What does your library say about you?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1688
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2016 9:14 PM

Open your Library in Details view, and show the Most Used column. Click the Most Used heading, and Logos will show the resources you've been using most over the last few years. What do you see? Any surprises?

I was interested to see that my top monographs (after bibles, lexicons, and encyclopedias) were The Dead Sea Scrolls, Josephus, and the Pseudepigrapha. That's exactly what I've been studying in my attempt to acquire the worldview of 2nd temple Judaism, so I can re-read the Scriptures from their perspective. I found that encouraging.

So what does the way you use your library say about you?

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:37 AM

After Bibles, lexicons and encyclopedias, my top hits were primarily books on OT and NT Surveys.  I taught OT Survey for two years and NT Survey for one year and so that's what is still at the top.  I haven't taught either for over almost two years now so it's interesting that they are still at the top.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 6:18 AM

For some, I think it has much to do with your layouts, and then how Logos 'fits' into your Bible study. Basically my top 200 are just loading in layouts. After that, it's random volumes, depending on the 'question'. Logos is my #3 or #4 used Bible program, so it's a research assistant.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 7:04 AM

Denise:
For some, I think it has much to do with your layouts, and then how Logos 'fits' into your Bible study. Basically my top 200 are just loading in layouts.

For sure this is the case with me as well. I have certain layouts that I use more often that include some resources that I don't reference that often but they are still classified highly in my "Most Used". So this feature is really not very helpful for me. I think it would be much better if it was calculated based on the time a particular resource was active and not by resources open in layouts.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8060
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 8:57 AM

Mine says I'm an "end of days" guy,  since I did a recent study on eschatology.

DAL

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:35 PM

Mine says that I spend too much on books!

Actually, Bibles and BDAG and HALOT are among the highest used, as one would expect.

Then there were commentaries on books of the Bible that I have been teaching lately - ICC, and NICOT/NT.  I was surprised that the I had used the ICC so much.

Lots of volumes of Church Fathers.

A surprise at the number of times I used the Preaching the Word Commentary.  I usually look at it after more technical commentaries

A set of personal books was very high in number of uses - G. Campbell Morgan's Westminister Pulpit. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8060
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:55 PM

Michael Childs:

Mine says that I spend too much on books!

Here's another one:

Mine says, "Oh look, here's another book you're not really using and probably will never use." 😁

Posts 5710
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 3:13 PM

Denise:

For some, I think it has much to do with your layouts, and then how Logos 'fits' into your Bible study. Basically my top 200 are just loading in layouts. After that, it's random volumes, depending on the 'question'. Logos is my #3 or #4 used Bible program, so it's a research assistant.

I think this does have a big part to play in it, "most used" feels like is closer to "most opened" but I might be wrong on that.

For me its ESV bible followed by Lexham Bible, Lexham Bible Dictionary and then a bunch of mobile Ed courses I've been working through this year, I often come back to them for a second pass at least.  Lexham Bible Dictionary is used a lot for supplementary readings across these courses so it make sense it would come up as my highest used 'encyclopedia'.  The monographs and lexicons showing up would also relate to readings from these courses.

So my library is saying I've been using Logos to do a fair bit of directed study this year which would be reflective of my purchases outside of the Logos 7 libraries.  I expect this to be the dominant usage of Logos for me moving forward for the foreseeable future but out of that directed learning I'm developing some interests in topics I might want to study independently so in 12 months times, the courses that are currently dominating may change and there might be a few more monographs show up.

Posts 2325
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 4:36 PM

Looks like the French Bible and the Scripture Alphabet of Animals are not high on my list.  Pretty accurate.  But that Animal book actually looks pretty interesting.  I'm going back for a better look. 

Posts 1104
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:10 PM

It says that the books I routinely use are a remarkably small subset of my library.

Posts 1688
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 5:11 PM

DAL:
Mine says, "Oh look, here's another book you're not really using and probably will never use." 😁

Yes: there are quite a few of those too.

But that information is good to know to guide future purchases.

Posts 2216
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 5:24 AM

It says that I have more money than sense!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1474
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 6:14 AM

It says that I am very grateful for the Personal Book Builder and that I will be very happy when I am able to use my preferred Bible and my Dutch psalters & hymnals on my smartphone.

It also says that I almost never use the Timeline feature and that I should probably stop buying every single Vyrso freebie.

Posts 25
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 8:10 AM

Allen Browne:
show the Most Used column

I didn't know that was an option. Thanks, that was insightful!

Posts 156
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:03 AM

For as many years as I have been using Logos, I have no idea how to even open the "details view" for my "library."

What I did find under something or other is that I have completed reading 13 books; I am reading about 595 books;  that leaves 9076 books utterly unopened.

But that really does not accurately reflect how much I have actually read.  It says I have "read" about 9% of my own book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge.  Actually, I've typed it through at least 3 times, and have read and proofread it through more often than that--but not in Logos.

It says I have "read" 8% of volume one of The Theocratic Kingdom. In the real world, I've read it all the way through at least three times, including to my family out loud.

The results did show that I have been studying the Atonement extensively, as well as Bible prophecy.  Two of the "finished reading" books are commentaries on the book of Revelation.

Looks like I'll never live long enough to read even all of the 596 volumes it shows I've done some reading in.

But I'm still hoping that more people will bid on the CP offer of about 42 volumes of classic works on baptism for $80 sitting undisturbed on about page 3 in CP under "progress." I do want to read and study those!

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:12 AM

Jerome Smith:

But I'm still hoping that more people will bid on the CP offer of about 42 volumes of classic works on baptism for $80 sitting undisturbed on about page 3 in CP under "progress." I do want to read and study those!

https://www.logos.com/product/33657/classic-studies-on-baptism 

Posts 1688
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 6:59 PM

Jerome Smith:
It says I have "read" 8% of volume one of The Theocratic Kingdom. In the real world, I've read it all the way through at least three times

I'm not sure of the timeframe this statistic covers, Jerome.
Certainly things that I read a decade ago don't show up as read.

Posts 2787
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 9:09 PM

Robert Harner:

Jerome Smith:

https://www.logos.com/product/33657/classic-studies-on-baptism 

It looks interesting, however, the distinct lack of Stone-Campbell based resources doesn't make it interesting enough for me to fork out $80... Bid placed at $32!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 156
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 8:47 AM

Jan, I agree that the Stone-Campbell debates are most important.  Some years ago I bought hardbound volumes, all that were in print or available at the time, of similar resources connected with Campbell, such as the Campbell-Rice debate.  My print library is somewhat larger than my Logos library.  Hopefully there will be more interest in this area of theology, Bible study, American religious history. Thank you and everyone else for all the help I receive here.

Posts 156
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 8:58 AM

Allen, I actually have two different editions of Peters' work, The Theocratic Kingdom, in Logos. One edition is in three volumes like the print volumes, with the extensive indexes at the end of the third volume.  The other edition is all in one "volume," like having three volumes in one.  For doing a search, the three-in-one edition is handy.  For reading and study, the three separate volumes work best for me.  Most of my reading of the Theocratic Kingdom I have done from my print editions.  But now that I have Logos 7 on what I call my "baby computer," a Surface Pro 4 that I use to actually read my Logos resources from, I am starting to read such resources using that.

Thank you for posing such an interesting question about how we are using Logos.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS