Tyndale and Bible Speaks Today NT Commentaries not showing as owned in comparison charts

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:16 PM

Hi all

Just thought I would raise this here to see if anyone else has the same issue. I have also sent an email to sales.

Several years ago I purchased the above sets on CDs and they are in my library.

The problem is that they are showing up as new to me on the Logos website and in the comparison charts for the L7 base packages - (I think it is because they have different resource codes) and I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and the extent to which it is influencing the dynamic pricing.

Thanks

Sue

Posts 9117
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:36 PM

Sue, mine show up as owned resources. I don't have any idea why you are seeing the opposite. Are you logged on to the Logos web site with your correct Logos ID?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:53 PM

Mark Smith:

Sue, mine show up as owned resources. I don't have any idea why you are seeing the opposite. Are you logged on to the Logos web site with your correct Logos ID?

Thanks Mark for replying.

Yes, I am logged in. A long while ago now I contacted customer service as the Tyndale Commentaries were not showing as owned on the product pages and they explained that the CD version had a different code.

I just had to remember not to buy them again!  No problem until now when they are in the base packages I am considering .

Just as an aside: This has also highlighted for me the good value provided by bundling Logos products in the base packages. I paid more several years ago for these sets on CD than my present cost of upgrading to a package that contains both of these plus many other resources Smile

Posts 3158
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:54 PM

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry about the confusion. Which Tyndale commentary set are you looking at? It looks like the version of Bible Speaks Today NT Commentary set you have is the UK version. This is a different resource than this one (which is, I'm thinking, the one you're seeing). That's probably why you're seeing them as new to you. 

Edit: It looks like you already figured this out, but I wanted to mention that after looking at your account again I see the Tyndale Old and New Testament commentary is also the UK version.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:08 PM

Thanks for replying Tommy. That explains things. I purchased them in an Australian bookshop.

Probably the only thing to so is purchase them again in a base package? Or are there any other options?

EDIT: I am not necessarily opposed to purchasing them again as I think the possibly Logos hyperlinks go to the other versions - not 100 percent sure about this but think I read it on a forum once? Also not sure if I need two versions of each book in my library Smile

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:54 PM

Sue McIntyre:

I think the possibly Logos hyperlinks go to the other versions - not 100 percent sure about this but think I read it on a forum once? 

I think this is the post, but not sure of the status with linking of the two versions of the resource sets now - and which ones have the links.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/13493/104634.aspx#104634 

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:22 AM

I am in the same boat too Sue.

I have both Tyndale and BST but mine is the Old/Australian version so if I want to upgrade to a higher base package I will have to buy them again and have two copies in my library.

Posts 4701
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:51 AM

Hi Sue and Kelvin

This is a prime example of when a call to Customer Services may trump automation.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:55 PM

Kelvin Niblett:

I am in the same boat too Sue.

I have both Tyndale and BST but mine is the Old/Australian version so if I want to upgrade to a higher base package I will have to buy them again and have two copies in my library.

I thought there may be someone else in the same situation Smile

I did end up purchasing a base package that contained these two commentary sets. The upgrade price was reasonable for me, and more than worth it for obtaining some of the other volumes in the package that I had on pre-pub and in my wish list.

Now I have two sets in my library and have to work out which ones have the Logos tagging!

We have children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews so I will look into the possibility of being able to pass on the extra sets to a good home :-)

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:03 PM

Mike Binks:

Hi Sue and Kelvin

This is a prime example of when a call to Customer Services may trump automation.

Thanks for the reply Mike

The different resource codes are what seem to be the problem. It must make them different products, although they are the same titles Smile

Posts 203
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:21 PM

I have on more than one occasion had similar problems but with different collections: books with the same title by the same author and publisher appearing in different sets or bundles not being included in the dynamic pricing when they likely should be.

A phone call or email to customer service, or even using the Chat Now" window to a sales person has always been able to resolve the issue favourably.

customerservice@faithlife.com or sales@faithlife.com   Smile

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 7:58 PM

I have the same problem for the BST NT and so does a colleague of mine. Like others it was purchased as a CD many years ago. Incidentally I also have the BST OT set which I bought from Logos later and that does show up as owned. A check of the resources show that all my BST NT resources are .lbxlls filetypes and all my BST OT resources are .logos4 filetypes - which confirms the statements of others that the BST NT is being seen as a different resource.

I have been in touch with Sales and they are still 'investigating' the problem so I have pointed them to this discussion. In the end I don't want to re-purchase the set again as the text is the same BUT if the .lbxllls files are not fully cross-referenced that is a pain and diminishes their value. I think the solution is that we should be given credit for the previous purchase and then be allowed to download the latest versions of the files (and then delete the .lbxlls files from the resources directory to avoid duplicates). This would then make sure that all the cross-linking works fine AND that there are no duplicates in our libraries AND ensure that the BST NT always shows up as owned in future (as it will then have the latest 'code').

Posts 104
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:20 AM

I have the same issue with my copies of BST (got them on CD with libronix). Noticed it when I was looking to buy the Gold BP.

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:19 AM

Mike Binks:

Hi Sue and Kelvin

I knew Trump would ruin things, that's why I'm not voting for him 😜😁

So...there's an Autralian, an UK and an American version of the BST commentaries? Oh joy! And I'm sure they read the same with some minor differences in spelling that makes people purchase the set twice or thrice hehehe

Posts 1278
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:45 AM

Last month I visited London (UK) and in the City there were two bookshops still selling new copies of the Tyndale Commentaries CD-ROM. I was very tempted to buy but in the end I decided against it.

If I had bought the set I would take Mike's advice and send an email to Customer Services.

Mike Binks:

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 6:34 PM

I just noticed that on logos.com it now shows that I own "Tyndale" & "BST" so they must have fixed the issue.

Posts 104
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 1:30 AM

I saw both editions in my library the other night, so I assume someone has done their magic.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 9:08 PM

A follow up post to commend Logos for its customer service in regards to this issue.

Today I received an email out of the blue which was an unexpected and welcome surprise. I am very grateful and thankful to Logos and their customer service team for taking this action.

The response confirmed in my estimation the integrity of the company and their high regard for their customers. 

"You recently purchased a Logos 7 library which contains a new global version of the Bible Speaks Today collection and Tyndale Commentaries. You already own an older UK version of those collections. Even though they contain the same content, these are two distinctly different resources in our system, and the resources you own did not contribute toward the Dynamic Price you paid for your Logos 7 library.  We've issued a credit to your account, which more than covers the discount you would have received if we had included the UK version when we dynamically priced this collection for you." (Quote from the email)

Thank you LogosSmile

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 2:47 AM

On issues like this one Sue  Faithlife is always very good in looking after their customers.

Sue McIntyre:

A follow up post to commend Logos for its customer service in regards to this issue.

Today I received an email out of the blue which was an unexpected and welcome surprise. I am very grateful and thankful to Logos and their customer service team for taking this action.

The response confirmed in my estimation the integrity of the company and their high regard for their customers. 

"You recently purchased a Logos 7 library which contains a new global version of the Bible Speaks Today collection and Tyndale Commentaries. You already own an older UK version of those collections. Even though they contain the same content, these are two distinctly different resources in our system, and the resources you own did not contribute toward the Dynamic Price you paid for your Logos 7 library.  We've issued a credit to your account, which more than covers the discount you would have received if we had included the UK version when we dynamically priced this collection for you." (Quote from the email)

Thank you Logos

Posts 102
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 9:49 PM

One more variant on all the above.

I've had the Libronix (UK?) version of the Tyndale commentaries for some time. And my licence has happily updated all of those to .logos4 in recent years. No problem at all.

Over the last few weeks, the US ones have also appeared in my account. So I'm now running both versions. I'm not aware that FL has notified me about the point of this. Is it an easy way to circumvent various problems (like different resources being linked to various US/UK versions, or to having the resources 'owned' when it comes to dynamic pricing)?

Of course it's hardly a grievance to be oversupplied with resources. Though I wonder if anyone can brainstorm potential problems. I suspect annotations that I make in one version won't automatically transfer to the other. So I'll have to watch carefully whether I open one version by choice – or I'm redirected via resource links to the other.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS