Convert Kindle books to Logos?

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 292
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 14 2016 8:47 AM

I have a number of commentaries that Logos doesn't have available, in Kindle. Is there a way to convert them to personal books so I can read them alongside my other commentaries on my Logos desktop?

Thanks!

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 8:51 AM

Hi Mathew - and welcome to the forums

Mathew Voth:
I have a number of commentaries that Logos doesn't have available, in Kindle. Is there a way to convert them to personal books so I can read them alongside my other commentaries on my Logos desktop?

It may be technically possible but may not be legal in all countries - see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93803/651386.aspx#651386 for a suggestion as to how to approach this

Graham 

Posts 292
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 9:14 AM

Thanks!

I've actually posted 100s of times...not sure why my count is suddenly at 2!

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 9:20 AM

Mathew Voth:
I've actually posted 100s of times

Sorry about thatEmbarrassed

Mathew Voth:
not sure why my count is suddenly at 2!

Normally a "zeroed count" is due to changing the email address associated with your Logos account. Have you done that recently?

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanson (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 11:27 AM

I adjusted your post count and Graham is correct with the cause.

Posts 2748
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 14 2016 11:42 AM

Matthew, as has been stated, it is very easy to convert Kindle books to Logos personal books.  However, there is disagreement as to the legality.

If you purchase a book legally, I don't see a real problem with converting that book to another format in order for you to read and use it.  That is not everyone's opinion, and I am no lawyer.  I regard it much like buying a cd and converting the songs to mp3 to listen to them on your iPod or cell phone, which has been held to be legal.

There is no question that it is illegal and violation of copyright to share either the converted book or the original file with anyone else.  That is not in dispute.  It does not matter if you give it away for free or sell it. 

It is a matter of conscience.  Frequently, you can obtain permission to do this for your personal use, and then there is no issue of conscience.  I have on a number of occasions been able to obtain permission from authors or publishers to convert one of their books to a personal book.  Always worth a try.

Obviously, you would have to convert the Kindle file into a Word document.  The free program Calibre does that for most Kindle books.  Then just make a Personal Book from the Word document.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1627
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 10:16 AM

I've created a small tool that can convert Kindle to HTML without removing (or even touching) the DRM. Actually this thread here got me first thinking about the idea.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/amazon-global/81-amazon-kindle-ebook-downloader

Since I'm not a lawyer either, I can't comment on the legality either, however for countries where removing DRM is clearly illegal, my tool might be a good option.

--
Jan Krohn -- Returning back to Germany after 5 years of Mission Work in Cambodia. Starting Next Now...
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 1537
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 10:40 AM

Jan:

I haven't tried your program yet, but my experience is that HTML is the ideal intermediate format for copying and pasting into Word, as it preserves text formatting that can either be recognized by the PB compiler as a TOC heading, or makes it simple in Word to convert to headings. Also, any pictures will survive the conversion (my experience, YMMV). That would include original language words that are actually little pictures.

Thanks for making this.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 99
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 6:44 PM

Great idea, is there a Mac version?

Posts 1627
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 9:07 PM

Matthew:

Great idea, is there a Mac version?

Sounds good. Two minor problems with that:

1. I hate Apple.
  2. Apple hates me.

If the Windows app is successful, I might consider learning C# and do a cross-platform mobile app instead.

--
Jan Krohn -- Returning back to Germany after 5 years of Mission Work in Cambodia. Starting Next Now...
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 209
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 10 2017 10:57 PM

Danke, Jan! This is great!

Any chance a future version could automatically scroll through the book or at least some kind of indicator that shows how far one should scroll?

It seems like this doesn't work for books which would download in Topaz format when using Kindle for PC.

Posts 1627
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 12:10 AM

Bernhard:
Any chance a future version could automatically scroll through the book or at least some kind of indicator that shows how far one should scroll?

My first thought was "no" as this would create a mass scraping tool for piracy purposes. Thinking about it again now, ebook pirates already have their tools of choice with Calibre plus the DRM removal plugin. So I can investigate and add that feature without danger of misuse.

Bernhard:
It seems like this doesn't work for books which would download in Topaz format when using Kindle for PC.

I've already noticed that... This feature is definitely up for investigation, and coming in the next version if it's feasible to implement.

--

Posts 291
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 10:13 AM

Jan Krohn:

I've created a small tool that can convert Kindle to HTML without removing (or even touching) the DRM. Actually this thread here got me first thinking about the idea.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/amazon-global/81-amazon-kindle-ebook-downloader

Thank you for this tool! I'm working with Word2016 and can't get images to show/display in the imported html file into Word. Word is correctly set to display images . . . thoughts? Again, thanks, this will be a great help for working with texts I have which are not in Logos.

Posts 1627
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 10:25 AM

Jerry Smith:
Thank you for this tool! I'm working with Word2016 and can't get images to show/display in the imported html file into Word. Word is correctly set to display images . . . thoughts?

Seems like Word doesn't like embedded images... How about the following approach: click into the right panel, mark all (ctrl+a), copy (ctrl+c), then paste into Word.

I'll add a "copy all" button to the next version.

--

Posts 291
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 10:45 AM

Jan Krohn:
How about the following approach: click into the right panel, mark all (ctrl+a), copy (ctrl+c), then paste into Word.
Tested this with a text and the graphics do not come across . . . I'll fuss some more and see if I can come up with an option . . . Thank you for any assistance.

Posts 291
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 11:13 AM

Jan Krohn:
How about the following approach: click into the right panel, mark all (ctrl+a), copy (ctrl+c), then paste into Word.
Could be the long way around . . . but, opened the html in Chrome, "printed" with Acrobat Pro, "exported" a Word document. Did pretty well. Ran Find/Replace several times to remove double spaces between words. Created a Personal Book in Logos and it imported well and with images. It works, "the long way around."

Posts 1627
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 11 2017 7:27 PM

I've done some research, and found an easier way.

If you open Word on https://www.office.com/ (online version), and paste the book into there, all images are preserved. You can then download a local copy, and continue editing the document offline.

--

Posts 1412
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 5:33 PM

Jan Krohn:

I've done some research, and found an easier way.

If you open Word on https://www.office.com/ (online version), and paste the book into there, all images are preserved. You can then download a local copy, and continue editing the document offline.

YesYes

Posts 2553
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 5:57 PM

Jan Krohn:
If you open Word on https://www.office.com/ (online version)

What would the difference be?

I've never used the online version. I have an Office365 subscription...so does that mean I have access to the online version of Word?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1537
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 6:26 PM

Doc B:
I've never used the online version. I have an Office365 subscription...so does that mean I have access to the online version of Word?

It does.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS