Problems With Microsoft Word Citation

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 13
Nathan Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:15 PM

Bradley, I am using Word 2016. But, now my other previously unaffected 2011 Word is not working. 

Jon, this is not a temporary work around. The faithlife suggested macro is  the same suggestion provided by the initial poster in a macro form. Hence, it is nothing new to the post and should not be stated as such.

The fact is I cannot copy and paste from Logos into Word with the previously available automatic footnotes. Copying in RTF does not solve that or the added reference data problem.

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:42 PM

The problem began after a Microsoft update, not a Logos one.

Now, I could be completely misunderstanding the issue that it is presenting you. When I use it, with the assigned keystroke I gave it (Command + T, used the same one they used), it puts my footnotes down in a footnote at the bottom of the page on Word. I want to understand what the issue you're having is, because on my original post, which is HERE, this macro that was uploaded fixed the problem that I was having. 

As for all of the extra footnote stuff there is a setting in Logos for that (this is completely separate from the macro thing).  

If "Copy Footnotes" is turned on, it will copy all of the footnotes in the book or Bible that you're copying from, even using the Macro that the Logos person provided. 

This:

Versus this:

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 8:51 PM

Bradley,

There seems to be two different topics being covered by this thread now. My original post was that:

1. Before the recent update build to Mac Word 2016, I could copy a section of anything from Logos 7 (Scripture, commentary, journal, etc...).  Then when I pasted into Word, it automatically generated a footnote formatted according to my designated format in Logos 7.  2. After the recent update build to Mac Word 2016, when I pasted into Word from L7, it defaulted to place the footnote information immediately following what I pasted in the main Word document (no formatted footnote). 

The issue Nathan (or someone else reported) has to do with unwanted information that was being generated as a footnote or citation.  I believe Philana's recognized the issue as one with Microsoft but that Faithlife is working to see if they can code something on their side to override the "new" default paste that Microsoft seems to have changed with their new builds.

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 8:57 PM

Jeff,

You're issue was the same issue I was having, and I was confused as to what Nathan was experiencing. The macro workaround works for me. I think the issue Nathan was having was the setting in Logos that copies the footnotes that are within a book or other work in Logos. But, I'm not sure. 

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Jeff Terrell:
1. Before the recent update build to Mac Word 2016, I could copy a section of anything from Logos 7 (Scripture, commentary, journal, etc...).  Then when I pasted into Word, it automatically generated a footnote formatted according to my designated format in Logos 7.  2. After the recent update build to Mac Word 2016, when I pasted into Word from L7, it defaulted to place the footnote information immediately following what I pasted in the main Word document (no formatted footnote). 

This is the issue we've identified (with the update to Word) and the one we prepared a macro as a workaround for (announced here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/133854.aspx). 

Posts 13
Nathan Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 6:06 AM

Now I am angry. Please stop posting if you do not have anything new to say or share. 

Jon and now Bradley. All of your responses have already been posted in this forum thread by other people and addressed as not the solution.

Bradley, yours most of all is disturbing as a faithlife forum aid, you should know better. Please read the posts. That link you touted as a solution does not provide a solution or a work around any more than the initial fourth post in this forum already provided, that wasn't a solution. 

Jeff, my footnote problem is the same as yours with the added frustration when copying from scripture extra unwanted data is being transferred that previously was not, yet without the footnote.

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2016 6:43 AM

Nathan Chapman:
Jeff, my footnote problem is the same as yours with the added frustration when copying from scripture extra unwanted data is being transferred that previously was not, yet without the footnote.

Nathan - I'm sorry but I have read all the posts in this thread and looked at the screenshot you provided and I don't understand what the problem is you are describing.

I think that it is probably different to the one which the thread was originally about so I suggest you start a new thread and explain - again - what the problem is.

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Nathan Chapman:

Have you tried opening Program Settings and changing "Copy Citations" to "Yes" and "Copy Footnotes" to "No"?

(You will still have to use Paste Special RTF on Word for Mac 2016, due to a Microsoft Word bug.)

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 11:08 AM

Philana - thanks so much for putting this together. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.  I have it created as a macro, copied it to the Normal template, assigned Cmd+Option+V (unassigned previously), closed out of Word 2016 (Mac 15.30 build) and opened a new document.  

Went in to L7 and copied a line from BDAG.  Went back to my Word document (after pasting to TextEdit just to make sure it copied to the system clipboard) and ran my shortcut (Cmd+Option+V), and there is no response in Word.  I have assigned several other keyboard strokes to double check, and it still doesn't produce anything.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 11:15 AM

Additional Info - the macro runs great when I manually run it.  For some reason, Word will not run it via any combination of keyboard strokes I assign..

Posts 13
Nathan Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 1:19 PM

When you go into each document you can manually add the macro. :( 

View->View Macros ->organizer -> copy

The newest update did that to me as well!

Posts 3898
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 2:54 PM

Jeff Terrell:

Additional Info - the macro runs great when I manually run it.  For some reason, Word will not run it via any combination of keyboard strokes I assign..

The keyboard shortcut is something you need to check with Microsoft on, we have no control on how that works.

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2017 7:57 PM

Jeff Terrell:

Philana - thanks so much for putting this together. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.  I have it created as a macro, copied it to the Normal template, assigned Cmd+Option+V (unassigned previously), closed out of Word 2016 (Mac 15.30 build) and opened a new document.  

Went in to L7 and copied a line from BDAG.  Went back to my Word document (after pasting to TextEdit just to make sure it copied to the system clipboard) and ran my shortcut (Cmd+Option+V), and there is no response in Word.  I have assigned several other keyboard strokes to double check, and it still doesn't produce anything.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks in advance.

When I had to reset it up, after having to reformat my hard drive, I kept skipping the "Close the document and open a new one" instruction in between steps 5 and 6a. If you don't do that, the keystroke macro won't work. I don't know if this is the problem. I just updated to Microsoft Word build 15.31 (170117) and the macro still works on my setup. 

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:05 AM

Very helpful...I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:15 AM

Let us know if it works. I hope it does!

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 2:22 PM

Jon - i tried your approach.  So, here's the deal:

1. It Works - only when I use the original document with macro and select "Enable Macros" before it opens.

2. It Doesn't Work - if I try to use existing documents (my sermon notes with all the styles and keyboard shortcuts I have built over the past couple years) and then run the macro through the keyboard shortcut. In this case, the macro works when I manually run the macro, but this is an extra step I would like to avoid if at all possible.

What I am trying to do is to get the macro to execute via keystroke on my existing sermon doc with all the styles and keystrokes I have been working with.  

Has anyone gotten this to work in that context? 

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 4:49 PM

Jeff Terrell:

What I am trying to do is to get the macro to execute via keystroke on my existing sermon doc with all the styles and keystrokes I have been working with.  

Has anyone gotten this to work in that context? 

I'm not 100% sure if it's within the same context, but when I go and copy from a commentary or Bible and use the new keystroke for pasting it into existing documents/sermon notes, it pastes in with the footnotes just fine. Is this what you were talking about? 

Posts 260
Jeff Terrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 5:54 PM

What you described is what I am trying to achieve.  I can run the macro in that existing documents/sermon notes context, but the keystroke will not work.  It will only work in that original macro document with the keystroke.

Posts 542
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2017 8:25 PM

Jeff Terrell:

What you described is what I am trying to achieve.  I can run the macro in that existing documents/sermon notes context, but the keystroke will not work.  It will only work in that original macro document with the keystroke.

I don't know what to tell you. The only time I had a similar sounding problem is when I forgot the step on closing the document and opening a new one before assigning the keystroke. 

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2017 6:28 AM

Don't use Logos to directly paste into your documents -- use Zotero as a go between. You can copy the bibtex to the clipboard from Logos, push it as a new entry in Zotero, correct Logos' many many mistakes in their citations, and then actually keep track of/modify/etc. your citations. And they will even be properly formatted. You can even change the formatting used in the citations later on if you decide to for some reason.

Logos hasn't figure out citations in 10+ years, and they aren't likely to any time soon. 

Russ

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS