Is a "master" link panel possible?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Roger Duke | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 26 2016 9:43 AM

I would like to setup logos so that all my panels would follow my Passage Guide panel, but not vice versa.

Right now I'm doing in depth study on individual verses (or passages) and the Passage Guide is great for showing me all my relevant resources. Really great feature!!

So, I'll have all my resources in the same Link Set, but if I scroll up or down in a commentary this can cause all the other resources, including the Passage Guide panel, to scroll.  It would work best for me if all other resources updated only when the verse in the Passage Guide was changed.

Any suggestions?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:09 AM

Not really, but there's always a workaround in Logos.

First, it requires Logos7's MultiView feature. Do you have it? A button on most resources.

1. Of course, open your passage guide.

2. Open NOT your favorite Bible; you won't be using it except to add followers.

3. For the Bible panel in step 2, click on the MultiView button.

4. Add your favorite 'follow' resources ... another Bible to use, commentaries, etc

5. Link the Passage guide to the Bible in step 2.

This only works, if you don't touch the Bible in step 2 ... it's simply linking to your Passage Guide as your master.

If you want a Bible to follow, just add it to the step 2 Bible.

Notes:

1. In step 2, don't use your favorite Bible, since your favorite Bible in step 4 must 'follow' (your desire). This will be obvious if in step 2 you open a Bible, and in step 4, you add the same Bible ... it won't let you.

2. You can also create a hot-button on your layout for your Multiview panel (drag the tab up to the top). <edited>.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9
Roger Duke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 11:24 PM

Denise,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I did not know this was possible.

However, I couldn't get this to work like I would like.  I have 22 resource "tabs" (mostly commentaries) which I view in 4 windows.  This way each window has enough text that I can read a good chunk of the commentary.  When I try the MultiView feature it ends up making the viewable area for each resource very narrow such that only one word appears on each line.

Anyone got an idea?

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 3:31 AM

Roger Duke:
 I have 22 resource "tabs" (mostly commentaries) which I view in 4 windows

Then you will need to set up more than one Multiview window. Use floating windows and different Bible versions for each set and then link them together.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 5:09 AM
Adding to Jack, the multiple uses of Multiview can be a bear (vs tabs), but the independent movement of each column is nice. If you're wondering why no master sync, users have requested this, I guess for 7 years ... multiview was the answer. It has its benefits, even though not the flexibility of a sync master.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9
Roger Duke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 11:26 AM

Thanks Jack, I will play with it some more to see if I can get comfortable with it. The thing with Logos is that you have SO many resources and I want to take full advantage of that.

Posts 9
Roger Duke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 11:38 AM

Denise, thank you again.  I will keep playing around with it. Am I doing something wrong?  To me the MultiView only works if you're working with a small number of resources.  I have 2 monitors set up with 22 resources so then each monitor would have to be split into 11 areas - making the area for each resource quite small.  In my case they were vertical areas only about 1 word per line (default font size).  I appreciate your help, I should probably contact tech support and add one more voice for master sync.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 11:54 AM

Roger Duke:
To me the MultiView only works if you're working with a small number of resources.

That is an unfortunate limitation of Multiview; you can only have the resources in a single horizontal window. It would be nice it resources could be stacked in two horizontal rows. I use a 27" iMac with a 23" secondary display. A limitation of the current Mac Os is that you cannot have a single window stretch across two displays. My Study Bible window had six resources. Then, I have 6 concise commentaries in a window with a different Bible version. 

Guess we did not need a screenshot as the forum would not accept one with either Safari or Chrome.

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2016 12:50 PM

Denise:
Adding to Jack, the multiple uses of Multiview can be a bear (vs tabs), but the independent movement of each column is nice. If you're wondering why no master sync, users have requested this, I guess for 7 years ... multiview was the answer. It has its benefits, even though not the flexibility of a sync master.

Yep. Multiview is cool but ultimately too limited to be very helpful to me.

Just look at the layouts Logos opens from the Home page: A primary pane/resource with panes of other resources open in tabs. This is how Logos encourages us to work. A master resource would really help this sort of layout. But multiview doesn't really improve things at all.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS