Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1104
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2016 9:08 PM

And, after downloading the resources (during which time Logos froze and had to be killed twice), I can see why no one has listed them all out.

It's mostly old, 19th century Princeton Journals plus quite a number of books that look primarily to be about the history of Old Testament studies. Way, way too many to be manageable.

FAITHLIFE: Please don't take the NOW preview resources in this direction. Up until last month you did quite a good job selecting them, 2-6 newer works from a wide range of disciplines and interests. Please don't start dumping a ton of public domain resources every month. For many people, they're just clutter. For others--we can get full previews of most PD resources any time we want and for however long we want. We will either use them for free off the internet, or if we really want them in Logos, go ahead and buy them from you. I doubt that the practice these two months is going to lead to all that many sales--probably fewer than the number of people you are annoying with the download dump.

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 2:28 AM

Martin Folley:
As the OP ... I would not want anything in my library ... full stop ... unless I explicitly asked for it. There is a logos members page that can have product page links and codes that will allow purchase of sets for $0, with a one month subscription license. The mechanisms are already there

Yes

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 3:00 AM

Martin Folley:
As the OP ... I would not want anything in my library ... full stop ... unless I explicitly asked for it. There is a logos members page that can have product page links and codes that will allow purchase of sets for $0, with a one month subscription license. The mechanisms are already there ... why would we need to have different coding on the desktop?... Library clutter is part of the problem. Stop the marketing ... solve the problem ... simple!

That would 'simply' solve the problem for you, but it would create a problem for people who enjoy the preview resources, and don't want to have to visit a website every month to download them.

If the preview resources were made 'optional', the minimum that would be required IMO would be an email and/or in-app message that allowed you to 'purchase' a limited licence for those resources, in one-click.

In other words, until the notification problem is solved, nothing else will work.

Posts 10549
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 3:42 AM

alabama24:

For me:

1. I don't like the downloading and indexing of items I don't own and won't have access to in a month 
  2. I don't want search results to appear for things I don't own and won't have access to in a month
  3. My time is limited and I don't really have time to review materials... especially not within a month window. 

I would perhaps be more interested in "web only" previews. If something came along I had interest in I could view it online. 

Couldn't haver said it better myself. This is the second month in a row that my library is cluttered with these preview resources that I will never look at because most of them have no interest for me, because I am already busy with other projects, and because I do not like the heavy-handed marketing. I am beginning to view these previews with the same feeling that I get from a telemarketing call.

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 6:24 AM

Mark Barnes:
it would create a problem for people who enjoy the preview resources

agreed, love the preview resources!

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 5019
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 6:34 AM

James Taylor:

Mark Barnes:
it would create a problem for people who enjoy the preview resources

agreed, love the preview resources!

Agreed I have not problem with the concept of preview resources and would not like to have to go to a webpage to opti in every month.  I am not even sure what this month's resources are that are causing some such concern.  I must already own the resources.

I don't think the concept of preview resources is the issues, it's more a case of what has been offered as a preview recently has not been well thought out and so I wouldn't want to see the baby thrown out with the bath water.

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 7:11 AM

While some customers don't care what temporary resources are added and removed from their library every month, some do care. Why can't Logos allow customers who care to customize what temporary resources they allow Logos to add to their library every month? It's their library after all. 

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 8:50 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
I don't think the concept of preview resources is the issues, it's more a case of what has been offered as a preview recently has not been well thought out and so I wouldn't want to see the baby thrown out with the bath water.

Yes

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 9:17 AM

GregW:

Disciple of Christ (doc):

Yes

Agreed.  I like preview resources, but I really don't think collections should be preview items unless they only consist of a few closely related items (2-5? maybe).  Otherwise they become unwanted clutter, IMO. 

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 10549
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:05 AM

Todd Phillips:
Otherwise they become unwanted clutter, IMO. 

That is what the last two months have offered. Most people—including me—do not want to expend the time necessary to sort through dozens of preview resources to see if there is a jewel hidden in the clutter.

Posts 7
Michael Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:25 AM

This is true. I have a lot of resources under "License:temporary" that are these types of resources.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:08 AM

Jack Caviness:

Todd Phillips:
Otherwise they become unwanted clutter, IMO. 

That is what the last two months have offered. Most people—including me—do not want to expend the time necessary to sort through dozens of preview resources to see if there is a jewel hidden in the clutter.

+1

Posts 255
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 1:12 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

For those who don't like the preview resources: do you not want the preview resources at all, or is this more about the downloading and indexing? For example, if they showed up in your Library each month but didn't automatically download and reindex, would that remove the need to opt out of the previews?

For me it's a couple of issues. I don't currently have an SSD so there is a significant performance hit, especially with such a large preview. I also tag all my resources and keep my library view sorted by 'my tags' which makes finding newly purchased and downloaded resources effortless. With big downloads like the preview this month, I have to resort to changing my view, searching or waste time tagging temporary resources for resources I am too busy this month to even look at to find my new owned resources. I like the previews as a basic concept, I just want to be able to choose to download or not download each of them each month.

Posts 24
Benmtzgr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:07 AM

I wouldn't mind the email or notice on my Logos home page towards the end of the month or at the beginning of the month mentioning what the new month's Logos Now preview products are, allowing me to simply click the link and choose which of them I want to "purchase for one month" and download them to my library to preview. The option for a discounted permanent purchase afterwards is great, however, the unsolicited download and then slow indexing due a large resource that has a very small window of users (Sacred Books of the East, Princeton Theological Review, etc), not so much.

Posts 206
David McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 6:08 PM

I got so tired of the endless indexing with preview resources that I opted out of the Logos Now subscription. In balance, this is what tipped me over the edge to opt out!

David
https://www.echucacommunitychurch.com

Specs: HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx ; i7 2 GHz; 8 gb RAM; 2 gb Graphics; 750 Gb HD; Win 10; Bitdefender Antivirus.

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 7:05 PM

Benmtzgr:

The option for a discounted permanent purchase afterwards is great, however, the unsolicited download and then slow indexing due a large resource that has a very small window of users (Sacred Books of the East, Princeton Theological Review, etc), not so much.

The slow indexing is frustrating, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Princeton Theological Review contained several articles related to a Mobile Ed course I'm taking.

In retrospect, it was beneficial for that large collection to download and index, as it contained some insight about a specific doctrine that hadn't turned up in any other resource I'd read.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 2:28 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
For those who don't like the preview resources: do you not want the preview resources at all, or is this more about the downloading and indexing? For example, if they showed up in your Library each month but didn't automatically download and reindex, would that remove the need to opt out of the previews?

Thankful for preview resources while would appreciate option to avoid download and indexing. Awesome would be resource Metadata download to Library so could filter by temporary license followed by opening Metadata with option to download resource and index. Ideally Metadata would include resource size.

Logos Web App and Verbum Web App libraries should show temporary resource immediately so Web App could be used for temporary resource access.

For permanent license resources, dreaming of device "Include Resources" Program Setting (default is yes with time to download controlled by "Automatically Download Updates" Program Setting). On devices with smallish storage, being able to open Metadata so can choose to download for this device would be appreciated. Conversely would like Metadata option to remove downloaded resource from this device so can free up space for other resource(s). Awesome would be Library grouping of resources so could quickly remove many from a device.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2016 8:58 PM

For me it would be great to seperate the Monthly LN Resources from the "other" LN temp Resources 

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 3:13 AM

Since we just have 7 Resources this Month here is a Collection that Works

1. tag all temp Resources with Logos Now, than delete the 7 Commentaries for this Month.

2. Built a Collection with License:temp ANDNOT mytag:LogosNow

If I got it right than in this Collection will only show up what is a Monthly Resource.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 18 2016 6:11 PM

Sascha John:
If I got it right than in this Collection will only show up what is a Monthly Resource.

These are monthly ones.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS