Confused dot com

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 93
Nicky | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:00 AM

I am trying to figure out whether or not I have a base package.

Back in the times of Logos 4, I was classed as having the Platinum Scholars Library, then came Logos 5 and I opted for the Logos 5 minimal crossgrade as I have enough books to keep me going for a lifetime so didn't see the need to go for more books...then came Logos 6, and again I opted for the 'feature crossgrade'.. now, here we are at Logos 7!?!

Logos determined that I should opt for the 'Gold' base package, but I don't want to purchase more books, I don't feel the need for them and don't fancy forking out £606.61 to upgrade so I can have another 442 books! So again, I am looking at the Feature set instead.........which brings me to my point of confusion...

Many of the features have an orange B next to them, meaning "This product is only a part of a base package" - does that mean I don't get these features (although I was at one time classed as Platinum and have spent a fair amount on Logos already) unless I buy a re-defined base package because my Platinum library is now obsolete?

Thank you in advance for your replies :)

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:30 AM

If they are shown in the features set, you will get them if you buy the feature set. But you cannot buy them individually outside the set.

I think that is what you are asking, but if you asked about resources then you can only buy them as part of a base library ... you cannot buy the resource individually.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3590
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:39 AM

Hello Nicky. If you get the full feature set, you will get all of the features and datasets that are otherwise available through base packages. You don't have to get a base package if you don't want to.

Base packages are version specific: you could have a Logos 6 Platinum, but if you only upgrade to the full feature set, Logos will not show as Logos 7 Platinum. When you go online to look at packages, what will show is whether or not you own one of the current base packages (not what you have had before). Pricing, however, will reflect discounts based on what you already own. 

If you look into "About Logos Software" in Logos (click first on the help icon), you might see -- as I do -- under your user name and "licensed to" followed by your email, your highest package (which for me is Logos 6 Gold) but under "tech support information" your current version, which for me is 7.0 SR 1.

I hope this all makes sense, if not, ask more questions.

Posts 93
Nicky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:47 AM

Hi, and thanks for your reply. 

@MJ Smith: I wasn't looking to purchase any resources at all, just the Feature set.. thanks for your reply tho ;)

@Francis: Thanks for that.. yes, when I look, I see Scholar's Library: Platinum. My concern was that I would purchase the Feature set but end up with limited features because I didn't have a L6 version specific base pack, I got my package during Logos 4 and didn't feel the need to buy more resources, so I continue to opt for the crossgrades/feature sets. 

Thanks again for your replies

Posts 13058
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:34 AM

Nicky:
My concern was that I would purchase the Feature set but end up with limited features because I didn't have a L6 version specific base pack, I got my package during Logos 4 and didn't feel the need to buy more resources, so I continue to opt for the crossgrades/feature sets. 

If you purchase the Feature Set, you'll get all the features in the set. "This product is only a part of a base package" simply means you can't buy the feature individually, you can only buy it in the feature set. (It says "base package", but it means "feature set".) Faithlife should update the hover text now that they've introduced the new idea of a "feature set".

Posts 26990
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:11 AM

Nicky:
Back in the times of Logos 4, I was classed as having the Platinum Scholars Library, then came Logos 5 and I opted for the Logos 5 minimal crossgrade as I have enough books to keep me going for a lifetime so didn't see the need to go for more books...then came Logos 6, and again I opted for the 'feature crossgrade'.. now, here we are at Logos 7!?!

If you plan to continue updating just the features for as long as you are using the software, I would suggest that you subscribe to a Logos Now membership instead. The downside: You are "renting" the features. The upside: It is considerably cheaper, has many other benefits, and you will be getting the newest features much sooner (i.e. you wont have to wait the full 2 years to gain L8 features). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:53 AM

I think we should put up an average user or a newbie trying to make sense of Logos on Youtube.  I bet it would be entertaining and telling.

Posts 93
Nicky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:19 AM

@ Mark - Thanks :)

@ alabama24 - so, if you are a member of Logos Now, do you still have to purchase Feature sets when they roll out or are you automatically upgraded without further cost to your subscription? Sorry, I haven't quite got my head around Logos Now vs Feature Sets upgrades yet.

Posts 13058
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:32 AM

Nicky:
@ alabama24 - so, if you are a member of Logos Now, do you still have to purchase Feature sets when they roll out or are you automatically upgraded without further cost to your subscription? Sorry, I haven't quite got my head around Logos Now vs Feature Sets upgrades yet.

Logos Now members automatically get all the new features as they are developed, as part of their membership. There's no further cost beyond the membership fee (but you'll lose the features if you cancel your membership).

Posts 93
Nicky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:40 AM
but you'll lose the features if you cancel your membership

Yes, well this is exactly what puts me off Logos Now. I understand the benefit in the sense of getting the new features straight away rather than waiting, but I don't like the idea of being 'tied in' to a membership where I lose out if I cancel. The cost is pretty much the same as well if I buy the 'feature set' when it is released or if I pay the subscription for two years.. infact, it will probably work out cheaper just to buy the feature set, because the subscription costs could rise again within a 2 year period. There really isn't anything that tempts me into Logos Now... more the opposite. (Sorry Logos)

Posts 26990
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:06 AM

Nicky:
it will probably work out cheaper just to buy the feature set, because the subscription costs could rise again within a 2 year period

I understand the desire to "own." I would rather "own" my music, so I don't subscribe to spotify, etc. but purchase through iTunes. When it comes to Logos, however, I am of the mindset to own resources and rent features. 

As for "which is cheaper in the long run"... That depends. Purchasing the feature set makes sense if you think you may stop upgrading but continue to use the features. To me, the features are nice, but the heart of the program are my books. I would not be upset to lose the features as long as I could still have my resources and the free base engine. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 7:36 AM

Nicky:

in fact, it will probably work out cheaper just to buy the feature set, because the subscription costs could rise again within a 2 year period. There really isn't anything that tempts me into Logos Now... more the opposite. (Sorry Logos)

I own the features of Logos 6 but decided to subscribe to Logos Now to get the features of Logos 7. My reasons are the following: (1) It is unlikely that the cost of a subscription to Logos Now for two years will ever exceed the cost of the latest feature set; (2) If I decide to purchase the feature set, because of my Logos Now membership, I can do so at a substantial discount (in my case, $65 for the Logos 7 feature set); (3) As a Logos Now member, I will get many features that will appear in Logos 8 sooner; (4) As a Logos Now member, I can get better discounts on any libraries I decide to purchase; (5) If I ever drop my subscription, I will still have the features of Logos 6, which I have been satisfied with up until now.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 1808
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 8:23 AM

I feel you Nicky..

Its nearly impossible to buy Logos without checking the forum.. their pricing is ridiculously stupid. Not only that, the Logos Now pricing has made Logos price in overall a hot mess. That's not even counting how difficult it is to use Logos 7 for new beginners; how to use search, etc.

So don't feel bad. Plenty of users in forum and outside the forum are feeling alike. I'm sure those forum lurkers that never post anything are just giggling with how the people respond with Logos 7. So, yeah, confused is still an understatement.

Posts 93
Nicky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 8:46 AM

@alabama24: I'm not too fussed about getting lots of resources, I already have plenty and if something catches my eye that I think will be useful, I usually just purchase individually. I like the features because they enhance my study, so it makes sense for me to just buy the feature set and not worry too much about the resources.

If I decide to purchase the feature set, because of my Logos Now membership, I can do so at a substantial discount (in my case, $65 for the Logos 7 feature set)

Hi Timothy, I don't see this as a benefit? If you cancel your subscription (which you are already paying for) and then still have to purchase the feature set, aren't you still paying more than you would have if you had just bought the feature set outright? You would pay your subscription, plus the discounted price?

@Mike: Glad I'm not alone Cool

Posts 2965
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 9:26 AM

mike:

Its nearly impossible to buy Logos without checking the forum.. their pricing is ridiculously stupid. Not only that, the Logos Now pricing has made Logos price in overall a hot mess. That's not even counting how difficult it is to use Logos 7 for new beginners; how to use search, etc.

I never even knew about the forum until trying to get help with Misleading Logos 7 package product pages due to Feature Set unbundling for Logos Now members.

But it's my flesh that has been unhappy and needs to be crucified. I need to learn to forgive and forget, and abide in Him. The software will pass away, but Jesus will reign and rule forever.

What unexpected irony that purchasing bible study software would be a lesson in dying to self. God can bring something good out of confusion, amen?

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 9:39 AM

Nicky:
Hi Timothy, I don't see this as a benefit? If you cancel your subscription (which you are already paying for) and then still have to purchase the feature set, aren't you still paying more than you would have if you had just bought the feature set outright? You would pay your subscription, plus the discounted price?

Nicky, I'm committed to maintaining a Logos Now subscription indefinitely. So I don't ever have to purchase the full feature set of Logos 7. But if for some reason I was persuaded that I did want to own the full feature set, I would save enough on it ($65) to pay for all but $25 of my $90 Logos Now subscription. For me, as a Logos Now subscriber, that's a benefit. If you see no other benefit in Logos Now, then I would agree that being able to buy the full feature set at a discount is not a benefit.

Posts 910
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 8:21 PM

Timothy Brown:

Nicky:

Nicky, I'm committed to maintaining a Logos Now subscription indefinitely. So I don't ever have to purchase the full feature set of Logos 7. But if for some reason I was persuaded that I did want to own the full feature set, I would save enough on it ($65) to pay for all but $25 of my $90 Logos Now subscription. For me, as a Logos Now subscriber, that's a benefit. If you see no other benefit in Logos Now, then I would agree that being able to buy the full feature set at a discount is not a benefit.

Timothy, while I agree with you about the value of Logos Now and am probably going to take the same route as you, the price of owning feature/data sets will continue to increase as the number of non-owned upgrades increases. Not owning L7, then L8, and then L9 will make the dynamic pricing of L10 feature/data set ownership higher than for those who bought L7, L8, and L9. It will cost us about the same to subscribe to Now as it does for them to keep up with ownership of feature sets each upgrade cycle. Like you, because I intend to continue subscribing, ownership of feature sets is irrelevant to me.

But there is another benefit of subscribing to what you said, and that is being able to become acquainted with the new feature sets as they are released instead of having to process them all at once with the major upgrade. That is one thing I'm anticipating.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 28 2016 9:59 AM

Bill Moore:
But there is another benefit of subscribing to what you said, and that is being able to become acquainted with the new feature sets as they are released instead of having to process them all at once with the major upgrade. That is one thing I'm anticipating.

Yes, Bill, that is certainly another benefit. It has taken me a while to get on board with Logos Now, but I am convinced that for me the benefits certainly outweigh any downside. We should also remember that we will be getting the latest version of the free engine with L7, L8 and L9 (unless someday there no longer is a free engine). With each new version of Logos, at least some new features will be added with the free engine. So if for some reason we stop subscribing to Logos Now, we will not revert to Logos 6. We will have L7 or L8 or L9 with whatever features and improvements come with the free engine.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS