Logos on eInk/eReader Device

Page 4 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 129 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:12 AM

Ryan Lanning:

Hey Mark,

How is Logos currently doing on your Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2? Did the issues get fixed?

I'm thinking about buying that one or the inkbook obisidian.

Thanks

Logos runs fine on my C67. The problem is getting it installed, because Play Store will tell you that you don't have enough room to install it. I needed to install it by sideloading it. The other option is to install Amazon App Store and install Logos/Verbum from there.  Again, the trick is to install it! Once installed, it runs well. It will run a bit more slowly than on higher-end Android tablets, but it works fine.  

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 8:56 AM

Mark... Do want to mention a word of "thank-you" for staying on top of the e-book scene, also for the 5.6.2 link.  Installed it to the external SD card on the C67 and reading a Logos book right now on it.  Thanks again.

Posts 17
Ryan Lanning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 9:51 AM

I agree! Thanks!

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 12:57 PM

You are both very welcome. I also have an iPad, which is less hassle to set up, but e-ink is easier on my eyes for any extended reading. I also enjoy diving into any area I am interested in and learning what I can about it. The e-ink devices (and tablets in general) have become a special interest of mine - one of several! I also enjoy sharing what I have learned if anyone can benefit from it.  

It's almost embarrassing to say that I have four tablets: the C67ML Carta 2, the iPad, a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855. It's one hobby that I let myself spend money on, besides books and music. I guess that makes me multi-lingual with various OS options! 

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 4:13 AM

Here is a Dropbox link to Verbum 5.8.3, for anyone who is interested.

By the way, I've found a way to set up my C67ML Carta 2 so that I can download, install and upgrade Logos/Verbum. To do that, I needed to root my device, then create a second partition on my microSD card, and then use Link2SD Plus to move my apps to that second partition, leaving only links in the userdata partition. As a result, although I have over a dozen apps installed (as well as Play Store and Play Services), I have about 260MB free in the 339MB userdata partition. If anyone is interested in that, I can put together a guide, or show you where to find the info.  

Posts 16
Mark Groen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 9:00 AM

Thank you for this information.  Do you have a video of it running the Logos app?  Is the app smooth or jerky?  Just curious.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 9:38 AM

Mark Groen:

Thank you for this information.  Do you have a video of it running the Logos app?  Is the app smooth or jerky?  Just curious.

I don't have a video now, but I'll try to do a little one when I get the chance. If you saw the video linked in the first post on this thread, the speed of my C67 is similar to that. Setting up the Link2SD stuff has slowed my apps down a little, but it's worth it for the extra user app space. Transitions from Home to Passage Guide or Library are fairly smooth, but slow, like that video. Reading, using the scrolling option, is a bit jerky, but not enough to be an issue. Using the tap-to-turn-page option is slightly better. Text is very readable, even though the Logos app isn't designed with e-ink in mind.  My device has a 300 dpi screen, which also improves the reading experience. The slowness isn't a problem for me. A few seconds here or there won't make or break my day. The main reason to opt for an e-ink device is if you find that e-ink is easier on your eyes than conventional tablet or smartphone displays. If e-ink is better for you, then the slowness and the work in setting up the device will pay off.  

Posts 33
Yann Parodi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 1:57 AM

Definitly interested !

Posts 16
Mark Groen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 8:54 AM

I've decided I'm going to take the plunge with this.  I'm doing an extra service tonight.  A church 35 miles from us has a pastor out of town for vacation and so I'm doing their Thanksgiving Eve service and communion tonight.

Pulpit supply fee and mileage going into the fund for one of these. Very thankful for all the input and help in this thread!!!

Posts 7
Andley Chang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2016 4:45 PM

I have an Onyx N96ML running Android 4.04, but neither Verbum(5.8.3) nor Logos (5.7.2) would work --- installation was OK, but the screen turned BLACK when I open a book to read :(

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2016 3:56 AM

Andley Chang:

I have an Onyx N96ML running Android 4.04, but neither Verbum(5.8.3) nor Logos (5.7.2) would work --- installation was OK, but the screen turned BLACK when I open a book to read :(

Same thing happened to the Onyx T68 that I once had. I was told then that some e-ink devices lack a certain hardware acceleration setting that Logos/Verbum needs to work properly. The other factor is that the minimum Android requirement for Logos/Verbum is 4.1.  Not good news for you, I know. Sorry about that. 

I know that Logos/Verbum works on the Onyx C67 series and the Boyue T61-T62 series. However, I don't know of any way to tell ahead of time if Logos/Verbum will work properly on any other e-ink device, except for trial-and-error, or (better) by checking with other users before you buy. 

Posts 15
Nit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 5:29 AM

Faithlife had once posted an older version of the app(Logos 4.3.9apk) which did not require the hardware acceleration, you may find it there

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/690350.aspx#690350

Nit

Posts 7
Andley Chang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 1:45 PM

Dear Nit, thanks for the info. I will give it a try when I have time ... thanks again !!

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2016 4:45 PM

Nit:

Faithlife had once posted an older version of the app(Logos 4.3.9apk) which did not require the hardware acceleration, you may find it there

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97266/690350.aspx#690350

Nit

Thanks from me as well! I had the 4.3.9 apk once, and I was trying to find it - but to no avail. It will work fine on that Onyx N96. There may be an occasional problem with a resource that will only work with the newer apk, but I suspect that this glitch will be rare.  

Posts 17
Ryan Lanning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 3:41 PM

Hey Mark that would be great if you could put that guide together when you can.

I am enjoying the Carta 2 but some space is needed because Logos keeps on crashing.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 3:53 PM

Ryan Lanning:

Hey Mark that would be great if you could put that guide together when you can.

I am enjoying the Carta 2 but some space is needed because Logos keeps on crashing.

Hi, Ryan. I had almost forgotten that I had mentioned that. Thanks for the reminder! With any luck, I should be able to put together a guide during the upcoming week. My Carta 2 is working well, with over eighteen user apps (including Logos) installed, as well as Play Store, and still over 270MB of available space in the user app partition (which is 339MB). 

You'll need Link2SD Pro and a microSD card to do this project. If you want to have a lot of resources on the Carta 2, with FolderMount, you can move them all to the microSD card as well. I'll include that in the guide, in case anyone is interested. As always with such things, I can't guarantee anything. Moreover, FL can't offer support to such an arrangement. (Their reasoning makes sense to me.) But, from my experience, it should work well for you.  

Edit: Here is a link to the guide I used to do this project. If it seems confusing to you, let me know and I'll do one! The only thing I'd correct in the guide is to recommend that you not try to move every apk file to the microSD card. Anything that requires root should stay where it is. Trust me! However, you can move Play Store and Play Services to the sd card without trouble now.  

Posts 17
Ryan Lanning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 1:10 PM

Thanks Mark! All of that would be great. I have mine rooted and link2sd going but I am having trouble with foldermount to take care of my data.  I suppose I am not choosing the right source or destination folder. 

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 2:17 PM

Ryan Lanning:

Thanks Mark! All of that would be great. I have mine rooted and link2sd going but I am having trouble with foldermount to take care of my data.  I suppose I am not choosing the right source or destination folder. 

For foldermount, my source is: sdcard/Android/data/com.logos.androidverbum (as I have Verbum). Whatever the corresponding one for Logos is, choose that! Once you get source, foldermount should offer you a destination option. Should be something like external_sd/Android/data/com.logos.androidverbum (or whatever it is for Logos and not Verbum!).  

Once you have source and destination, you need to wait a while as foldermount moves the resources to the sd card. Then, you need to find Logos under "list of Pairs" (in foldermount) and make sure that the slider to the right of "Logos" is moved to the right. That will mount your foldermount setup. Then, reboot and you should be good to go.  

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 4:21 PM

Daniel, thank you for posting this. I'm definitely interested. 

Is this the same device: https://smile.amazon.com/ICARUS-Illumina-e-reader-screen-Android/dp/B00LN4XJ28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481502055&sr=8-1&keywords=icarus+ereader

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 4:46 PM

I just bought it. Anybody have any experience or feedback on highlights with this?

id love logos to make a simple version of reader for slow eink devices 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 4 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS