Logos 7: A Big Disappointment

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 48
Daniel Edwards | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:15 AM

I have been a faithful Logos/ Faith Life customer and user for over 10 years now. I never thought one day I will be writing a bad review about Logos, but I feel frustrated and hardly forced to do so. I started my Logos library in 2006 with a L4 Gold package, then a few years later, I upgraded it from Gold to L5 Portfolio. In 2014, when L6 released, I found that, due to the new release of L6, my status was moved from Portfolio to NOTHING even though I already purchased over 3,500 books from them at that point of time. With all that pain, I decided to move forward and to re-purchase L6 Gold. Now, and as L7 released, my status has been moved again from Gold to NOTHING even though I now have over 4000 resources from them and have spent over $10,000 in their store. Yesterday, I called their customer support and their respond was that I have to pay again to get the Gold base package. Does this means that every time Logos releases a new upgrade we will be forced to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to keep our package status???? For me, this is a BIG disappointment.  

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:20 AM

Daniel Edwards:
Does this means that every time Logos releases a new upgrade we will be forced to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to keep our package status????

Not sure what you mean but you will have dynamic pricing for all that you own, both resources and features. So you don't lose anything (as long as you have the same acct., that is).

You only pay for what's new to you. And that is certainly an understandable/justifiable requirement

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 21638
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:27 AM

Daniel Edwards:
Does this means that every time Logos releases a new upgrade we will be forced to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to keep our package status

What do you mean by "package status"?

You still have all the resources you previously purchased - with Logos 7 there is an opportunity to add additional features and resources at discounted prices.

But if you don't need / want to then Logos 6 will continue to work fine. In February, the free Logos 7 engine is expected to be made available and you could upgrade to that at that time.

Posts 127
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:29 AM

When you purchase a Logos library, "you" don't actually get a status.  You get resources.  You still have all those same resources when Faithlife releases a new version of Logos.  You just have an opportunity to add to your current library at a significant discount.  Now, as Logos develops "features", which are different than books, you would need to purchase the additional features (or get them via Logos Now) in order to have all the features of the newest Logos release.  Faithlife will eventually release the Logos 7 engine as a free download, but the Feature Sets are not included in that, but must be purchased or obtained by Logos Now.

I hope that makes sense... :)

Posts 1520
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:32 AM

Daniel, I've think you've misunderstood what you call a "package status." That's just a name, and it changes from version to version. It means nothing. What matters is that you have books, and those books are yours to own. You are not forced to upgrade at each version. I, for example, am not upgrading anything. I am on Logos Now, so I have access to Logos 7 right now. But early next year, the Logos 7 core engine will be released free to all.

I've learned to ask myself, "Do I really need this or that feature? Do I really need that commentary set in that Logos 7 base package?" The answer is that I already have 10 times the books I used to have in print a decade ago, so I have learned to be content with the abundance that I already have. Look at what you got and rejoice. And if a new Logos 7 package has something you need for cheap, grab it and rejoice.

But ignore that label—Starter, Bronze, Silver, etc. Don't worry about keeping your "package status," it's just a name and doesn't give you any benefits except bragging rights.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:40 AM

Daniel Edwards:
Does this means that every time Logos releases a new upgrade we will be forced to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to keep our package status????

Please clarify. Personally have not yet upgraded to a Logos 7 Library, dreaming of => Suggestion: "Gem" superset of Base Packages

Now membership included software upgrade, which shows my Logos 6 Library status (largest one purchased)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10452
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:41 AM

Daniel Edwards:
Does this means that every time Logos releases a new upgrade we will be forced to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to keep our package status???? For me, this is a BIG disappointment.

The name of the base package may be the same, but the contents have changed. Rather than look that the "package status", look for the package that gives you the best value for what you need/want.

My own About Logos page gives my status as Logos 5 Diamond when I have purchased Platinum packages for both 6 & 7. To me, that is close to meaningless. What counts is that I purchased resources I wanted to own (I didn't really need any of them Wink)

Posts 924
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:50 AM

Daniel, I started out with Logos 3 Gold, eventually bought L4 and L5 Platinum, and then added L6 Diamond. They all had resources I wanted. I just bought L7 Gold yesterday, simply because it had three sets I wanted, and dynamic pricing made it a worthwhile purchase for me.

And I'm very pleased with L7 and the new features, especially multi-view. Oh, and updating from L6 to L7 was seamless.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 538
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:52 AM

I guess I didn't realize or look for the package name/status before. The package colors/names have changed somewhat from the beginning.  I do know that resources that you buy, you will always have, no matter the bundle or not that you upgrade to.  I do see how it can be confusing, though, if that Gold/Platinum, etc name has been a point of reference for the software.

hope it all goes well for you.

Posts 151
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:34 AM

I understand Daniel's angst completely because I thought the same thing in terms of 'status.'  In other words, I thought that there was some type of benefit to having purchased L5 Gold versus L5 Bronze rather than realizing that the benefit is just in the amount of resources contained in each package.  And so, when it came time to upgrade to L6 (again having L5 Gold), my mind irrationally felt like I had to buy L6 Gold to keep some unknown 'status.'  However, as many of you stated, there really is no such thing as 'status.'  Rather than thinking of it as status I now think of each level as containers and depending on your preference, you can choose the container of your choice.  As a side note, I'm proudly on L7 Bronze.  

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:39 AM

The thoroughly unimportant and, in fact, nearly meaningless words after "Licensed to" cause angry customers with some frequency, judging by how often I see thoroughly upset people starting threads about them on these forums. Sad

Posts 538
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:53 AM

Dennis Davis:

... As a side note, I'm proudly on L7 Bronze.  

The AWESOME, congratulations on making an informed and rational choice for your needs and wants! Yes

Posts 1231
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 12:27 PM

Jack Caviness:

Rather than look that the "package status", look for the package that gives you the best value for what you need/want.

I started using Libronix/Logos about ten years ago and the first few years I did not own a base package. But even without any base package "status" Logos was a great help to me in my Bible study and sermon preparation. As a side note, I'm proudly on L7 (Anglican) Bronze. 

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 12:46 PM

Dennis Davis:

I thought that there was some type of benefit to having purchased L5 Gold versus L5 Bronze rather than realizing that the benefit is just in the amount of resources contained in each package.

As you most likely know by now, in the L4,5, and 6 days, The benefit of going with Gold rather than Bronze, was that in addition to more resources, you would get the complete dataset package. In L7, that model has changed by separating the dataset/feature package from the resource package. I guess I should have just said L5 and L6. The package naming convention changed after L4.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS