Sermon Editor Export To PowerPoint

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 15
David Ashworth | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:14 PM

Since I'm locked in to PowerPoint at the moment, is there a way to export the generated slides to where they are not a background, but editable outside of the Logos generation?

I was very excited about this tool, but in all my messages, the PowerPoints it creates has the slides as a background and they can't be edited.  Is there a way around this?  I think this could be a great tool for pastors everywhere if it would do this to where we could customize generated slides to our style and brand.

Thanks for any help...

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 4:00 PM

David Ashworth:
Since I'm locked in to PowerPoint at the moment, is there a way to export the generated slides to where they are not a background, but editable outside of the Logos generation?

The short answer is no. Logos is exporting images (pictures) 

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

David Ashworth:

... is there a way to export the generated slides to where they are not a background, but editable outside of the Logos generation?

We agree that this would be useful and are looking into how to support it.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 1 2016 6:00 PM

Jacob Carpenter (Faithlife):

David Ashworth:

... is there a way to export the generated slides to where they are not a background, but editable outside of the Logos generation?

We agree that this would be useful and are looking into how to support it.

Yes

Posts 13
Brenden Bridges | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:01 AM

This makes the appeal of the sermon editor even less appealing.. I am starting to have buyers remorse😕

Posts 32490
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:26 PM

Better yet, Brenden, join others it helping Faithlife prioritize future updates by showing why this is an important function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13
Brenden Bridges | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 7:07 PM

👍 Good point.

Posts 92
Patrick Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:41 AM

MJ. Smith:

Better yet, Brenden, join others it helping Faithlife prioritize future updates by showing why this is an important function.

Having the ability to edit the slides in the PowerPoint software is important for several reasons (for me):
(1) In the slide (in the PowerPoint software) we can put the text to the left (or right) and insert a image to the right (or left) to illustrate this text.
(2) We can change the font, size, highlight the words that we want to emphasize.

Also: Having the verse numbers in the biblical text (we have not actually), this allows to report to people where we are in the text ...

Imagine if we had the same thing with export to Word: If we exported all the text in an image format, it really would not be practical (to have all the text on some pages in the Word, but we couldn't modify it - "Oh! Please, no that! Why?" Geeked)... it's a bit the same for PowerPoint, no?

Thank you for this wonderful tool! Yes

Posts 92
Patrick Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:49 AM

(3) An other reason: In my little church, here in Belgium, we have a little screen for the projector, and the contrast is not really good. To have the ability to put the text (and step up his size) in black with bold on white background, for example... It will be great for that everyone may read it...

Posts 5310
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 4:41 AM

Patrick Saint:

(3) An other reason: In my little church, here in Belgium, we have a little screen for the projector, and the contrast is not really good. To have the ability to put the text (and step up his size) in black with bold on white background, for example... It will be great for that everyone may read it...

Please forgive me Patrick if you already know this but the received wisdom is that light text on a dark background is an order of magnitude more readable on screen than black text on a white background. I think it is to do with too much reflected light!

If I recall correctly the most efficient combination is yellow text on black background and then light blue on black.

I alway spurn complicated (especially light complicated backgrounds) for this reason. I never use pictures for backgrounds to hymns since I heard two ladies leaving the service saying 'where was that picture he had behind the first hymn?'

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 92
Patrick Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 5:43 AM

Thank you, Mike. We have tested all the color combinations. I had always put the white text on a black background in my old PowerPoints (it was also more professional as presentation), but I must to reverse this colours in this church. I guess the ambient light (light from windows, ligths, pale walls) has an impact. After several tests (white on black, yellow on black, ...), the best is black text on white background... But it's probably specific to this room. So: No pictures behind the text either.

Thanks anyway for your ideas!

Posts 15
David Ashworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 6:58 AM

Would this be something to be considered in a service pack or update?  I think this one fix would improve the Sermon Editor leaps and bounds.  The handout guide is already really handy.  I hope this one is soon.  I'd like to use the PowerPoint tool, but really, it's unusable right now as is for me.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 8:09 AM

David Ashworth:
Would this be something to be considered in a service pack or update?

No one but FL can say for sure, but I would imagine something like this would come in a version update (i.e. 7.1, 7.2, etc.)

Posts 15
David Ashworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 9:14 AM

How do we help prioritize new features?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 11:49 AM

What do you mean?

Posts 32490
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 12:45 PM

David Ashworth:

By UserVoice votes (logos.uservoice.com)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

David Ashworth:

By UserVoice votes (logos.uservoice.com)

This does not really establish priorities for development of new features, as much as it provides FL with user feedback.

Posts 34
David Loo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2016 3:16 PM

Actually, Logos is not exporting PowerPoint slides as images, but as Slide Master slides instead. You can see this by loading the exported pptx file into PowerPoint. All the slides are there, but none are editable. However, if you go to PowerPoint menu and click View, then Slide Master, you'll see all you slides in the Slide Master View. And in Slide Master View, you can edit any of the slides.

This arrangement is actually far from ideal, and I find it almost unusable. It's certainly convenient to work in Logos and have the sermon outline exported to PowerPoint. But the use of Slide Master Slides makes editing so difficult that it cancels any convenience. Also, if you put in a long Bible passage, the passage is spread across several slides, and you have no control over where the split happens.

Another issue I have is with the use of Chinese characters. All my sermons and slides are in Chinese, but I can't seem to get Sermon Editor to accept Chinese input. In other areas of Logos (like the Command box, or in the Notes editor), Chinese input is fine, and works as expected. However, in Sermon Editor, I can't type Chinese in any part of the editor. Pasting in Chinese text is fine, but not typing directly.

I think there's still a lot of work in Sermon Editor before it can be useful.

Posts 34
David Loo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2016 3:24 PM

I agree with yellow text on black background. This is the colour I use on all my slides. I haven't tried light blue text on black yet; I'll give that a try soon.

As for background images for hymns, I also agree. We never put any background pictures or other art work, just a plain solid-blue background. I want people to concentrate on the lyrics, not the pictures.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Thanks for all the feedback.

David Loo:
... I can't seem to get Sermon Editor to accept Chinese input.

This has been reported elsewhere on these forums. We have implemented a fix for this issue, and it should be going out with 7.1 beta 3 (due to release next Monday).

David Loo:
Actually, Logos is not exporting PowerPoint slides as images, ...

Based on user feedback, we've also made some significant changes to our PowerPoint export for 7.1 beta 3. I look forward to hearing whether or not these changes are an improvement over the current model.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS