How can I speed up my lexicon use?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 12
Brian Dalbow | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 10 2016 3:26 PM

I am working on a few assignments where I have to translate the Hebrew text. I would like to be able to use my Brown-Driver-Briggs more quickly, but find myself slowed down by the process.   For example, I need to look at the use of (קָרָא) in Isaiah 61:6. Since this is a common word, the BDB's entry is very long.   Is there a way I could do a quick search within an entry to find the specific instance I need opposed to having to scroll through looking for IS 61:6.  I know if my Hebrew skills were better this would not be as difficult, but that is not the case. Thanks for the help!

Posts 752
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 4:20 PM

Brian Dalbow:

I am working on a few assignments where I have to translate the Hebrew text. I would like to be able to use my Brown-Driver-Briggs more quickly, but find myself slowed down by the process.   For example, I need to look at the use of (קָרָא) in Isaiah 61:6. Since this is a common word, the BDB's entry is very long.   Is there a way I could do a quick search within an entry to find the specific instance I need opposed to having to scroll through looking for IS 61:6.  I know if my Hebrew skills were better this would not be as difficult, but that is not the case. Thanks for the help!

You can link your bible to a lexicon to streamline this process: see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/123770/808445.aspx. Once you've brought up the lexical entry, search (Ctrl-F) for the Bible reference is probably the fastest way to find a specific instance (of course, there may not be one).

You may also find Exegetical Guide/Lemma in Passage helpful: the idea here it to show commentary on the intersection of a particular lemma and passage (but this content comes from commentaries, not lexicons).

Posts 2066
LogosEmployee

Try opening up the visual filter menu in the BDB panel and turn on the "Emphasize active references". This will highlight any references that match your active reference in your Bible or other panels.

Posts 3190
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2016 4:40 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Try opening up the visual filter menu in the BDB panel and turn on the "Emphasize active references". This will highlight any references that match your active reference in your Bible or other panels.

Priceless!

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 10:18 PM

I have a similar problem but different.

But what do you do if you're handed a sheet of paper with biblical Hebrew on it and there is no bible reference; just a made up sentence based on the vocabulary covered in the course so far? 

I'd like to use BDB rather than referring back to the vocabulary sheet given by the lecturer as that resource is paper based and won't always be ready to hand.

I suppose the question is, how to look up any random biblical Hebrew word efficiently with BDB?

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 12:35 AM

Genghis:
I suppose the question is, how to look up any random biblical Hebrew word efficiently with BDB?

You can search for it - and then search results are highlighted in the resource

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 1:13 AM

Thx so much for replying Graham:  Please bear with me, but how did you type Hebrew into the search field?

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 2:18 AM

Genghis:
Please bear with me, but how did you type Hebrew into the search field?

On this occasion I didn't type it in, I copied it from a text.

But - in general - I would use transliteration.

Selecting the term from the dropdown allows the search

This is fine if vowel markings match but that is not always the case. So, more generally, using the [match nomarks] qualifier is helpful here

I'm afraid I don't know Hebrew but hopefully this helps

Posts 2995
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 2:21 PM

This is one of the best pieces of advice you will find with regard to lexicon use.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 7:55 PM

I found a page that shows how to do it:  https://wiki.logos.com/How_to_enter_text_in_Greek_and_Hebrew

Ok, now looking up Hebrew words is not tedious.

Downloading the keyboards works well on a tablet as the onscreen keyboards present Hebrew letters and vowels.

Its not so easy on a PC or conventional laptop.

On an ordinary laptop or PC then using Shibboleth is the best as it gives you an onscreen Hebrew keyboard so its relatively easy to use. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS