Sermon Editor and sermon file parity

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 23 2016 1:53 PM

The Sermon editor is missing a few important items to bring it to parity with what you can do by using Microsoft Word's docx format in preparation for making a personal book out of it.

The format for making a docx that works with the personal book tool uses the following fields in a table at the opening:

Sermon File Type

Sermon/Illustration

Passages

Topics

Tags

Date

Speakers

Venues

The sermon tool uses a different subset.  

1. Author may in fact be different than speaker (though not normally).  
  2. Audience type is a nice addition.
  3. However, there is no slot to record the Venue (which, when implemented should be pre-filled with the last venue you typed in there).  Please add Venue so that we know where it was preached. This is particularly helpful if you're a guest speaker somewhere or you otherwise don't want to repeat yourself.
  4. The Sermon Series tag is a really nice addition and in my own usage replaces the "tags".
  5. Also, of considerable importance: The date field is missing.  I'd like to track when I last preached this message if I ever do repeat it.  

I'm not sure if Logos intends that the extra information like Date and Venue should go in the Private Notes field, but I think it is inadequate for that type of tracking.

Finally...

Are these sermons going to show up in a book? In my passage guides? Elsewhere?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 27576
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 2:29 PM

This issue came up in beta ... it is going to be backwards compatible with sermon labels, it simply didn't happen in the available time frame. Sermons do show in the sermons section of the Passage Guide ... I've forgotten where else but remember that there is more. No book - these are documents.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 3:02 PM

TCBlack:

1. Author may in fact be different than speaker (though not normally).  
  2. Audience type is a nice addition.
  3. However, there is no slot to record the Venue (which, when implemented should be pre-filled with the last venue you typed in there).  Please add Venue so that we know where it was preached. This is particularly helpful if you're a guest speaker somewhere or you otherwise don't want to repeat yourself.
  4. The Sermon Series tag is a really nice addition and in my own usage replaces the "tags".
  5. Also, of considerable importance: The date field is missing.  I'd like to track when I last preached this message if I ever do repeat it.  

One thing I'd like to be able to do is to link venue and date - in other words, have a date for the venue, so that I know where I preached it and when. That doesn't work particularly well with the PBB sermon file table, and isn't really catered for in the new Sermon Editor, but I do love this new development - it makes Logos a whole lot more seamless in my weekly workflow. If OPML imports could be added as well, that would be superb. I would prefer OPML import to direct interfaces to mind-,mapping or outlining apps as most of the good apps do OPML exports anyway.  

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 158
James William Roberts, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:46 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an OPML file?

https://sites.google.com/a/oldpaths.org.uk/oldpaths-the-sword-of-the-spiritthe-word-of-god--eph-617b/personal-books/jamesroberts-docx

Posts 27576
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:51 PM

OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) is an XML format for outlines (defined as "a tree, where each node contains a set of named attributes with string values". Originally developed by UserLand, it has since been adopted for other uses

The OPML specification defines an outline as a hierarchical, ordered list of arbitrary elements. The specification is fairly open which makes it suitable for many types of list data.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 56
Joel Ingram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 10:55 PM

Nice post count there MJ! :)

Posts 27576
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 11:11 PM

Big Smile

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 11:35 AM

TCBlack:
Author may in fact be different than speaker (though not normally).

The author field is just a string and can be modified as needed. (And we maintain a link to the Logos account of the user who created the document no matter what string you put in this field.)

GregW:
One thing I'd like to be able to do is to link venue and date - in other words, have a date for the venue, so that I know where I preached it and when

We agree that this is the right way to do it. The plan for an upcoming 7.x version (as soon as we can manage it) is to add a list of "occasions" to the Sermon metadata that links together venue and date. 

GregW:
I would prefer OPML import to direct interfaces to mind-,mapping or outlining apps as most of the good apps do OPML exports anyway.  

I'm surprised by the popularity of OPML, but ... hey, the people have spoken. We're looking into it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS