Faithlife: Please break up the C.S. Lewis collection!

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 9 2016 10:20 AM

The collection has been out over a year, but we still can't buy individual Lewis books.  Who's responsible for this decision?

I've bought many of his books in Kindle format, but I'd rather have them in Logos.  However I'm going to have to stick with Kindle if Faithlife won't/can't break up the collection.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:27 AM

Todd Phillips:

The collection has been out over a year, but we still can't buy individual Lewis books.  Who's responsible for this decision?

I've bought many of his books in Kindle format, but I'd rather have them in Logos.  However I'm going to have to stick with Kindle if Faithlife won't/can't break up the collection.

Yes please!

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:36 AM

I would appreciate this.  

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 12:16 PM

I keep getting excited when I see the books each have individual entries in the Logos catalog, but then my hopes are dashed when I see there's no purchase button.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:12 PM

I know it took a while for Faithlife to get these works by CS Lewis, Therefore it could be a publisher decision.

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:19 PM

Ronald Quick:

. . . Therefore it could be a publisher decision.

I'll never figure out why a publisher would want fewer sales. I already have a lot of them on dead tree, there are a few I'd like though.

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:49 PM

I certainly wish I could buy them as individual volumes. As a collection they are way too expensive.

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 4:20 PM

Kenute P. Curry:

I certainly wish I could buy them as individual volumes. As a collection they are way too expensive.

Agreed

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 10:30 PM

Ronald Quick:

I know it took a while for Faithlife to get these works by CS Lewis, Therefore it could be a publisher decision.

In many (most?) countries outside the US Lewis's works are in the public domain...I'm not sure what kind of arrangement Logos made with the publisher but I hope they aren't paying them for purchases made by those who don't live where they have copyright. This would also mean Logos is free to sell them however they want elsewhere as long as they don't use the publishers artwork, etc.

Posts 26288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:27 PM

Tom Reynolds:
but I hope they aren't paying them for purchases made by those who don't live where they have copyright.

Ah encouraging breaking the law? See https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5443 which will tell you that generally the laws of the seller's country not the buyers' countries applies.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:54 PM

CS Lewis has been dead for only 53 years. I honestly doubt that the copyright has expired in a lot of countries.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:59 PM

MJ. Smith:

Tom Reynolds:
but I hope they aren't paying them for purchases made by those who don't live where they have copyright.

Ah encouraging breaking the law? See https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=5443 which will tell you that generally the laws of the seller's country not the buyers' countries applies.

I'm not sure how it works these days with ebooks but try going to Amazon.ca and looking up Lewis's books. What price do you see? Does it offer you a dozen different Kindle versions for $1+? When I go to Amazon.com it gives me cheap pricing based on my IP address. e.g. I can buy the 7 book Narnia set plus Boxen as a collection for $0.75 USD from some little known publisher. Even the volumes from Harper Collins are $0.85 each so I presume they are indeed basing my price on where I am, not that I'm buying them from a US website. Unless the American price is also dirt cheap. I can't tell though as I don't have access to a US IP address. My point is that Amazon.com and .ca are separate companies in separate countries but they treat me like a Canadian on either website.

Either way I haven't bought the Lewis collection because it's far overpriced.

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 12:06 AM

Jan Krohn:

CS Lewis has been dead for only 53 years. I honestly doubt that the copyright has expired in a lot of countries.

It used to be most countries had shorter copyright terms. Lewis's copyright has expired in a lot of countries. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa all have life +50 terms while the US and UK have life +70. You can see the full list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths.

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 12:33 AM

That's a helpful link!

Australia has life+50 years only for authors who died before 1955. Since we're in 2016, that quite moot...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 26288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 12:49 AM

Tom Reynolds:
I'm not sure how it works these days with ebooks but try going to Amazon.ca and looking up Lewis's books. What price do you see? Does it offer you a dozen different Kindle versions for $1+? When I go to Amazon.com it gives me cheap pricing based on my IP address.

There is a big difference in that Amazon has branches in a number of countries to that the Canadian branch of Amazon can offer Canadian copyright laws.  However, if you were in Sarawak where they do not have a branch, you would have to apply the laws of the branch of Amazon that supplies the book.

BTW I don't show many third party reprints so I don't have the low price options ... although there appears to be a bug in the Amazon sort by price routine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:11 AM

What I'm saying is that Amazon.com is offering me works based on Canadian copyright law. If I was in Sarawak I presume that Amazon.com could also offer me works based on Sarawak copyright law based on my IP address (and CC address?) since that's what they're doing with .com.

Can you get this listing on Amazon.com? https://www.amazon.com/CHRONICLES-NARNIA-Collection-Childrens-Literature-ebook/dp/B01F9A5KXM It's for the Narnia collection for Kindle from some "publisher" for $0.56. It's doesn't say they're Canadian although there's another publisher called MapleLeafBooks which presumably is.

Posts 27556
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 4:23 AM

Tom Reynolds:
Can you get this listing on Amazon.com?

Nope.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:08 AM

The link you gave Tom Reynolds takes me to THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION, which is priced under $20.00

Posts 303
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:29 AM

Tom Reynolds:

If I was in Sarawak I presume that Amazon.com could also offer me works based on Sarawak copyright law based on my IP address (and CC address?) since that's what they're doing with .com.

Unless they have state-based copyright laws, that would be Malaysian copyright law Geeked

Posts 26288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 1:36 PM

Tom Reynolds:
What I'm saying is that Amazon.com is offering me works based on Canadian copyright law. If I was in Sarawak I presume that Amazon.com could also offer me works based on Sarawak copyright law based on my IP address (and CC address?) since that's what they're doing with .com.

What I am saying is that they could do that only if they have a company/physical presence there.

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS