Out of the Loop for Some Time

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 9 2016 8:59 AM

Used to post a lot on here, but got busy with too many other things. And my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26 GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM is sssslllloooowww. It has the Mac wifi problem where some models get very slow internet. Plus my computer is old and I rarely use Logos on it because it's just a dog. So I've decided to get a new computer and get a Logos 7 base package.

How fast would a 2016 Macbook Air Core i7 with 8 GB RAM be? I'm assuming it's going to be pretty quick, but I know you can't expand the RAM on these models and I want a laptop that is going to be functional with Logos for 5 years or so. 

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2016 9:08 AM

I went with the (2015) Pro (2.2/16/256) instead of the Air, and Logos runs well on it. I'd strongly recommend 16 GB RAM. It may seem like a lot, but the OS will take advantage of it all, and still need swap space, depending on how many apps you have open.

You might notice a slight (scrolling) delay if you use a lot of link sets and/or visual filters, but it's very responsive in general.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2016 12:17 PM

Jeremy:
Used to post a lot on here, but got busy with too many other things.

I hope you are planning to return more often once you get a new machine. I don't use a Mac but I think the most significant thing you can do to improve performance is install a SSD in your new machine. If you do you will barely notice when Logos is indexing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 3:40 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I don't use a Mac but I think the most significant thing you can do to improve performance is install a SSD in your new machine.

New MacBook Pro PCIe/NVMe flash storage is noticeably faster than SSD => http://bgr.com/2016/11/01/macbook-pro-2016-ssd-speed/ (up to 2.2 Gbps).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 12:51 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
New MacBook Pro PCIe/NVMe flash storage is noticeably faster than SSD => http://bgr.com/2016/11/01/macbook-pro-2016-ssd-speed/ (up to 2.2 Gbps).

I didn't realize that. Almost makes we want to convert to a Mac.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 1:06 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I didn't realize that. Almost makes we want to convert to a Mac.

You can run these drives on PCs as well, and several modern PC laptops support it: http://laptopmedia.com/news/dirt-cheap-alternatives-for-laptops-supporting-the-latest-pcie-nvme-ssd-standard/ 

And if you build your own (and have the money and a compatible motherboard), it's certainly an option: http://www.pcgamer.com/best-nvme-ssds/ 

Posts 2711
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 2:52 PM

The latest PCIe drive is starting to be more common in PC form as is faster DDR4 RAM. I'd be looking for both of these if you were shopping for new.  It's pretty much a buyer's market these days.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2016 3:41 PM

Mark Barnes:
You can run these drives on PCs as well, and several modern PC laptops support it: http://laptopmedia.com/news/dirt-cheap-alternatives-for-laptops-supporting-the-latest-pcie-nvme-ssd-standard/ 

Thanks for pointing this out Mark. I'm not in the market for a new PC right now but I will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 13 2016 2:07 AM

Jeremy 

For Logos on any system the disk drive access speed, graphic, and of course type of CPU used are the main things to look at.

I checked the 2016 MacBook air for some online testing and the benchmark I saw showed that under Nova Bench the 2016 MacBook Air had a score of 624, the PCIe SSD WRITE 611MBs / READ 735MBs. The MBA with i7, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD would be a dual core system and will run Logos better than your old MacBook Pro.

I have the 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with Quad core i7, 16GB ram, 256GB PCIe 3gen x4 SSD, Nova bench for this system was 1,001, the SSD speeds are  WRITE 1,100MBs / READ 1,835MBs as you know Logos Indexing uses a lot of power, and also any search we do both of these are tied to Disk access. 

I upgraded last year and this my first Mac, I also wanted a computer to last for the next five years. I looked at the dual core i7 but went with the Quad core 15" because I like the idea that I may have more than I need now and the system could be used over five years. 

I only keep my day to day data files, iTunes, and Logos installed on the internal SSD, I have an external SSD that I carry for everything else.  That gives me 120GB free space on the Mac.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS