Figurative Language Visual Filter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 91
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:03 AM

I have followed the directions on the Figurative Language visual filter video. I see Figurative Language in the visual filter drop-down menu in my resources, but I do not see my formatting when I am reading in my Bibles. What am I missing? I hope its not resources. I bought Gold.

Posts 91
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:20 AM

So upon further review, in some places I am seeing my formatting but in other places I am not. For example, Luke 6:23 "your reward" and "great in heaven" are marked but in Psalm 23 "my shepherd" is not marked.

Posts 91
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:23 AM

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 7.22.00 AM

Posts 91
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:25 AM

Posts 91
Donnie Vick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:26 AM

Posts 21633
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:37 AM

The Figurative Language dataset only currently supports the Gospels as per https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129240.aspx 

Posts 4
Josh Westbury | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:01 PM

Although the Figurative Language dataset currently only includes the gospels, we are working hard to complete the rest of the New Testament. Those books will be released as they are completed. 

Josh Westbury, PhD

Scholar-in-Residence, Faithlife Corp.

Posts 17
Danny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 1:08 PM

With all due respect, since it works so poorly in the Gospels, expanding it to the rest of Scripture is really pointless. For instance, just follow the Logos Pro video for making the filter and then take a look at Matthew 24. The results of what it is saying is figurative language is more often far off the mark than even close to it. And it gets even stranger when you look at Matthew 13. Having a figurative language function which requires you to know what is actually figurative so as to separate the true results from the false is not at all helpful.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 2:19 PM

Danny:
The results of what it is saying is figurative language is more often far off the mark than even close to it. And it gets even stranger when you look at Matthew 13.

Could you give some concrete examples of what you think is mis-coded? Which results in Matthew 13 do you consider false positives? Note that one often has to look at the underlying Greek to see that the language is figurative as the English may not be.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30
MVH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 15 2016 8:13 PM

Why don't you tell us this in the tutorial video? A footnote would be fine. I just spent an hour going through all the steps several times, trying to see figurative language in Paul.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS