Advanced Search Training videos are on the way...

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 72 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2016 7:19 AM

No, Syntax Searches are not part of the training. They would require a couple of hours only about them to do them justice, and frankly I've found they are rarely needed nowadays. Almost all of the most typical syntax related searches can already be done using dataset searching, and it seems that every few releases a new dataset appears that allows a standard search for yet another scenario where one might need to delve into a syntax search. 

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 6:11 AM

Have enjoyed the videos greatly so far.  What is the difference between the old INTERSECT and the new INTERSECTS?

Posts 293
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 7:47 AM

would it be possible to get a PDF document showing the different search strings? 

Posts 945
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 9:57 AM

Mike,

It's not a PDF file, but does this help?

https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 11:44 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
So far, Faithlife has decided to not include scripts for training videos. Hopefully we can work something out, but for the moment it's not clear that's going to happen. 

A complementary Logos resource that has searches shown in Advanced Search Training plus links to open search in Logos and Verbum would be awesome. Script explaining the search would be appreciated.

My Favorites has a Search Examples folder with many saved searches, which are useful for a starting point when looking for something similar. My Search Examples are an advanced set of Search CookBook. Hence, an advanced search resource with clickable search links would be awesome.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 11:52 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

My Favorites has a Search Examples folder with many saved searches, which are useful for a starting point when looking for something similar. My Search Examples are an advanced set of Search CookBook.

I think it would be great to have a readable resource of examples!

Can search example links be shared as a part of a personal book, if FL won't offer such a resource?

Posts 26494
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 12:57 PM

1. Get a person to volunteer to copy the examples from one chapter.

2. Get someone to collate the examples and create the links.

3. Release as a .docx file for creating personal books.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 2:08 PM

PetahChristian:
Can search example links be shared as a part of a personal book, if FL won't offer such a resource?

Yes, alternative idea is a Faithlife group that can discuss Advanced Sharing plus Notes (with search tips) and Visual Filters.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 2:51 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
A complementary Logos resource that has searches shown in Advanced Search Training plus links to open search in Logos and Verbum would be awesome.

It sure would be awesome! Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 282
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 6:14 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Almost all of the most typical syntax related searches can already be done using dataset searching, and it seems that every few releases a new dataset appears that allows a standard search for yet another scenario where one might need to delve into a syntax search. 

Are these dataset searches covered in your videos?

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 6:27 PM

Michel Pauw:
Are these dataset searches covered in your videos?

Yes. See below for a specific list of the videos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 293
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 6:30 PM

I just joined the new faithlife advanced searching group set up our own  forum  member smiling 4 Jesus and I posted three of the search strings discussed in the video series. 

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 7:07 PM

Mike McKnelly:

I just joined the new faithlife advanced searching group set up our own  forum  member smiling 4 Jesus and I posted three of the search strings discussed in the video series. 

Thanks for the heads up. I just joined too.

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS