Sermon Editor - Extremely Slow

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 11 2016 9:51 AM

I am using a new Mac Book Pro Laptop that I purchased this fall.  And when I use the sermon editor... it literally takes 2-3 seconds for my keystrokes to appear on the screen.  I just wrote my first sermon in using the sermon editor, and it took me almost 3 times as long as it would have in Microsoft Word.

I have closed down as many applications and Logos windows as possible, thinking they are taking up resources...

I was on with technical support yesterday regarding another issue, and I asked about the slowness issue... and they could seem to help me.

Has anyone else experienced any slowness in the Sermon Editor?

Posts 294
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2016 1:29 PM

Russ Atter:

I am using a new Mac Book Pro Laptop that I purchased this fall.  And when I use the sermon editor... it literally takes 2-3 seconds for my keystrokes to appear on the screen.  I just wrote my first sermon in using the sermon editor, and it took me almost 3 times as long as it would have in Microsoft Word.

I have closed down as many applications and Logos windows as possible, thinking they are taking up resources...

I was on with technical support yesterday regarding another issue, and I asked about the slowness issue... and they could seem to help me.

Has anyone else experienced any slowness in the Sermon Editor?

Just a couple of questions: What version of L7 are you running? What are the specifications on your MAC. I also use a MAC and do not experience the samething that you are talk about. 

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:04 AM

I am using a new Mac Book Pro - with and I7 2.8ghz processor, 16gb of RAM with a 1tb flash hard drive.

And I am using logos 7

Posts 22830
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:11 AM

Which version of Logos 7?

There were some improvements in 7.1

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 8:45 AM

My Version is: 

Logos Bible Software 7.1

Posts 3171
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 10:19 AM

A case has been made for the behavior Russ is reporting.

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2016 3:47 AM

After spending some more time on the phone with support, and some experimenting, I have narrowed down the pronlem....

When using the sermon editor, I use the 'outline' function.

The larger my outline becomes, the slower the Sermon Editor responds.

The sermon I had been working on, consisted of an outline with over 4000 words...

A sermon this size, not using the 'outline' seems to function appropriately.  But, as I create my outline, the larger the sermon becomes, the slower the Sermon Editor performs.

Faithlife, has downloaded a copy of my sermon, and acknowledged the slow performance.

Thank You!

Posts 995
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2016 8:51 AM

Russ, I'm experiencing the same behaviour. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's painfully slow. 

Russ Atter:
When using the sermon editor, I use the 'outline' function.

Do you mean the Handout function? Does emptying the document of everything included in the handout help with the speed issue?!

My sermon document is currently only around 300 words and the editor is extremely slow, just as you describe. 

If there's a way round this I'd be very glad to know!

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2016 12:09 PM

That is interesting.  My sermon documents are between 4,000 to 5,000 words, however I wait until I am finished writing it before I use the "Handout" function.  I have not tried using the handout function as I go, perhaps that would slow mine down too. 

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 995
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2016 12:23 PM

So is the 'outline' function you describe something different to the 'handout' function!?

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2016 2:57 PM

The outline function is different than the handout function.

It outlines the document as you type it.

1. Main Point

a.  sub point...

i.  etc...

The handout function it when you highlight your handout items and click the handout button.

The function does not appear to be slow for me.

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2016 9:28 AM

Is there any update to this issue?

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Thanks for checking, Russ. There haven't been any application updates that address this issue yet. It's still being investigated.

Posts 13
Brenden Bridges | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 16 2016 11:26 AM

I am also having this same issue... are there any fixes yet?

Posts 22830
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2016 6:29 AM

Jacob Carpenter (Faithlife):

Thanks for checking, Russ. There haven't been any application updates that address this issue yet. It's still being investigated.

I seem to have noticed it getting slower after installing 7.3 beta 1

Posts 1
Jim Carriere | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2016 1:39 PM

This has become most frustrating for me, and unfortunate.  I have abandoned the Sermon Writer all together and am writing my sermons through Pages on my Mac.  I'm not sure that I'm very happy about it, having paid money to upgrade to the Sermon Writing feature.

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2017 2:45 AM

Hello,

This problem was reported nearly 3 months ago, with no updates, or resolution.  Understanding that I paid several thousand dollars for this program, and one of the big sales points was the Sermon Writer, it is quite frustrating that I am unable to use it.

Please update, let me know if someone is even working on this issue....

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Sorry, Russ. We've been trying to balance feature work with improvements to the existing editor. Over the last 3 months, we've spent some time profiling and improving what look to be the biggest/most obvious performance bottlenecks. But it sounds like our improvements haven't addressed your specific problem?

Is it still the case that you find the use of indentation to be the main source of performance problems? Are there any more specifics you can give us about the problem to help us recreate it here?

Posts 10
Russ Atter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2017 5:05 AM

Jacob,

When this problem occurred initially, I had worked with someone in technical support.  They had me run a script and send in some files.

My assumption at that time, was that you were able to reproduce the problem on your end.  

It appears from other users, that they are having similar problems.  

I have stopped using the Sermon Editor, and last week, I attempted again, and ran into the same difficulty.

If you need any further information, I am willing to work with you to supply you with whatever you need.

Thanks much! 

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Thanks Russ. I really appreciate your willingness to provide more information. I don't think the information tech support provided has been very helpful from a development perspective (not their fault).

When you say "I attempted again, and ran into the same difficulty", I'm still not entirely clear on how you are encountering this problem. We have a couple of test sermons that are more than 3K words, and they run smoothly on our hardware.

Does opening a brand new, empty sermon and typing a single-letter exhibit a second-long delay? Or do you need to get 4K words before it starts slowing down? Is your sermon lots of prose in each paragraph, or are you writing many short paragraphs? You mentioned "Outlining" in one of your earlier posts, but I don't know what feature you're referring to. Do you mean indentation?

A thorough description of the steps you undertook to test and evaluate whether you still experience the problem (and a description of what the problem is) would be really helpful. A screenshot of your poor performing sermon might also be helpful. Also, if you're only testing with an existing long sermon, it'd be interesting to know if starting from a new blank sermon has any different performance characteristics.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS