Britannica Tomorrow: Why Buy? And Why Not? The $200 Question.

Page 3 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 1:47 PM

Dan Francis:

Paul Strickert:

I was under the impression that EB imposed the article limits. 

The did and refused FL to include some articles key to religious studies ie. Martin Luther and C.S. Lewis

-Dan

Good old EB, they have included John Calvin!

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 1:52 PM

Sorry Paul for almost duplicating your info, thank you for delivering the information more fully. Steve as for partner sections, Faithlife is not a partner per say as I understand it. For $50 you can purchase a complete britannica DVDROM with all articles on it. This is because it is an official joint venture verses a simple licensing of articles which is what Faithlife has done. Hopefully one day Britannica would consider an actual partnership with FL to give us the full thing, although it is really quite amazing we are allowed to get what we did since the name feels tarnished in that going to it you find no article on over 2100 articles. thankfully they do get covered somewhat in Compton's or what is usually referred to now as Britannica for Kids. Apologies for sounding so down on this product it just is less than what i had hoped for...

-Dan

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 2:56 PM

Dan Francis:

thankfully they do get covered somewhat in Compton's or what is usually referred to now as Britannica for Kids.

Ouch!  ;)

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 3:18 PM

After all this, I am sticking with my local library's free online encyclopedia.  Win-win.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 5:54 PM

Maybe we can revive interest in the complete 1911 Brittanica now that the Noet one is released.

https://www.logos.com/product/33266/encyclopedia-britannica

I would love to get this down to $40.  Anyone else interested? 

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 6:09 PM

For $40, yes.  

Posts 6327
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 6:13 PM

Paul Strickert:

Dan Francis:

thankfully they do get covered somewhat in Compton's or what is usually referred to now as Britannica for Kids.

Ouch!  ;)

He's right, though! Another reason why this half hearted project is a complete failure no matter how optimistic some want to be or hope to be about it  hehehe 

Hear it from the Britannica creators themselves:

"Compton’s by Britannicaformerly (1922–68) Compton’s Pictured Encyclopedia and (1968–2002) Compton’s Encyclopedia and Fact-Index, a general reference work for home, school, and library, designed primarily for children and young people in the upper elementary grades and high school and for family use."

Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Comptons-by-Britannica 

DAL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 7:23 PM

Michael Sullivan:

Maybe we can revive interest in the complete 1911 Brittanica now that the Noet one is released.

The 1911 edition of Britannica is a more scholarly edition than the current full edition of Britannica. It is worth much more than $40. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6327
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2016 7:42 PM

I just put my bid for the older version to see how many decades go by before it gets out of CP and then to see how many years pass by before it makes it out of prepub. I wonder how old I'll be by then? 😜

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 5:43 AM

DAL:

I just put my bid for the older version to see how many decades go by before it gets out of CP and then to see how many years pass by before it makes it out of prepub. I wonder how old I'll be by then? 😜

I've had my bid in for this since it was first offered. It could be a while...if ever.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 939
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 11:07 AM

Michael Sullivan:

Excellent suggestion!  ... at twice your proposed dollar value!!!  I'm interested!

Smile

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2016 12:41 PM

DAL:

Paul Strickert:

Dan Francis:

Ouch!  ;)

He's right, though! Another reason why this half hearted project is a complete failure no matter how optimistic some want to be or hope to be about it  hehehe 

Hear it from the Britannica creators themselves:

"Compton’s by Britannicaformerly (1922–68) Compton’s Pictured Encyclopedia and (1968–2002) Compton’s Encyclopedia and Fact-Index, a general reference work for home, school, and library, designed primarily for children and young people in the upper elementary grades and high school and for family use."

Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Comptons-by-Britannica 

DAL

We should at least be fair to their syntactical choices. Wink

Compton’s by Britannica, formerly (1922–68) Compton’s Pictured Encyclopedia and (1968–2002) Compton’s Encyclopedia and Fact-Index, a general reference work for home, school, and library, designed primarily

• for children and young people in the upper elementary grades and high school
  • and for family use.

Maybe Faithlife and Encyclopedia Britannica will team up to do The Discourse Compton's by Britannica—before then moving on to outline and mark up the entire Micro- and Macro-pedia (perhaps with Propositional Outlines!). Big Smile

Posts 3
TJ Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:59 PM

I went to EB website and pulled this

"

"

This is what I'm expecting here. The text of the full 32 vol set. Not a subset. The DVD is less than $30 today.

I really want the features inside Logos to search while doing work but this hamstrings everything. Should I buy the DVD for articles NOT included? That's nuts. I would gladly pay a $100 more straight to EB just to have it in my Logos "ecosystem".

Posts 6327
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 6:00 AM

I still kept my bid for the old Brit, but meanwhile I'll be using the app on my iPhone:

Page 3 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS