Question about storage space

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 58
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:34 AM

I am thinking about returning a mobile ed course and some other books.  When I return them will the books be removed from my hard drive or do I just lose the license, but they stay on my hard drive? I typically don't think about this, but these particular books/courses are rather large. Thoughts?

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:45 AM

They stay on your hard drive, but are now locked. You would have to delete them if you want to free up the space.

There's an article on the wiki which explains the delete unlicensed resources and delete locked resources commands. Also see the note that their respective index information is not removed unless you also rebuild the index (which is time-consuming).

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:45 AM

You can run the "Delete Unlicensed Resources" tool in the command box to delete them.

Posts 58
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:50 AM

Excellent resources and tips. Thanks, I didn't know about these. 

Posts 22
Phil Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 1 2016 9:56 AM

Sometime back, I took it a step further, and after typing "Delete Unlicensed Resources" in the command box, I then clicked once on it, dragged it to my shortcut toolbar and renamed it DEL.   Now at the beginning of every month, I click once on it to cleanup the Logos Now free resources lingering from the previous month.

Posts 2315
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2016 2:45 PM

Then do you reindex as well?

Posts 22
Phil Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 6:12 AM

I personally don't re-index immediately after deleting unlicensed resources .  I usually do a "Rebuild Index" once a month.   Since it usually takes a few hours for the size of my library to complete, I usually start it indexing shortly before I walk out the door to go somewhere, knowing that I am going to be gone for several hours.  It is usually always finished when I return.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 7:24 AM

Anthony Sims:
I am thinking about returning a mobile ed course and some other books.  When I return them will the books be removed from my hard drive or do I just lose the license, but they stay on my hard drive? I typically don't think about this, but these particular books/courses are rather large. Thoughts?

As others have said, use delete unlicensed resources to remove the books from your computer.

However, that won't remove MobileEd audio or video files from your Logos WebCache if you've watched or downloaded them. There's no easy way to selectively delete from WebCache, but you can delete the entire folder quite safely. If you do, you'll lose all downloaded audio/video, not just from the resources you've returned, though you'll be able to re-download anything you've deleted, of course.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 7:25 AM

Gao Lu:

Then do you reindex as well?

Unless you're returning a large portion of your library, re-indexing regularly is probably overkill. It's not necessary either, as you you'll never get search results from resources you no longer own.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS