Logos on eInk/eReader Device

Page 3 of 7 (130 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 129 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 15
Nit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 6:47 PM

I am very interested in using e-ink device to read FL's books, and I have got a Boox e-reader for reading books.  The main purpose of using e-ink device is for reading, when I want to use the advance function of Logos, I would use other devices. 

Very often, if the books doesn't  require those function, I would go to Amazon to get a Kindle version of them, because Kindle(device) run more smoothly.

For the Logos app, each time I have to work out the direction for page turning, probably due to the sensitivity of the e-ink panel, it always changes, not to say that when I am using some of the Hebrew resources.  On the other hand, FL's books is better than the Kindle books especially in displaying the alphabets of original languages like Hebrew or Greek.

I really support to have a simplified version of the app solely for good reading experience, it will save me lot of time in finding books from Amazon to replace the FL's books that I come across in FL.

Cheers,

Nit

Posts 7
Andley Chang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 5:34 AM

Agree !

"a simplified version of the app solely for book reading" -- I'm all for it.

Thanks,

-Andley.

Posts 2251
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 7:56 AM

I do like the idea of a e-ink reader for Logos resources

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 8:25 AM

mab:

I do like the idea of a e-ink reader for Logos resources

Me, too!  And please make it touch screen friendly. For study, Logos Bible Software is great.  For reading your books, it is not very good at all.

An e-ink reader would be so much easier on the eyes.  It would make it possible to read your books anywhere, including outside in bright light. 

And being "touch screen" friendly would be so helpful.  For example, on my touch screen computer, I will be reading a Logos book, using my finger to scroll through the pages.  Then it quits scrolling.  I have to use the little slide on the side of the window to get it to start scrolling again.  Most annoying.  Logos is just not well designed for reading purposes, which is kind of important when you are selling "books".

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 9:22 AM

How about this? This is the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2. It runs Android 4.2.2 and has a frontlight. It has a 6 inch screen and 300 dpi. It runs the Logos/Verbum Android app very well. You can scroll to read, or change the setting to a page turn mode by tapping or swiping right to left. The light is fairly even - a bit more even than this picture would seem to show. You can get it on Amazon, eBay and a number of other sites. For now, the C67 is fully compatible with the Logos/Verbum app. 

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 9:39 AM

Here's what a passage guide looks like. The colored headings are a bit faded on eInk, but not too bad.I

H

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 10:29 AM

Mark... Does the Onyx C67 come with Google Play and can one install the latest version of Android Logos without rooting?  Thx.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 1:00 PM

Steve Farson:

Mark... Does the Onyx C67 come with Google Play and can one install the latest version of Android Logos without rooting?  Thx.

Hi, Steve,

Yes, the C67ML Carta 2 comes with Google Play. (I typed out the full name because there are several C67 models out there.) When I first signed in, I didn't have the latest version of Google Play, but the Store updated itself soon enough. 

You can install the latest version of Logos without rooting. Let me add a precaution. The main weakness of the C67 series is that its user data partition (where your installed apps go) is only 350MB. Google Play Store and Google Play Services take up a chunk of that space. You can move portions of your installed apps to the internal sd card without rooting. That helps, to a point. I say this because it won't take many apps to fill up that space, and Google Play won't install the Logos app unless you have at least 150MB of free space in that partition. It can also make updating the Logos app a pain if your app partition is too full. Without rooting the C67, there's not much one can do about that limitation. 

Nevertheless, if you plan to use an eInk device only for Logos and eBooks, this device will serve you well. The C67 comes with a couple of pre-installed reader apps for eBooks, and they work fine. The C67 plays nicely with Calibre.  Moon Reader also works well. You may have your own favored reading app. 

If you want to install a number of apps, however, I'd recommend something like the Boyue T62+. It gives you 1GB of user app space.  It's similar in most respects to the C67, expect it has a 212 dpi screen. A newer T63 may be out soon with 300 dpi, though. 

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 1:53 PM

Mark... Thanks much!  Will use the 67L only for Logos/reading.  Appreciate your insight and experience... Steve

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 3:31 PM

Steve Farson:

Mark... Thanks much!  Will use the 67L only for Logos/reading.  Appreciate your insight and experience... Steve

You're very welcome! In that case, the C67 should work out just fine for you. It's light - even in its case - so it's easy to hold for long reading sessions. Logos works well on it. If you want to do more research, check out the MobileRead forums

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2016 7:09 PM

Mark, thanks for posting the pics. Is the load time for the Logos app comparable to the Icarus Faithlife demonstrated in the video on page 1 of this thread? Also, once the Logos app is loaded, about how long does it take to pull up the library and open a resource? Finally, is this device easy to root?

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 2:46 AM

Bill Anderson:

Mark, thanks for posting the pics. Is the load time for the Logos app comparable to the Icarus Faithlife demonstrated in the video on page 1 of this thread? Also, once the Logos app is loaded, about how long does it take to pull up the library and open a resource? Finally, is this device easy to root?

Hi, Bill,

Yes, this device is easy to root. As far as load times go, let me preface my comments by saying that my device is rooted and I am using Link2SD to maximize my user app partition space. So, my Logos is working under a slight handicap. Still, load time for the app itself and for pulling up the library or opening a resource is similar. I've had this C67 for about ten days now so I'm still experimenting a bit with it. I'm also using FolderMount to move Logos data to my external SD card - so I can have more of my resources on this device and still have plenty of room on internal storage for ebooks.  (Depending on how someone else uses a device like this, rooting may not be needed.) 

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:38 PM

Hey Mark... Have unwrapped the CG7.  Nice!  But I think I just did something I shouldn't have.  With no apps installed I ran Google play, downloaded the Logos Bible App, but it wouldn't install... insufficient space.  So I tried to clear up appication space.  The hefty files in the 350mb app space was Google Play db files. I deleted them.  Bad idea.  Now no Google Play... just a blank screen.  Great.  I have a marooned C67L!  I suppose you or anyone else wouldn't know how to get Google Play running again.  And then... getting Logos to install.  Looks a sweet device... but I'm dead in the water! 

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2016 10:11 PM

OK... Google Play healed itself!  Any ideas what to delete from from the Application space?  I have Google Play services (118Mb) and Google Play Store (27Mb) + ??? = 201 mb used and 138mb free.  I'll keep looking.  Thanks much for any thoughts.  It appears to be an excellent device for reading Logos books.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2016 1:40 AM

Hi, Steve,

Sorry for your problems. I thought that Google Play would reinstall itself, and it did. I'm now having a similar problem. I was able to install 5.6.2, but I can't upgrade to 5.7.2, no matter what I do. I can't clear enough space to allow Verbum to upgrade from Google Play. I tried installing the Amazon Appstore and upgrading to 5.7.2 that way. It said I was successful, but I still have 5.6.2 on my C67! 

Without rooting and a lot of fooling around, I see two possible solutions. One, install the Amazon Appstore and see if you can install Logos that way. If that doesn't work, then perhaps someone at Faithlife or on this forum will be kind enough to post a link to allow you (us) to directly download the apk and install it. 

In the meantime, here is a link to Verbum 5.6.2 from my Dropbox. You can download it from there. Under Settings/Extension/Application setting on the C67, be sure to check "Allow installation from unknown sources". Touch the apk in Downloads or Storage and select "install to SD Card". That will work.  

Because of this issue, I'll need to change my recommendation for this device. If you're willing to do some extra work to sideload the app, then Logos/Verbum will work on this device. If you want something easier, go for the Boyue T62+ (or similar devices). It has a much larger user app partition.  

Again, sorry for your trouble. I feel responsible as I recommended this device. Once you get Logos installed, it runs fine. Getting it installed/upgraded is the challenge!!!

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2016 4:23 AM

I don't want to get in trouble for something that is out of place, but if anyone is interested, I am selling my Boyue t62+ on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. If you're interested in trying it out.

I've lost too much vision for it to work for me, but it might work for someone else.  It's in excellent condition due to the fact that I barely used it. 

It's easy enough to root it, put custom roms on, install Google Play, etc and run the Logos app.  I just don't need it.

If this is out of place, I apologize.

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2016 4:44 AM

No prob Mark.  My guess is 5.7.2 is trying to install from Google Play.  The C67 was inexpensive and still a fine e-book tablet.

FL... maybe a link to an apk?  Cool

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2016 10:35 AM

Steve Farson:

No prob Mark.  My guess is 5.7.2 is trying to install from Google Play.  The C67 was inexpensive and still a fine e-book tablet.

FL... maybe a link to an apk?  Cool

In the meantime, I hope you can install Logos by one of the methods I suggested. Verbum is pretty much like Logos, except for a couple of additional free resources (the Catholic Lectionary and the Douay-Rheims English translation of the Bible). 

Posts 52
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 7:08 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:
Let us know what you think!

I would buy an eInk reader that ran Logos.  I really miss the send to Kindle feature because I prefer to read Logos documents on an eInk reader.  iPads, phones and computers are too hard on the eyes to read for any length of time.

Thanks for looking into this!

Posts 17
Ryan Lanning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 11:14 PM

Hey Mark,

How is Logos currently doing on your Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2? Did the issues get fixed?

I'm thinking about buying that one or the inkbook obisidian.

Thanks

Page 3 of 7 (130 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS