My roadmap for Logos 7 Now/Logos 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 23990
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 28 2016 4:46 PM

It's never too early to start dreaming.

This list is based on the assumption that the obvious developments on the Sermon Editor, Bible Browser, Concordance etc. will continue and that some of the long-standing bugs and irritants will float to the top of the priority pile ... so that is not included. This list also assumes that there will be a balance of features for the various user blocks - academics, pastors, faith formation, lay ... But this is what I think is important and currently missing/underavailable.

1. The ability to see a Bible reference in the translation intended by the author ... especially when they explicitly give it in the text. Currently we have to either rely on our preferred Bible, go through an onerous prioritization process or manually open the appropriate translation.
  2. A significant number of pre-defined collections so that users don't have to tag and create collections for things like 2nd Temple Judaism or Reformed Theology or 16th century Reformation documents
  3. The interactive section of the Guides being triggered by individual verse references from the interactives e.g. Commandments of the Law or Names of God. This would help users know when to utilize the interactives, get familiar with their content, think to search them ...
  4. Perhaps after adding the most recent edition of TSK, build an interface to cross-references that show the type of link between the passages so that one can be more selective in picking out the relevant ones.
  5. Add Outline as a label users can use and have a resource appear in the Outlines section ... many of best outlines in resources I use are not included
  6. Tables and Mind Maps are commonly used features not available in Logos. They need some support - direct or by import or even by embedded images
  7. Many resources use typographical coding and abbreviations that are not easily accessible to the user while using the resource. Please add a Legend feature.
  8. Create a view of interlinears where both target and source code are in natural order and lines between elements show the relationship.
  9. Build many more Biblical character timelines. They are invaluable for teachers and new Bible readers for showing the whole of a persons life.
  10. Make the geneaology charts more directly accessible through a faceted interactive. Where they used to be easily utilized they have become submerged in a see of media
  11. Make a special view for commentaries that have structures similar to (a) translation (b) notes (c) commentaries so that all parts may be read in parallel.
  12. Make translations that are embedded in translations able to be treated as Bible translations.
  13. Modify compare pericopes to handle lectionary pericopes.

Yes, there are others ... and I hope other users chime in ... but this would be a good start.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2239
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:08 AM

MJ. Smith:
2.  A significant number of pre-defined collections so that users don't have to tag and create collections for things like 2nd Temple Judaism or Reformed Theology or 16th century Reformation documents

Having spent 15 minutes tagging particular books I wanted to read, it would have saved a great deal of time to have had them pre-grouped by a particular subject.

I really like this suggestion, but would ask that pre-defined subject collections could be grouped, sorted, or filtered separately from series collections, so the burden is not on us to distinguish between those two main types of collections.

While it's already possible to group books by collection, or search by fields*, I think the library would also benefit from some sort of interactive library navigation, similar to the Courses Tool or Psalms Explorer.

*If it wasn't for MJ's post, I wouldn't discovered today that the library search box was as powerful as the other search boxes, and lets you search for multiple criteria! (Help->Library->Library Filter Fields has examples.) Thanks!

Posts 19397
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:12 AM

PetahChristian:
Help->Library->Library Filter Fields has examples

And here's a link to that entry

Posts 9133
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:06 AM

I only suggest 3:

1. On the '+' tab, put a resource find text box.  Minor fix.

2. Add group-by to search results display. Selectable Group-By as in the user's library.

3. EasyLogos. Bite the bullet ... Logos is painting itself into a religious-nerd world. Listen to JoshRI and Cynthia/Florida.

Posts 1772
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:54 AM

Nice list.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in a while is sentence diagrams. I'd love to see that overhauled so that going from text to a completed but not necessarily perfectly formatted diagram is as fast as possible. Starting out, even at the expense of all the various types of sentence diagrams that are out there. Right now it's just so tedious that I only talk myself into it when I know that I'm really going to need it.

Of course, given the fact that it hasn't been mentioned in a while, and when it is discussed there's not passion from a wide spectrum of users, perhaps it's a feature not worth supporting any longer. At least the expectations would be clear...

Donnie

Posts 23990
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:56 PM

Donnie - sentence diagrams are something I strongly want improved. But I have decided, knowing that the current feature is underutilized, to pressure Faithlife on that issue via TIP's of the day. In a few weeks it should be clear what I am up to - it also confronts the "Simple Logos" issue although not in the way JoshinRI envisions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 363
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 12:27 PM

Once I learn how to do this, I think that I would like to see it improved as well. 

It beats trying to diagram it in Word.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 19
Marco Foti | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 4:19 AM

What about overlappable views of different resources inside the same panel? Accordance has something like that, and I find it very useful (despite the fact I don't use Accordance often).

Posts 19397
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 4:38 AM

Marco Foti:
What about overlappable views of different resources inside the same panel?

Not sure of what you mean by this. Can you expand / clarify?

Do you mean something like the Multiple resources" capability?

Posts 1
AJ Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 12:11 PM

I would like to see more features for the ipad and/or large tablets. It would be nice if tablet computers can be utilized for more, that just a large smartphone. It does a great disservice to the Logos software.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS