Sermon editor as a lesson editor - results of testing

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Posts 31891
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:29 PM

In using the sermon editor as a means of creating lessons rather than sermons, I've found the following to be the major drawbacks.

• the metadata for liturgical date etc. which I know is coming but am impatient for
  • the ability to add footnotes (this is a biggie for me although I'm using a funky workaround)
  • the ability to import personal images
  • the ability to distinguish sermons/lectures/lessons (not critical but nice for clarity and retrieval)
  • the ability (unless I've just not found it) to switch off the automatic slides and only create slides on demand

In short, I think most of the things required for Lessons are things already asked for in sermons. It would take very little repackaging to advertise it also as a tool for Sunday School/Faith Formation teachers.

Nice job.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 852
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 6 2017 7:59 AM

I see some of MJ's suggestions are becoming a reality (thank you Faithlife) and I agree that this tool can work for lessons as well as sermons (which I am doing now).

I want to raise my hand for lesson-oriented functions since I am probably not the only person using Logos who teaches more than preaches.

Two other features that would be helpful (that could be used for both sermons and lessons):

• Be able to manually embed hyperlinks to internal (logos resources and tools) and external (websites and files) resources.  Sometimes while teaching (using my laptop) a link would be handy so I don't have to manually navigate to something, or as a reference to my sources, that I don't want or can't have quoted in my text or slides.
  • Have default values for sending sermons/lessons to SoundFaith.  Two defaults would be helpful:
    • Should new sermons/lessons be automatically sent to SoundFaith? ("Yes" = a suggested date can be calculated as it is now and the sermon/lesson automatically sent accordingly.  "No" = the sermon will not be sent automatically.) 
    • Should sermons/lessons sent to SoundFaith be sent as Draft or Publish? (Any sermon sent (automatically or manually) should be sent with the status indicated by the default value - Draft or Publish.)
    • The sermon/lesson file would inherit the default values when the sermon/lesson file is first created. 
    • The default selections should be reflected in the sermon/lesson file (like the checkbox that is currently there) which the user can override at will until the sermon/lesson is sent (automatically or manually) to SoundFaith)

Thank you, Faithlife, for this great Logos tool.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS