Hey Seriously, 45 volumes of primary world religion documents for $30 dollars. That's a good deal!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 29 2016 12:40 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/16021/mormon-studies-collection

It's currently $30 in CP.

Ever read any of these to try to understand how Mormonism differs from Evangelical Christianity? 

How about having these books in your Logos library for ready reference? 

I understand that some folks would like books about Mormonism. That's fine, but this isn't a thread for those books. These primary sources are valuable to me because they are the actual source material about which later authors write. I'd really like these books in Logos so I can more effectively do comparative religious study and more accurately describe the Mormon faith in a classroom setting.

WR82

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 3:39 PM

I doubt you're going to efficiently be able to distinguish Mormons from Evangelicals (your comment) ... if indeed it takes you 45 public domain books to figure it out.

One of the Logos.com reviewers was planning PB's years back. Given 20% in 2012 and 20% 4 years later, the PBs with associated DOCS's might have been time more productively spent.

We live near Mormonland, near the end of the Honeymoon Trail (to the St George Temple) and along the way, Brigham's cheese factory, our favorite national monument. Talking to Mormons using old books is not terribly efficient, with a progressive revelation religion. Newer scholarly tomes are much better. But the best is their own bookstore. They're quite transparent in the last 15 years or so.

My favorite, which I gave to a fellow Christian wanting to better discuss, is hi-res images of the earliest writings, complete with color coded changes, and who made the changes. Sort of a critical edition of early Mormonism. 

Posts 1376
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 6:07 PM

Most of these volumes simply don't do what you want them to do, with some exceptions. Mormons don't use them or write about them or read them. Most of these volumes are largely useless or irrelevant in studying modern Mormonism, or theology, or basic doctrine, or witnessing. They're not the equivalent of Calvin's Institutes or the early Christian Fathers or anything else. 

If you want to do detailed historical research, they serve some purpose, with historical caveats. But that doesn't appear to be your goal. 

I'd love to see editions of Mormon scripture in Logos. But I'm not paying $30 for them when they're free and searchable elsewhere. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 6:15 PM

Denise:
I doubt you're going to efficiently be able to distinguish Mormons from Evangelicals (your comment) ... if indeed it takes you 45 public domain books to figure it out.
Can someone help me find the proper spelling of "snark"?

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 7:04 PM

Calm down, Mr C. In the first place, snark is a social media device of greatest value to its user.  Probably from folks who grew up with Charlie Brown and  the great pumpkin ... this weekend's TV humor.

Secondly, the gentleman walked from the other thread, after Ben pointed out various reasons why a good Logos collection would be far more useful to his cause than old public domain texts.

Posts 1025
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 8:16 PM

Ben:

Most of these volumes simply don't do what you want them to do, with some exceptions. ..

I would love to see FaithLife split out a smaller collection that included the most useful volumes, perhaps starting with the two editions of the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, and perhaps the dictionary and history. That list is intended to be purely illustrative - I'm not expert enough in this area to know whether or not the dictionary and history are of any value. But my guess is that a small, more focused collection might get to 100% more quickly.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2016 9:06 PM

Denise:
Calm down, Mr C.
Stick out tongue

Posts 435
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2016 5:10 PM

WR82:

https://www.logos.com/product/16021/mormon-studies-collection

It's currently $30 in CP.

Ever read any of these to try to understand how Mormonism differs from Evangelical Christianity? 

How about having these books in your Logos library for ready reference? 

I understand that some folks would like books about Mormonism. That's fine, but this isn't a thread for those books. These primary sources are valuable to me because they are the actual source material about which later authors write. I'd really like these books in Logos so I can more effectively do comparative religious study and more accurately describe the Mormon faith in a classroom setting.

WR82

Probably most community pricing collections do not go below $2 per volume, and those that inch toward $1 are more exceptional, depending of course on a number of factors like the quality, length, and complexity of the sources available to Faithlife. Many of the books in this collection are rather long and might require a fair bit of formatting and tagging. Thus, if users really want this collection in Logos, they should probably up their bids closer to $90 and then try to drive the price down from there. The starting bid, however, tends to create a lot of inertia, so this one seems to have been dead in the water from its initiation into CP.

As EastTN already suggested, it might have a better shot if Faithlife broke it up and gave the newer collections more realistic bidding scales from the start. Users might find smaller collections more manageable and attractive their budgets. Even if it seems that some of the less well-known volumes would be a harder sell, it can't be worse than no sell.

Posts 10580
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 3:47 AM

Ben:
Mormons don't use them or write about them or read them. Most of these volumes are largely useless or irrelevant in studying modern Mormonism

Thanks Ben. Cancelled my long-standing bid.

Posts 1158
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 5:09 AM

Denise:
My favorite, which I gave to a fellow Christian wanting to better discuss, is hi-res images of the earliest writings, complete with color coded changes, and who made the changes. Sort of a critical edition of early Mormonism. 

Denise would you be willing to post a link to this one?

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 7:00 AM

Liam, the bookstore is www.DeseretBook.com but the web offering is similar to ChristianDiscount ... for a lighter reader. No luck.

I doubt you're near a Deseret bookstore scattered here and there ... they have a serious section with prices to match. The specific one, which I need to replace is about $120 and quite heavy. My apologies, absent going there!

I did find one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Philosophical-Foundations-Mormon-Theology/dp/B00AR05710  This is an oldie, quite short but a classic.  Mormons historically didn't spend too much time on systematic theology, but doing so is the better route to a successful discussion.

To discuss with Mormons, one would do well to remember they drew early membership from the Church of Christ (Stone-Campbell) and Presbyterians. And worked against the problem of the NT having quite a bit of unanswered questions. The latter is where they started.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS