Devotions Tool?...

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:44 AM

I love some of the recent developments Logos has released, like the systematic theology tool and especially the sermons tool. And I would really love a Biblical Devotions Tool for the following reasons.

I typically don't read devotionals for each day of the year. I also don't read them from cover to cover. I do read the Bible though. And I would love to be able to see every devotional I have that is on the Scripture I am currently in. I would much rather have a devotional that would simply follow along with my Bible reading, rather than tailoring my Bible reading to my devotional reading. However, there are only a handful of devotionals that go right through a book of the Bible, or even sections of Bible. (Some exceptions are: For the Love of God, The Family Expositor, Joseph Hall's Contemplations, The Poor Man's Commentary, Matthew Henry's Commentary, and Sabbath Scripture Readings - almost no modern ones). Instead, they are typically organized in random, small, fragmented gatherings of Scripture. This is fine for someone reading only the devotional, but if someone wants to find a devotion on a given verse, the task of finding a devotion on that verse is almost impossible. 

A Devotions Tool would solve this problem. It would be an amazingly great addition to Logos to be able to search my library for any of my devotions on any given verse. Would anyone else be interested in something like this? It seems to me that it would be invaluable for regular Bible reading and devotional use.

Posts 876
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:56 AM

I would just create a Devotions Passage Guide. Create a devotions collection and include that. Add the sermons section and maybe another collection of expository commentaries (probably use Mark's) for when you want more depth. I would add Media Resources too, if you like visuals. I don't see what else the Biblical Devotions Tool would do. 

I worked bottom right to top right to left.

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:11 AM

Justin, the difference would be that instead of simply searching for any verse reference, the tool would pull only devotions on a particular verse, the same way the sermons tool does. There are many simple verse references in most devotionals, and a simple search would bring up all of these as well. Check out the Sermons Tool, and how different it is between simply searching all your sermons for a given verse.

Posts 876
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:19 AM

I see what you are saying. Devotions are not well tagged my main reference, so doing a Commentary section on the Devotionals collection has very few hits. 

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 1:50 PM

Liam:
A Devotions Tool would solve this problem. It would be an amazingly great addition to Logos to be able to search my library for any of my devotions on any given verse. Would anyone else be interested in something like this? It seems to me that it would be invaluable for regular Bible reading and devotional use.

An excellent idea that had never crossed my mind. I've wanted a discussion questions section that pulled from study guides as well. I think both could be very useful even if some of the tagging was DIY as it is in sermons.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 490
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 3:06 PM

Yes Great idea!!

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 3:39 PM

Yes I like it!

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 4:34 PM

Liam:

OT: I followed your link and saw there are three volumes of these at Amazon and I'm so getting them all (only $0.99 each). I'm presently reading a book on Puritan meditation and his name is all over the place.

Posts 2282
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 4:42 PM

This I would use everyday. Please make it mobile.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 549
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 5:47 PM

Yes

You got my vote. 

Posts 490
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:08 PM

Justin Gatlin:
I would just create a Devotions Passage Guide. Create a devotions collection and include that.

Great idea! Never thought of that.  

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:49 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

Liam:

OT: I followed your link and saw there are three volumes of these at Amazon and I'm so getting them all (only $0.99 each). I'm presently reading a book on Puritan meditation and his name is all over the place.

Yasmin, I'm glad I helped you find it! I found it referenced often as well, (George Whitfield read it daily apparentl) and for a couple years wasn't able to find an existing copy, but someone generously retypeset it and has released it for Kindle! I stumbled across the 3 volumes at $1 each a couple months ago! A steal! I'm in volume 1 and am absolutely loving it!

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:53 PM

MJ I love the question tagging idea! And if there's a way for users to make any of this a reality before Logos gets on it, I'm in!

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:20 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

Liam:

I'm actually looking for a good book on Puritan meditation. Out of Curiousity what book is it?

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 8:49 PM

Liam:
if someone wants to find a devotion on a given verse, the task of finding a devotion on that verse is almost impossible. 

Though not perfect, my workaround for this has been to do a heading/largetext search for the Bible verse in the devotional collection. It will likely miss some that the text size is too small or the verse isn't part of the heading, but it does often catch some results. Like this...

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 979
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 2:14 AM

MJ. Smith:
I've wanted a discussion questions section that pulled from study guides as well.

YES! Yes +1

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:50 AM

Liam:

I'm actually looking for a good book on Puritan meditation. Out of Curiousity what book is it?

It's called God's Battle Plan for the Mind: The Puritan Practice of Biblical Meditation by David W Saxton, with the foreword by Joel R Beeke. Also, this article on "The Puritan Practice of Meditation" by Joel R Beeke is also great (hat tip to MJ.).

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 11:53 AM

James thank you! I hadn't considered that. I'll have try it out!

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2016 4:11 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

Liam:

It's called God's Battle Plan for the Mind: The Puritan Practice of Biblical Meditation by David W Saxton, with the foreword by Joel R Beeke. Also, this article on "The Puritan Practice of Meditation" by Joel R Beeke is also great (hat tip to MJ.).

Thank you Yasmin! That's the same one I've been considering so that's some confirmation! I'd also like to eventually research what actual Puritan writings on meditation are out there.

Posts 1122
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2018 6:45 AM

Still would love to someday see this!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS