Sermon Editor

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9
Pastor Gary | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:30 PM

From the comments, it sounds like much needs to be done with this utility.  For someone who has not use for using Proclaim, why would you choose this over the word processor + Book build?

Posts 1051
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:49 AM

I guess it cuts out the middle man!

For my own purposes, I really like the thought that I could do pretty much all my work within Logos (even without Proclaim)...

• Study the passage, write the sermon
  • Slides automatically created, editable and exportable 
  • Handouts and questions also created if needed
  • And, quite soon, have the sermon automatically synced to a mobile device to preach from. 

But I agree there is a lot of work to be done before I can fully make the switch from using Word.

Posts 25985
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:51 AM

Richard Wardman:
And, quite soon, have the sermon automatically synced to a mobile device to preach from. 

I did this (using the beta iOS app) on Sunday evening and it worked really wellSmile

Posts 1051
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 2:25 AM

Graham Criddle:

Richard Wardman:
And, quite soon, have the sermon automatically synced to a mobile device to preach from. 

I did this (using the beta iOS app) on Sunday evening and it worked really wellSmile

Great to hear! I've seen it in action on Android beta, but only on a small phone screen. I'm really hoping for the possibility of swiping pages, as well as scrolling. I think I would get lost in my notes too quickly! 

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 7:33 AM

Richard Wardman:
I'm really hoping for the possibility of swiping pages
Yes, I definitely have to swipe the page if I am using my iPad for preaching.  Scrolling alone won't work.  :) 

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 1801
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 7:57 AM

As a FL employee I'm not exactly neutral but as someone who also preaches regularly this is one of my favorite features introduced between L4 and L7. And thats as someone who preaches at places that do not use Proclaim. Sad

As it was mentioned above. It cuts out the middle man.

I found transition the sermon to paper effortless.

I really appreciated how easy it is to format my sermon.

I loved the automatic creation of Bible passages that I'll be reading. No more copying and pasting!

I'm even toying with going back and putting all my old sermons in Logos as sermon documents. I'm really interested in having all the handy labels and tags to make it easier to go back and re-visit old sermons.

But I'm just a FL employee, so take it as you will.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 8:03 AM

Graham Criddle:

Richard Wardman:

I did as well. I agree with others that have pages that can be swiped rather than scrolled would be a nice option. But for now I am thankful to have them on my ipad.

Posts 1429
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 8:37 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

As a FL employee I'm not exactly neutral but as someone who also preaches regularly this is one of my favorite features introduced between L4 and L7. And thats as someone who preaches at places that do not use Proclaim. Sad

As it was mentioned above. It cuts out the middle man.

I found transition the sermon to paper effortless.

I really appreciated how easy it is to format my sermon.

I loved the automatic creation of Bible passages that I'll be reading. No more copying and pasting!

I'm even toying with going back and putting all my old sermons in Logos as sermon documents. I'm really interested in having all the handy labels and tags to make it easier to go back and re-visit old sermons.

But I'm just a FL employee, so take it as you will.

Is there an ETA for the ability to use on the iPad? 

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 9:58 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

FL may have something internally, but they do not usually share specific timetables.

Posts 9200
LogosEmployee

Mike Tourangeau:

Are you asking about reading sermon editor documents (e.g., for preaching from an iPad) or editing sermon documents (i.e., creating on an iPad)?

The former is in beta testing right now; we don't have an ETA for the latter.

Posts 1429
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:46 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Mike Tourangeau:

Are you asking about reading sermon editor documents (e.g., for preaching from an iPad) or editing sermon documents (i.e., creating on an iPad)?

The former is in beta testing right now; we don't have an ETA for the latter.

Just reading..... I'm looking fwd to that. 

Posts 26
John Grub | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 5:45 PM

I agree this needs much work.

No word processor....

No control on  slides or content in the slides...

No graphic editing....

Over rated, under performs, released before ccmplete, takes longer to prep a sermon..

I was told when I upgraded that this was a complete system and could be used live. 

I can create a sermon or presentation faster in PPT, are you serious, Not worth it.

Posts 49
Kason | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:35 PM

I have found it very beneficial and helpful for making handouts, and powerpoint presentations.

I always export either to WORD or Powerpoint and then make adjustments, but it is a great starting point, and I believe the future updates will be great.

Posts 17
Joe Dillabaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 3:33 AM

To be honest the entire app (iOS) should be overhauled. I love Logos' capabilities but have found their iPad/iphone apps to be useless and I preach exclusively with my iPad. I haven't noticed a significant improvement on them in years either.  There are other apps that are way better for study/presentation. When I attempt to use them I just end up frustrated and 

I love the potential for the sermon editor, my tech team really appreciates it as well. I used to write the sermon, then produce slides,notes, etc. everything is done at once which is awesome & easy!

I've gotta say though, the spellcheck & exporting issues should have been thought out long before it was released. It's not cool to have misspelled words on my slides that aren't editable on the fly, and the exporting to a word processor then to a pdf is a pain.

This was an expensive upgrade and should have included these in the new feature. I'm not a fan of the "its on the way but we're not telling you when" response to the complaints about it either. Logos is great at saving pastors time in sermon prep and this feature could really do that but now I find that the time I saved in sermon prep (using the sermon editor) is used up be exporting the document to pages so I can spell check and then back into sermon editor and reediting and then exporting to another document which can be turned into a pdf so I can preach. 

I'd love to see the requested improvements asap because it could be really helpful and awesome!

Posts 25985
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:07 AM

Just to note that sermon spellcheck is currently in beta and seems to work well.

It should ship within a few weeks - I don't know exactly when Logos 7.1 is scheduled

Posts 1051
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 6:29 AM

I preached from the iPad Logos app (beta) this morning, and have to say it worked really well for me. I thought I'd be thrown by having a different format and layout that I was used to, but I really wasn't and I didn't even mind having to scroll that much (although I'd still prefer to swipe!). 

I'm hoping that our church might make the switch to Proclaim soon, which would make this even more effective for producing slides. 

All-in-all, I think this is a great feature, and I'm excited to see how it develops.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS