Upgrading to Logos 7 as economically as possible

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 58
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 25 2016 1:53 PM

I want Logos 7 but do not want to invest in more books now. Can I choose a very inexpensive package, such as the Starter or Bronze and still gain the full Logos 7 software? 

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:11 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

I want Logos 7 but do not want to invest in more books now. Can I choose a very inexpensive package, such as the Starter or Bronze and still gain the full Logos 7 software? 

You don't need to buy any books. You have two options:

1. Purchase the Full Feature Set. You'll get (nearly) all the features of Logos 7 - just as you would if you bought a package.
  2. Subscribe to Logos Now. This will cost you $100/yr ($90 currently), and give you everything in the full feature set, and a few extra things. You'll also get new features over the next year, as they're released.

Despite the name, the Full Feature Set doesn't include every feature, because some of those features require connection to Logos' servers, and only Logos Now members get that. You can see the differences between the FFS and Logos Now here: https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets (in that comparison, Logos Now is known as the Logos Cloud Feature Set.

Posts 1049
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:15 PM

Hi Shmuel,

You have two options. You can own the Logos 7 feature set, or you can rent it through Logos Now. Buying the feature will probably be more expensive, but then it's yours. Logos Now can be more economical now, but if you don't renew next year, then you lose the features. Neither require you to purchase more books for your library.

Buy Logos 7 FFS: https://www.logos.com/product/120029/logos-7-full-feature-set

Rent vis Logos Now: https://www.logos.com/now

If you're only interested in the "software engine" and none of the features sets that come with Logos 7, then you only need to run Logos 6, because the underlying engine is the same.

Posts 10051
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:23 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

That's a good question, but the answer is somewhat complex. The Logos 7.0 software is the same as the Logos 6.14 software. So in a sense, you are using Logos 7 software right now - and in some months time there will be a free Logos 7 engine that displays the Logos 7 splash screen and may even contain some additional functionality over Logos 6. However, when you are speaking of the "full" software I assume you are speaking of the Logos 7 features.

With the introduction of Logos 7, faithlife has split base packages into a feature set and a library package. There are two feature sets: Starter Feature Set with limited content limited (available on its own or bundled with the Starter Packages) and Full Feature Set (available on its own or bundled with Bronze and above packages). You may think of them as comparable to the L5/L6 Crossgrades. Since you can buy them independent of a library package, this may be cheaper than even going for one of the Bronze packages (where you will get dozens or hundreds of additional books). 

The most inexpensive way to get the full Logos 7 feature set (even including membership-only features such as Bible Browser) is to join the Logos Now subscription-based membership.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 9:14 PM

so is this an accurate statement?  That means that if you don't want additional resources then there is no reason to upgrade at all.  I have yet to figure out what would get me to spend some $.  I naturally assumed the engine was somehow different, better?

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 9:45 PM

If you want to own the Full Feature Set, it might be more inexpensive to purchase it together with a cheap library starter set. Sounds paradox, but when you combine the two purchases, you get steeper discount.

So, first step, find the cheapest library starter set. Which one that is, depends on your existing library. Place it into your basket.

Then, add the Full Feature Set, and look at your discount.

(Logos Now subscription is even more inexpensive, but only in the short term, for about three years or so.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 3:52 AM

Dale Garman:
That means that if you don't want additional resources then there is no reason to upgrade at all

For clarification: If you don't want new RESOURCES nor do you want new FEATURES, there is no reason to update... but why the desire to update? 

Dale Garman:
I naturally assumed the engine was somehow different, better?

The engine always continues to evolve. The L7 engine is a development of the L6 one. Currently there isn't much difference between the two. Differences between late L6.x builds and early L7.x builds will be more closely aligned than early/late L6 or L7 would be to one another. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 6:36 AM

alabama24:
The engine always continues to evolve. The L7 engine is a development of the L6 one. Currently there isn't much difference between the two.

However, one would want to get the free core engine upgrade when it comes out because there should not be continued development of the Logos 6 platform (i.e., 6.15, 6.16, etc). In order to continue to get updates to the engine as they come out, one would need to have the 7 core engine. I think it is supposed to become available around January-February. So one should want to at least upgrade in that way.

Posts 27685
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 6:44 AM

Francis:
However, one would want to get the free core engine upgrade when it comes out

Correct... And as always, the L7 engine WILL be free (February)... after FL has given those paying for upgrades (Library, Feature Set, or Logos Now) first dibs. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 3:26 PM

Mark Barnes:

You don't need to buy any books. You have two options:

1. Purchase the Full Feature Set. You'll get (nearly) all the features of Logos 7 - just as you would if you bought a package.
  2. Subscribe to Logos Now. This will cost you $100/yr ($90 currently), and give you everything in the full feature set, and a few extra things. You'll also get new features over the next year, as they're released.

Despite the name, the Full Feature Set doesn't include every feature, because some of those features require connection to Logos' servers, and only Logos Now members get that. You can see the differences between the FFS and Logos Now here: https://www.logos.com/compare/feature-sets (in that comparison, Logos Now is known as the Logos Cloud Feature Set.

You actually have three options. The two listed above, plus the Starter Feature Set, which gets you quite a few of the L7 features. That's the one I went for in the end, as it was only £15 and it got me most of what I was after.

https://www.logos.com/product/121388/logos-7-starter-feature-set 

Unfortunately the Full Feature Set price is bulked out with a lot of library content and so it's more expensive than it needed to be had it just been a feature\dataset upgrade, but I've exhausted this discussion on other threads and won't revisit it here.

Posts 2061
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 6:30 PM

Jan Krohn:

If you want to own the Full Feature Set, it might be more inexpensive to purchase it together with a cheap library starter set. Sounds paradox, but when you combine the two purchases, you get steeper discount.

So, first step, find the cheapest library starter set. Which one that is, depends on your existing library. Place it into your basket.

Then, add the Full Feature Set, and look at your discount.

(Logos Now subscription is even more inexpensive, but only in the short term, for about three years or so.)

Let me add emphasis to this post which I think answers your question well.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS