Logos 7 Ultra Sluggish

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:00 PM

I was running the latest version of Logos 6 that ran with high responsivness on my Pentium Dual Core 2.13 GHZ with 4 GB RAM and Windows 10. Logos 7 with all downloads and indexing complete seem to take a lot longer time for routine tasks like opening the Library, scrolling a book, much like the initial release of Logos 4. Faithlife, please look into performance tuning!

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:06 PM

+1

makes me hesitant to buy more resources... don't want to clog it up any more...

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:08 PM

Peter Lever:
Logos 7 with all downloads and indexing complete seem to take a lot longer time for routine tasks like opening the Library, scrolling a book

I am not seeing this... Have you tried restarting your computer? If you are still seeing sluggishness afterwards, please enable and post logs (see my signature line). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:08 PM

Andrew Hayes:
+1

Same as above. If you still have troubles, please create a new thread and post logs. 

Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:11 PM

I had already restarted even befeore first post. Now having turned almost everything off in program seetings (many were already off since the days of Logos 4) and it is slightly better. Already paid for base package and feature set. Not so rich to buy a new laptop immediately only for Logos Sad

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:32 PM

Peter Lever:
I had already restarted even befeore first post.

Ok, so post logs. 

Posts 26485
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:15 PM

Are you sure that the indexing was complete? It makes Logos sluggish until it completes for many of us.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 3:10 AM

This is a wild guess, but I have found on my very fast laptop things get really slow when a resource is up, due to Visual Filters being set. There are a ton of them now, especially with the community settings I have found if you turn them all off things get very fast. 

Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:38 AM

Log files attached. The routine tasks I attempt were never sluggish through Logos 6 versions on the same laptop.

4807.LogosIndexer.zip

1780.Logos.zip

Posts 8010
LogosEmployee

From your log, I see that many disk accesses seem unreasonably slow, and this would likely make the program feel very sluggish. Is it possible that some other program is running in the background and doing a lot of disk I/O? If Logos 7 has to compete with other programs for access to your hard disk, it will slow down.

If you haven't rebooted Windows yet, I would suggest trying that first, just to clear out any other programs that might be running and interfering with Logos.

Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 7:23 PM

WHAT I DID

• Laptop: I reduced my Windows laptop to have only Logos and MS Offices. Disks all cleaned, defragmented. Services, startup programs bare minimum. Windows optimized for perfiormance. Disk has no errors. Latest Norton Security running as always.
  • Logos: Most things are turned off in Program Settings since Logos 4

OUTCOME

• Logos performance improved but not as good as Logos 6.
  • I am glad the program is usable on my Laptop!

POSSIBLE IMPROVMENTS

• Indexer log  says nothing to index. Yet indexer keeps running and I have to manually kill it. This happens everytime starting Logos. Can this be smarter?
  • The first time anyting is done is sluggish. Home page button, library, search, opening a resource. May be it is loading the components into memory for the first time. I did not have this difficulty in Logos 6. Can this be looked into?
  • The program itself has become very complex with numerous features many of them new. Rather than loading and running everything, can it be optimized to do basic/core tasks fast?
Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:13 PM

The core tasks i perform remain unchanged in Logos 5,6,7. It seems i am now suffering from 'bloatware'. Smile In spite of investing heavily and paying a lot regularly, it feels bit cruel even when I have a decent laptop that works well with all other standard software E.g MS Office. I acknowledging that Logos is not as simple.

Posts 26485
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:19 PM

Peter Lever:
The core tasks i perform remain unchanged in Logos 5,6,7. It seems i am now suffering from 'bloatware'. Smile In spite of investing heavily and paying a lot regularly, it feels bit cruel even when I have a decent laptop that works well with all other standard software

The performance of the software depends on many of the things that you do as a user - collections, layouts, filters ... If you want to attack a particular item that is slow, we'd be glad to help if you supply screen shots and answer questions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:30 PM

Peter Lever:

I was running the latest version of Logos 6 that ran with high responsivness on my Pentium Dual Core 2.13 GHZ with 4 GB RAM and Windows 10. Logos 7 with all downloads and indexing complete seem to take a lot longer time for routine tasks like opening the Library, scrolling a book, much like the initial release of Logos 4. Faithlife, please look into performance tuning!

My computer specs are similar to yours, except my clock speed is 3.5 >. The difference was felt when I changed to a Ssd. You are pushing the limits of the computer running Logos with those specs.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 145
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:31 AM

Heartfelt thanks to all. I was touched that you all bothered to empathize. I could not afford a new laptop or SSD at this time. After two days of labor, my Logos 7 seem to be back in shape! http://community.logos.com/forums/t/129573.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS