Is there a DAILY reading plan that goes through the ENTIRE Protestant Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Robert Gore | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2016 1:27 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking for a daily lectionary that meets the following criteria:

1) goes through the ENTIRE Protestant Bible 

2) is similar in daily reading length as the Book of Common Prayer (1979) Daily Office Lectionary

3) also has advent days included to coincide with significant Christian times (i.e., Late December-Jesus immaculate conception and birth, Spring-death, burial and resurrection). 

Our church has been doing the Lectionary mentioned above for 10+ years, however it does not bring us through the entire canon of Scripture. Hence the reach out for help. 

If there is not a product is there a way to generate this reading plan OR has someone here already done so?

Thank you for your time and help,

Bobby Gore

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 8:23 PM

www.bibleinoneyear.org

Unfortunately not available in Logos, but already requested a number of times...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 26278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2016 9:32 PM

Robert Gore:

2) is similar in daily reading length as the Book of Common Prayer (1979) Daily Office Lectionary

3) also has advent days included to coincide with significant Christian times (i.e., Late December-Jesus immaculate conception and birth, Spring-death, burial and resurrection). 

I think you are setting up unrealistic expectations. The traditions that use a liturgical year marked by a lectionary expect that the complete Bible is covered by a combination of the lectionary for public worship (major service/morning prayer/evening prayer) and some form of liturgy of the hours for communal/familial/personal reading and private reading time. If I were you, I would look at the readings for the Office of Readings (2 year cycle) and replace the deuterocanonical works with the Gospels that are covered annually elsewhere.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 12:39 AM

The late 1990's ALPB (American Lutheran Publicity Bureau) breviary "For All The Saints" basically did the BCP daily lectionary, but did sort of change it a bit by going with the alternate Old Testament readings for the last weeks of year two where the primary reading is from Sirach. The introduction said that they did this because some readings from Sirach were already included, and this way includes readings from all the minor prophets - and in fact from from all the books of the (Protestant) Bible with the exception of 1st Chronicles.

It sounds like they did this just by going with the official BCP alternate first reading, but I don't have a copy of BCP right in front of me to compare.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:25 AM

Ken McGuire:
The late 1990's ALPB (American Lutheran Publicity Bureau) breviary "For All The Saints" basically did the BCP daily lectionary, but did sort of change it a bit by going with the alternate Old Testament readings for the last weeks of year two where the primary reading is from Sirach.

Didn't "For All the Saints" use the modified daily Lectionary as found in the Lutheran Book of Worship (which of course is an edition of the BCP 1979, although being as the LBW was published in 1978, it feels like it was first but I remember the preface talking about modifying the forth coming BCP daily lectionary)?

-dan

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:52 AM

Dan Francis:
Didn't "For All the Saints" use the modified daily Lectionary as found in the Lutheran Book of Worship (which of course is an edition of the BCP 1979, although being as the LBW was published in 1978, it feels like it was first but I remember the preface talking about modifying the forth coming BCP daily lectionary)?

Yup. As for the dates - there was a published draft edition of the BCP from 1977 before it was approved in 1979, And from word I heard from someone who was on one of the sub-committees that came up with the LBW, the Lutheran team and the Episcopalian team of liturgists were sharing their work during most of the process, even if they did come up with a few slight differences... Considering how the  16th century BCP was quite influenced by various Lutheran orders, and how English speaking Lutherans had used BCP translations for centuries, not too surprising.

My comments were basically a paraphrase from the Introduction to the 4th (and last) volume on the Lectionary. My copy is at home and I am not right now...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2016 7:29 AM

Robert Gore:

It may help you to have a look at the ecumenical bible reading plan. This plan is available from http://www.oeab.de/index.php?id=bibelleseplaene and there are quite a number of daily devotionals that follow this plan (unfortunately I know only of such in German language). I share this plan in the Faithlife group Logos Users Germany. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS