Media copyright

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 458
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 12 2016 4:51 AM

Is there a way I can know what media from Logos resources I am allowed to reuse in sermons? E.g., if I do a media search for "Jabbok", I get from my library 74 results in the "Library Results" section. Among other resources, the results include images from Bibleplaces.com, Holman Bible Atlas and the Rose Then and Now Bible Map Atlas. There is no warning that some of the media may be copyrighted (unlike the "Online Results" section which does warn about that), but when pursuing some of the respective images and a look at the title page of these books reveals that they are not to be reused under any circumstances.

I would just be nice to be getting results that are reusable without having to hunt through every time to the title page of the resource to find out. Maybe this is an impossible request.

Posts 8647
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2016 6:10 AM

I am no copyright law expert. But it has always been my understanding that fair use implies the ability to put any of those maps and charts on a screen during a sermon.

As far as the statements that some seem to prohibit reuse....  I always assumed that meant I can't take a map out of a book and put it in another item that is for sale.

You can use it unless you make money on it.

Now I'm going to watch this thread and see how wrong I am. Geeked

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 858
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2016 10:19 PM

We've spelled out the various permission and copyright issues here: https://www.logos.com/copyright-permissions. So the place to start is by asking who owns it: public domain, Faithlife, or third-party publisher? Anything with Logos Free or Logos User rights is specifically intended for use in preaching and teaching settings (but please read the specifics). If it's from a third-party, we don't own the rights so we can't give them to you.

And just for good measure: I am not a lawyer.

Posts 458
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:13 AM

Thanks Sean. I already have that page bookmarked for reference. But I just was trying to understand why material which so easily comes up in a search of library results is largely not available for even non-commercial use. However, that's the way this legal stuff works and that's life.

Posts 2639
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:51 AM

TCBlack:

You can use it unless you make money on it.

Now I'm going to watch this thread and see how wrong I am. Geeked

After reading the posted item on Logos and Copyright you may get in trouble even when you don't make money on it.

As in 'I did not sell it I just gave him a copy of the CD that I bought'  - the violation is that that person who made the copy cost the copyright owner a sale.

Posts 8647
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 7:04 AM

David Ames:

After reading the posted item on Logos and Copyright you may get in trouble even when you don't make money on it.

As in 'I did not sell it I just gave him a copy of the CD that I bought'  - the violation is that that person who made the copy cost the copyright owner a sale.

Displaying a map on a screen is not in the same category as giving someone a CD. 

That said, it looks like permissions@faithlife.com is the starting point for case by case answers.  Especially if an individual publisher doesn't have readily available contact information.

In the past, when confronted with this, I have written letters or emails to authors / publishers requesting permission and have always obtained an affirmative, provided attribution is made. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 858
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 10:55 AM

Faithlife has invested a great deal in creating our own media (as well as harvesting open-license media from the web, and building links back to non-open material on the web) because we understand users want to show and share, and we want to support that goal. Anything you see in the Media tool has either Logos Free or Logos user rights, which means you can use them for preaching and teaching. Likewise, the sections of Media Search are organized in part to group items with similar licenses. But it's a fair point that mixing Logos media in with other Library Results makes it harder to know what the rights are for individual items. I'll pass that feedback along.

Posts 458
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 12:06 AM

Thanks! If there was even a sorting option you could select when doing searches to give you only the usable results. Maybe that is too complicated to reproduce - just a thought.

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 6 2020 1:27 PM

I'm picking this thread back up with a pandemic application. We've had to go to livestreaming our services like so many have. Since service videos are posted online, is showing a graphic or map in a video sermon different than showing it in a live sermon as far as fair use rules go?

Posts 2497
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 6 2020 1:42 PM

Nicholas Roland:

I'm picking this thread back up with a pandemic application. We've had to go to livestreaming our services like so many have. Since service videos are posted online, is showing a graphic or map in a video sermon different than showing it in a live sermon as far as fair use rules go?

The same could be asked of worship music resources. Are they still under the same rules? In practice, live streaming opens a much greater potential audience, but in reality, you are still mostly running a local service. Would be nice to know and keep this all safely and properly legit. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS