
    Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:30 AM

while I made no careful documentation, it seems to me that typing had been "bad" (never more than a word lag, if even that), then seemed almost normal, and now (beta 12 currently) has gotten worse again.  Maybe it was always "bad", but I thought it had been better for awhile.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2769
    DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:19 PM

I hope .net 4 fixes it, but dont think its wholy WPF issue, have posted suggestion as reply to Bob post.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2895
    Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2010 11:53 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Check out the response from Bob in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12877.aspx

The and more I read about WPF I wonder why such a smart bunch of people at Logos would use this dog of a platform. Slow. Uses too much power. Big error IMO. Could have done all they are doing without it.

Posts 3810
    spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2010 12:22 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
    The and more I read about WPF I wonder why such a smart bunch of people at Logos would use this dog of a platform. Slow. Uses too much power. Big error IMO. Could have done all they are doing without it.

I must admit I'm pretty ignorant about such things but if WPF allows for what Bob has said, greater cross platform migration, I'm for it. It may have been a decision based more on where they are planning on being in the future then where they are today.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS